Build 2459: Spliced parts synchromized!

Build 2459: Spliced parts synchromized!

Hi All

Anyone else having this problem? When I slice a track into two or more parts I can’t treat the parts separately in terms of sliding them around… they act synchronized. If I wanted them sync’d, I wouldn’t have split them! :slight_smile:

Paul

Found it… new feature on a right click and Un-Group Parts! Not sure that’s really a time-saving!

Thanks!
I was just scratching my head over that one late last night.

Drove me insane for a couple of days.

Could be the start of a Class Action Suit

Yeah!
Well, maybe not, but I think it’s kinda backwards that this feature is turned ON by default. The opposite makes a lot more sense to me.

That said, it’s a bit embarrasing that I didn’t discover the right-click option.
I always tell people @ work that when stuck, right-click & see what happens.
(Those folks think I know a lot of stuff that I don’t)
:laugh:

:laugh: Nice one teryeah. I spend around two hours a day fiddling around with n-T and other related stuff and still struggle with the basics when it comes to actually doing a track:-)

It was the group thing being on by default that pushed me over the edge and into the dark reaches of Reaper… Just could not see any logical justification for it being like that by default. Daz

Quote: (teryeah @ Feb. 12 2010, 2:01 PM)

Yeah!
Well, maybe not, but I think it's kinda backwards that this feature is turned ON by default. The opposite makes a lot more sense to me.

What he said :agree:

It’s really only a time consumer in the sense that if you had scrambled your parts without knowing. Then your saved the time it would take to reposition. It makes sense if you look at it like; the track is originally whole, then phase two is cut and phase 3 is ungrouping. Makes sense in perspective.

Quote: (Levi @ Feb. 15 2010, 9:29 AM)

It makes sense if you look at it like; the track is originally whole, then phase two is cut and phase 3 is ungrouping.

Nope, don't think so.
Phase 3 should be completely unnessecary if you did phase 2 on purpose, which I suspect most people do.
If not, there's always 'undo'.

Like Daz, I fail to see the logic behind this...

I’ve said the same from the moment I found out they group by default. I don’t care for it that way. But I think Flavio is thinking of the person who might loose parts of a track or worse. Who knows, who cares, I’ve gotten used to it now.

Quote: (Levi @ Feb. 15 2010, 9:29 AM)

It's really only a time consumer in the sense that if you had scrambled your parts without knowing.
Then your saved the time it would take to reposition.
It makes sense if you look at it like; the track is originally whole, then phase two is cut and phase 3 is ungrouping.
Makes sense in perspective.

I think there are two issues:
1 - if you splice a part (i.e. wave file), by select a portion of the middle of the file and pressing S, you end up with three parts. The three parts are all selected, as the spliced parts inherit the 'selected' flag of the original part. When you try to move any of the parts the others will move too, but as soon as you reset the selection (by clicking with the mouse on an empty spot on the timeline and then back into the part you want to drag, or by pressing Ctrl+0) you can then drag the parts without dragging the others

2 - if you splice a part that is already grouped with other parts, you end up with 3 parts instead of the the original one, which are all grouped together, and selected, as the 3 spliced parts inherit both the "grouped" and "selected" flags from the original part.

I can change both behaviors easily, there is no technical difficulty, I just want to be sure of what's the most useful behavior. The way it is now is just the result of the most straightforward way to implement it (i.e. new parts inherit attributes of the original).

I think it's clear that in scenario 2 the spliced part (the one in the middle) should be ungrouped so that you can move it freely.
What to do with the selection seems somewhat more tricky, it's awkward that after splicing (or pasting, the same stuff applies there too) all of the parts are selected so you're not immediately free to move the pasted part. The pasted part could be unselected, or all of the other parts could be unselected and the pasted part could be selected, or no part could be selected at all.

Comments would be welcome.

Flavio.

Would it be possible to have a check box in preferences -

Ungroup splices ??

Or a flag with a check box appears when a spice is made - Group or Ungroup
This would require an extra click, maybe a Preference setting of "Ask for
group or Ungroup when splicing"
Bax

A check box to “auto group parts” or “not auto group parts” in preferences, with the option to right click and choose to group or ungroup parts at any time would be short and sweet.

Quote: (Levi @ Feb. 17 2010, 12:48 AM)

A check box to "auto group parts" or "not auto group parts" in preferences, with the option to right click and choose to group or ungroup parts at any time would be short and sweet.

I agree. :)

PACO
Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Feb. 16 2010, 2:49 PM)

[quote=Levi,Feb. 15 2010, 9:29 AM]What to do with the selection seems somewhat more tricky, it's awkward that after splicing (or pasting, the same stuff applies there too) all of the parts are selected so you're not immediately free to move the pasted part. The pasted part could be unselected, or all of the other parts could be unselected and the pasted part could be selected, or no part could be selected at all.

Flavio.

Flavio, I know for me, when I'm cutting a note to move or copying and pasting. I don't necessary care if the present behavior, volume draw settings etc., are applied as I move it or past it to a new location. I mean it should still have all the same eq settings but not the previous position volume draw settings.
That is tricky

If I move a note or group of notes. I only want the note and the tone, same eq.
I think I've noticed that when I copy a section and add it to a different track, I sometimes get different tone even with the eq settings saved and applied. I could be wrong on this.
I'm just rambling my point, hope someone else chimes in.