Bush admits mistakes

<!–QuoteBegin>

In unusually introspective comments, Bush said he regrets his cowboy rhetoric the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks such as his “wanted dead or alive” description of Osama bin Laden and his taunting “bring ’em on” challenge to Iraqi insurgents.

“In certain parts of the world, it was misinterpreted.”

He also cited the mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners at the U.S.-run Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad. “We’ve been paying for that for a long time,” Bush said.

I’m sorry but I watched Bush make this remarks & he just doesn’t seem sincere. It looks like he was advised to say this & he’s not a good enough actor to pull it off.

I especially like this line:

<!–QuoteBegin>

In certain parts of the world, it was misinterpreted.

Just how many ways are there to interpret his challenge?

KingFish

must be that 30% approval rating :)cowboy dub is meeting with blair to figure how to get out of this one-the whole war mess is just a small part of the damage dub has done to the country,the economy, and the constitution

Quote (KingFish @ May 26 2006,14:15)

<!–QuoteBegin>

KingFish

Quite a few as evidenced by the LMSM’s characterization of “cowboy rhetoric,” which was NOT a direct quote. A lot of the misinterpretation around the world seems to come from our own American left.

Aw ####… it’s on now! :D

D

The cowboy rhetoric is correct ksdb. Any reasonable person would see that.

Quote (ksdb @ May 26 2006,01:48)
Quote (KingFish @ May 26 2006,14:15)

KingFish

Quite a few as evidenced by the LMSM's characterization of "cowboy rhetoric," which was NOT a direct quote. A lot of the misinterpretation around the world seems to come from our own American left.
Sorry pal....that's just plain silly. Firstly, there is no real LMSM. Please identify just who all those LMSM reporters are for future debate. I can think of only a scant handful.

I AM a cowboy unlike the drug store version of GW "Hop-a_Long-Cassidy" Bush.

I saw his original speech......................"Bring it On" means "Bring it On". They brought it on.

Osama says "Hey" (ala Goober Pyle)

Impeach Bush. Incarcerate Cheney. Feed the rest to the wolves. Let my dog run the country.

KingFish

Bush on bin Laden in March 13, 2002:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Terror is bigger than one person. And he’s just – he’s a person who’s now been marginalized. His network, his host government has been destroyed. He’s the ultimate parasite who found weakness, exploited it, and met his match. He is – as I mentioned in my speech, I do mention the fact that this is a fellow who is willing to commit youngsters to their death and he, himself, tries to hide – if, in fact, he’s hiding at all.

So I don’t know where he is. You know, I just don’t spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you. I’m more worried about making sure that our soldiers are well-supplied; that the strategy is clear; that the coalition is strong; that when we find enemy bunched up like we did in Shahikot Mountains, that the military has all the support it needs to go in and do the job, which they did.

I’m trying to remember how many times they told us that they had gotten the 3rd in command :laugh:

Bush & Blair are real nervous about Iraq & they ought to be. They don’t have a clue how it will turn out.

Quote (KingFish @ May 26 2006,15:17)

Sorry pal…that’s just plain silly. Firstly, there is no real LMSM. Please identify just who all those LMSM reporters are for future debate. I can think of only a scant handful.

Silly is saying there is no real LMSM and then admitting that you can think of a handful of LMSM reporters. Be consistent if you’re going to deny that the LMSM exists.

I AM a cowboy unlike the drug store version of GW “Hop-a_Long-Cassidy” Bush.

Right … and you’ve got the dime-machine horse saddle sores to prove it??

I saw his original speech…“Bring it On” means “Bring it On”. They brought it on.

And they weren’t going to bring it on until they heard Bush say this??? What were the terrorists doing instead: crochet??

Osama says “Hey” (ala Goober Pyle)

And you know this because you bunk in his garage??

Impeach Bush. Incarcerate Cheney. Feed the rest to the wolves. Let my dog run the country.

KingFish

Here’s hoping the dog is a little better-spoken than its master.

Boy, ksdb,yo sure are in crappy mood today aren’t you?

Is LMSM Liberal Main Stream Media or Lying Main Stream Media? I say we use Lying Main Stream Media so we can include CMSM in the mix.

I also say most media does indeed seem to be slanted left, but for a good reason – it’s a logical conclusion based on the facts. They report that this administration is doing wrong because it is.

It’s their job to be knowledgeable about a subject before editorializing. When they do their job properly they actually find out many facts and many lies and see all the slantedness first hand, both left and right. If they are any kind of journalist at all, they will have more knowledge than most of us by the end of the day-week-month. It’s when they start putting it all together and start making heads and tails out of it that the conclusions these days almost always points in a way that looks like a liberal slant to those that don’t have the full story, or don’t care to draw conclusions based on all the facts. If the conclusions as based on real data were otherwise we’d see it.

It’s those journalists that don’t do the legwork or don’t want to for whatever reason (usually political reasons) that gives the rest a bad name. Dan Rather and a few reporters under him at the time are great publicized examples of this, but Fox News is breaking new ground every day, and we all know Murdock has little reason to make sure Fox is getting the real truth out for the same reason CBS wasn’t before.

I say across the board MOST of them get it right, but the only way to know is to listen to a lot of them and read many different papers.

Lets see here…War for no reason in Iraq ,just cuz!!..it was the Saudi’s and osama in Afghanistan for 9/11…Iraq was not even close to a threat= 100,000+dead. trashing of the constitution by a man that has been arrested for cocaine,insider trading and going AWOL during the VN war. Debt that could bring this country to it’s knees, if the republigunz stay in power any longer we’re in serious trouble. Sorry KSDB it doesn’t work for 70% of the people in this country anylonger…I’m just surprised it’s taken so long for so many people to see this idiot is the real terrorist. and an Ecoterrorist to boot.

Cheers
Cruiser:blues:

Quote (phoo @ May 26 2006,17:20)
Boy, ksdb,yo sure are in crappy mood today aren’t you?

You seem to be projecting your own mood onto me, because I’m plenty happy. Maybe you just find it annoying to see liberal assumptions and clichès get challenged??

Is LMSM Liberal Main Stream Media or Lying Main Stream Media? I say we use Lying Main Stream Media so we can include CMSM in the mix.

It stands for laughable mainstream media. While much of the media has a liberal tilt, there is a difference between the LMSM and Liberal Media, the latter of which I consider to be outside of the mainstream — way outside.

I also say most media does indeed seem to be slanted left, but for a good reason – it’s a logical conclusion based on the facts. They report that this administration is doing wrong because it is.

No, the LMSM rarely worries about the difference between right and wrong. They’re more concerned about casting a negative perception, and they’re very successful at that. Facts are just a nuisance, but occasionally they get things right in spite of themselves. For example, throwing out a phrase such as “cowboy rhetoric” is not based on a fact; it’s an opinion that has an agenda behind it.

It’s their job to be knowledgeable about a subject before editorializing. When they do their job properly they actually find out many facts and many lies and see all the slantedness first hand, both left and right. If they are any kind of journalist at all, they will have more knowledge than most of us by the end of the day-week-month. It’s when they start putting it all together and start making heads and tails out of it that the conclusions these days almost always points in a way that looks like a liberal slant to those that don’t have the full story, or don’t care to draw conclusions based on all the facts. If the conclusions as based on real data were otherwise we’d see it.

Wow, that sounds reasonable, but at the same it’s a little idealistic and not necessarily realistic. Instead of becoming knowledgeable, the LMSM often cherrypicks a few sensational quotes or blurs context to get the most negative spin.

It’s those journalists that don’t do the legwork or don’t want to for whatever reason (usually political reasons) that gives the rest a bad name. Dan Rather and a few reporters under him at the time are great publicized examples of this, but Fox News is breaking new ground every day, and we all know Murdock has little reason to make sure Fox is getting the real truth out for the same reason CBS wasn’t before.

Rather was definitely involved in some Rather dubious storylines. What specifically has Fox done to parallel that??

I say across the board MOST of them get it right, but the only way to know is to listen to a lot of them and read many different papers.

Yes, that helps, but too often most of these sources carry the same wire stories and don’t independently verify facts and allegations.

Anybody read THIS ???

Is this guy full of crap? I dunno…

I think this bullshit divisiveness feeds on itself and in our US society as we have “built” it, is inevitable. If we had never gone to war in Iraq, the political morons would be trying to divide us over something else. Why not? They try to divide us over EVERYTHING! Politics, religion, cultural arts, economic views, ecology, you name it. Someone who is richer and/or more powerful than someone else WILL try push their views on persons less fortunate.

The article linked above more closely matches accounts I have heard from people who have actually BEEN over there. More than one guy has come home and said “WTF? This is not right.” when he sees how the efforts in Iraq are being portrayed to the general public here at home. I don’t think my friends and neighbors who have served over there have any reason to blow smoke up my shorts… or do you guys think THEY are lying too?

D – not left-wing, not right-wing, human being. :)

Quote (cruiser @ May 26 2006,17:21)
Lets see here…War for no reason in Iraq ,just cuz!!..it was the Saudi’s and osama in Afghanistan for 9/11…Iraq was not even close to a threat= 100,000+dead. trashing of the constitution by a man that has been arrested for cocaine,insider trading and going AWOL during the VN war. Debt that could bring this country to it’s knees, if the republigunz stay in power any longer we’re in serious trouble. Sorry KSDB it doesn’t work for 70% of the people in this country anylonger…I’m just surprised it’s taken so long for so many people to see this idiot is the real terrorist. and an Ecoterrorist to boot.

Cheers
Cruiser:blues:

People are obviously tired of hearing about the war. They’re fed daily sound bytes about the most violent and chaotic events that the LMSM can dig up. It wears everybody down, but many of these same Americans will turn around and recognize that we aren’t in a position to walk away or to give up. Further, this war is only being perpetuated beause there are bad people over there who continue to use violence, as much or more against their own countrymen as they do against our troops. Why are we to assume that these people wouldn’t seek ways to attack us on America soil if we weren’t there to face them in Iraq??

The whole discussion of liberal bias has had me baffled for a long time. How do you decide what is liberal or not liberal to start out with?

A few months ago the owners of the company that I work for, one of our European reps, and I were sitting down to a meal. When one of our owners made the a comment about liberal bias in the press, I asked our European rep (from the UK) if he had heard enough of the news reporting in this country to make a judgement. He laughed and said ‘Are you kidding?’ Not really knowing what he was thinking I said ‘No you really will have to enlighten me’. He said ‘To anyone from Europe it appears to have a heavy conservative bias’. Mind you this was a working, dress suit, European corporate type. So go figure. I think Phoo is on target.

T

Quote (tspringer @ May 26 2006,18:07)
The whole discussion of liberal bias has had me baffled for a long time. How do you decide what is liberal or not liberal to start out with?

A few months ago the owners of the company that I work for, one of our European reps, and I were sitting down to a meal. When one of our owners made the a comment about liberal bias in the press, I asked our European rep (from the UK) if he had heard enough of the news reporting in this country to make a judgement. He laughed and said 'Are you kidding?' Not really knowing what he was thinking I said 'No you really will have to enlighten me'. He said 'To anyone from Europe it appears to have a heavy conservative bias'. Mind you this was a working, dress suit, European corporate type. So go figure. I think Phoo is on target.

T

Wow, that's great. Your ONE anecdote really sums it up. Maybe Europe carries more Bush-bashing headlines than they do in America?? That must automatically make the American media conservative.

Oh well, gone are the days of the old monkey in the guitar gag…
All good things must come to an end eh? ???

i had a good one the other day, it was a monkey with the likeness of Old Georgy, should have saved it for just such an occasion.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

KSDb Your reply had nothing to do with what I said! This was a war of CHOICE…Iraq was a no player in terrorism really until we started this war for absolutely no reason. We’ve killed over 2000 of our bravest and maimed around 20000 for NO REASON. they have all suffered and died for nothing but the ego of a band of terrorists sitting in the white house. ??? The war on terrorism was legit in Afghanistan but Dubya blew it big time by going into Iraq…What about the Debt that is the biggest by far of any president in history. I truly believe that ol GW is the worst president in the history of our nation.hehe I’m the decider hehe…my how intelligent he speaks…scary scary for him to have the power of the U.S. in his hands.
Cruiser

Europe DOES carry A LOT of Bush-bashing headlines. European editorials across the board have, to various degrees, been laughing at Bush since day one, portraying him as a cross between a charicature cowboy & a joke. He has done nothing in his foreign policies to refute that view.

That must automatically make most Euro editors & commentators idiots since they don’t agree with ksdb.

Phoo IS on target. Tim too, with his emphasis on being a human being and not just a liberal or conservative or whatnot…