Buying a guitar on line...

How stupid is it?

I want to buy a new guitar. Fact is, I want a Rick 330. No one around here sells them. How stupid would it be to buy one on line? ???

Not stupid at all. I just bought a bass guitar online. I buy most of my stuff on eBay. I bought most of my studio stuff online, my amps, several guitars, etc.

You need to be careful like any online transaction. You need to make sure that the instrument is insured and packaged correctly.

Not stupid at all, like Mr Soul said, I’ve bought tons of stuff on-line. Never had a problem - But pay the extra for insurance.

Just bought a cello on line - arrived yesterday - no problems at all.

.-=gp=-.

The only thing Tom is not being able to play that guit-fiddle first. Never found any 2 guitars to play exactly the same.

Quote (YazMiester @ Mar. 19 2005,06:50)
The only thing Tom is not being able to play that guit-fiddle first. Never found any 2 guitars to play exactly the same.

Thus, MAKE SURE the vendor has a good return policy. Also, I have NEVER bought or traded for a guitar or bass that I did not immediately take home, strip down, clean, polish, restring and setup to my liking before I was happy with it.

Order it up, play it for a while before the return time runs out and if it seems "right" and you know it can be setup to your liking, keep it. If not, ship it back. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's been my experience anyway........

TG
Quote (YazMiester @ Mar. 19 2005,06:50)

This is the problem. This is going to be a big expense for me, on the order of 1500 US dollars, and it just gives me the whim whams...

:)

I bought my Martin online from musciansfiend. I already owned a similar model, so I pretty much knew what I was getting though.

By the way… Don’t buy soundcards from MusiciansFriend, they do not accept returns unless the card is defective, and then they will only exchange it. I bought a USB soundcard for my laptop when I was DJ’ing and found out that it was not compatible with the software I was using, MF would not let me return it and I sold it on eBay for a loss.

I bought my Martin online from musciansfiend. I already owned a similar model, so I pretty much knew what I was getting though.

I also bought an acoustic guitar online once but I will never do it again. There is so much variability in acoustics that you really need to play the one you buy.

Did you get lucky with yours John?

I’ve bought two guitars from online classifieds (not auction sites) but I spoke with the sellers before I made up my mind and we agreed on a return & refund deal before I bought their items. The idea behind these conversations was to get some kind of impression of the sellers. Alas, there was some trust floating around but I haven’t been burned :)
Dunno how well this scenario translates to the US though…

Well, teryeah, we’re a rapacious bunch of buggers here, basically you have to find an ex-hippie - that way you know you can trust him or her. :)

Heh - so you’re basically saying that most of the good guys are over here :)

…or aren’t Republicans. :D

Quote (Mr Soul @ Mar. 19 2005,14:04)
I also bought an acoustic guitar online once but I will never do it again. There is so much variability in acoustics that you really need to play the one you buy.

Did you get lucky with yours John?

Yeah, I like it just fine. However... It wasn't one of the top of the line models, and I bought it mainly to have an electric/acoustic to use live. It's got great action, and plays very nicely. But for recording, I still prefer the mic'd sound of my old Yamaha.
Quote (teryeah @ Mar. 20 2005,11:58)
Heh - so you're basically saying that most of the good guys are over here :)

Most definitely.

Heh… This crap even comes up in a discussion about buying a guitar. Give it a rest, people.