Can't start newer versions of ntrack 6!

Hi,
in July I registered my Trial version of N-Track 6 (6.1.1. 2692) and used my new Audio-Interface Focusrite Scarlett 18i6. The situation was at the beginning a little unstable - a lot of error messages(don’t know if Focusrite-drivers or n-track was responsible), but after a while I found out how to make my records in this situation.

Later on I downloaded a newer N-Track version. I installed it and could use it, but someday the PC was shutting down during the N-track usages. I don’t know what was responsible - but I think I made something like changing the drivers Asio or MME or changing the buffer size or the frequency… When I restart the PC and tried to open N-Track it was no more possible! I saw only the N-Track 6 entrance screen and a message appears which says that the buffer size is to small and n-track can adjust it automatically - and You have the joice to click YES or NO.

But You can click both, N-Track does not start! - I uninstalled the whole program and re-installed it again, but it has no effect!.. Always the same situation, the newer versions will not start!

If I install my first N-Track 6-version(build 2693) the program starts and I can use it.

So, what can I do in this situation?! - The newer versions are probably more stable(and also the Scarlett drivers are up to date).

I installed today version 6.1.2 … its the same situation! I cant start it!

Regards
LOMI

Using Window XP SP3 - Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 USB-Audiointerface - Scarlett Mixcontrol 1.1 - firmware version 198

Have you tried reinstalling n-Track and chosen to NOT ‘keep existing settings’? And restoring it to default settings?

… yes, I uninstalled and reinstalled n-track several times and choose both options “existing settings” and “default settings”.

In both cases the above mentioned message with the buffer size appears again and again if You try to start the newer N-Track version regardless of clicking YES or NO… And if You mark “Don’t show this message again” You will see only the N-Track start screen for about one second, but nothing else. … It is not possible to open the program…

Sounds like a drivers and n-T settings thing. Have you tried “ASIO4all”?

is your older version on the same system? A conflict, maybe?

Lomi,

does your computer have another audio device installed (for example the computer builtin device)? If that’s the case (it usually is), please try selecting the onboard audio device as the default playback and recording device in the Windows Control Panel -> Sounds and audio devices/Audio box. This should make n-Track access the onboard audio device on startup. If this avoids the crash you should then be able to select any device you want to use in the n-Track’s Settings -> Audio devices box.

If the problem persists, please try starting n-Track holding down the Ctrl key. This should prevent the program from accessing the audio devices on startup.
If the program does open correctly, please make sure that the correct audio devices are selected in the Settings -> Audio devices box.
Please attach a screenshot of that box. Try selecting the audio device Asio drivers and see if the program works correctly once you close the audio devices box.

Flavio.

Hi,
my constellation on the computer is this: two HD’s, each HD has a separate OS(both Windows XP). I start and select OS1 and OS2 via a bootmanager. On OS1(HD1) I have installed N-Track version 4(24bit), on OS2(HD2) N-Track 6.1.1 is installed. I had also installed N-Track 4 on HD2 when N-Track 6 already exist on HD2, but I uninstalled it again… Maybe this has caused the troubles?!..

@Flavio

I have a sound chip on board with Realtek drivers. N-Track 4(on OS1 - HD1) runs with the Realtek Drivers(without problems).

N-Track 6.1.1. build 2692(on OS2 - HD2)is running with the Focusrite respectively Scarlett Drivers - These drivers are selected in the Windows Audio Controlpanel.
N-Track 6.1.1. build 2692 is a little unstable, but I can do my records(as long as I use the Scarlett Input channels - internal recording, such recordings for example from a music broadcast via internet, seems to be not possible(but this is probably a Scarlett Mixcontrol problem).

If I follow Your suggestions the following scenario is given:

Scarlett 18i6 disconnected - Realtek drivers selected in the Windows Audio Controlpanel - Starting N-Track 6.1.2 - Message “Error initializing ASIO Driver” - 4 of those messages - click everytime “OK” on the messages - result: N-Track 6.1.2 does not start

Same procedure with holding the CTRL-key down: Same error messages and N-Track does not start.

The other scenario is: Scarlett 18i6 connected - Select Scarlett Drivers in the Windows Audio Control Panel - Click N-Track 6.1.2 - Error message(buffer size to small…etc) - click away - N-Track 6.1.2 does not start.

Isn’t there a possibillity to delete a registry entry so that N-Track 6.1.2 could see its own installation as a virgin installation?!..

regards Lomi

my suggestion would be to go back to 6-version(build 2693) until this is sorted out.

any number of driver conflicts can be causing this, just because 6.1.2 is newer doesn’t mean it’s better it will take a bit to work out all the bugs on newer builds and there is no disadvantage that I can think of in using build 2693.

if haven’t already re-install the Scarlett drivers as well, as there has been some updates to known problems since May 2011, so if you are using the ones out of the box you will know.

also, check the Ntrack preferences and make sure it is set the same as the Scarlett (24bit 96K) because if it is at 4800 for example that will cause a great deal of latency as Ntrack has to convert all the data of all the tracks on the fly.

I use an ONYX makie mixer on firewire and I had to disable the realtek on board mixer in my PC to avoid conflicts too, I had problems with 6 myself so I’m 5 (24bit) and still working…the main thing is to stay positive and stay working.

dontcare

Quote: (Lomi @ Nov. 24 2011, 2:38 PM)

Hi,
my constellation on the computer is this: two HD's, each HD has a separate OS(both Windows XP). I start and select OS1 and OS2 via a bootmanager. On OS1(HD1) I have installed N-Track version 4(24bit), on OS2(HD2) N-Track 6.1.1 is installed. I had also installed N-Track 4 on HD2 when N-Track 6 already exist on HD2, but I uninstalled it again... Maybe this has caused the troubles?!...

@Flavio

I have a sound chip on board with Realtek drivers. N-Track 4(on OS1 - HD1) runs with the Realtek Drivers(without problems).

N-Track 6.1.1. build 2692(on OS2 - HD2)is running with the Focusrite respectively Scarlett Drivers - These drivers are selected in the Windows Audio Controlpanel.
N-Track 6.1.1. build 2692 is a little unstable, but I can do my records(as long as I use the Scarlett Input channels - internal recording, such recordings for example from a music broadcast via internet, seems to be not possible(but this is probably a Scarlett Mixcontrol problem).

Scarlett 18i6 disconnected - Realtek drivers selected in the Windows Audio Controlpanel - Starting N-Track 6.1.2 - Message "Error initializing ASIO Driver" - 4 of those messages - click everytime "OK" on the messages - result: N-Track 6.1.2 does not start

Same procedure with holding the CTRL-key down: Same error messages and N-Track does not start.

The other scenario is: Scarlett 18i6 connected - Select Scarlett Drivers in the Windows Audio Control Panel - Click N-Track 6.1.2 - Error message(buffer size to small...etc) - click away - N-Track 6.1.2 does not start.

Isn't there a possibillity to delete a registry entry so that N-Track 6.1.2 could see its own installation as a virgin installation?!...

regards Lomi

Lomi,

please also try deleting the program configuration folder, so that at the next launch n-Track will restart with the default settings (which include using MME drivers of the default Windows audio devices).
The configuration folder is located in:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Your username]\App Data\Roaming" on
Windows XP or "C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming" on Windows
7/Vista.
The App Data folder may be hidden, to show it from the Windows folder
window, press the Alt key, then click on the Tools menu -> Folder
Settings -> Display tab, then actiavate the 'Show hidden files and
folders'.

Flavio.
Quote:

Lomi,

please also try deleting the program configuration folder, so that at the next launch n-Track will restart with the default settings (which include using MME drivers of the default Windows audio devices).
7/Vista.
folders'.

Flavio.

Hi, this was the solution! - Can start the programm after deletion of the folders(N-Track 4 was also in this directory) and reinstallation of N-Track. - So Version 6.1.2 is running now also with the Focusrite drivers! Thanks! :agree:
Lomi

Coool.

Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Dec. 05 2011, 10:38 AM)

Quote: (Lomi @ Nov. 24 2011, 2:38 PM)

Hi,
my constellation on the computer is this: two HD's, each HD has a separate OS(both Windows XP). I start and select OS1 and OS2 via a bootmanager. On OS1(HD1) I have installed N-Track version 4(24bit), on OS2(HD2) N-Track 6.1.1 is installed. I had also installed N-Track 4 on HD2 when N-Track 6 already exist on HD2, but I uninstalled it again... Maybe this has caused the troubles?!...

@Flavio

Scarlett 18i6 disconnected - Realtek drivers selected in the Windows Audio Controlpanel - Starting N-Track 6.1.2 - Message "Error initializing ASIO Driver" - 4 of those messages - click everytime "OK" on the messages - result: N-Track 6.1.2 does not start

The other scenario is: Scarlett 18i6 connected - Select Scarlett Drivers in the Windows Audio Control Panel - Click N-Track 6.1.2 - Error message(buffer size to small...etc) - click away - N-Track 6.1.2 does not start.

Isn't there a possibillity to delete a registry entry so that N-Track 6.1.2 could see its own installation as a virgin installation?!...

regards Lomi

Lomi,

7/Vista.
folders'.

Flavio.

If the config seems to blow things out all the time... and has for years now... why not code it such that the config doesn't cause total blow outs? We call it error handling. In my little world.

Dang Bubba,

I agree I wish they would have done that a whiles back, :agree:
but reading this makes me slightly happy knowing there is still hope to get 6 to operate on my antiquated systems…

dontcare