CD Burner will burn but not read

Solved one problem got another

Not long ago I posted on audiominds that my drives were not being detected by Windows. I found out it was a bad CDrom. I had an old machine that I didn’t use so I took the CDrom out of it and installed in my newer pc. Windows detects both rom and burner after installation and all was well with the world. That is till I burned a CD. After burning I put another CD in the burner to play and it won’t play or even recognize that there is a CD in it. I put a blank one in and burned another with no problem. Before I ever burned a CD in the drive it would read. It’s really no big deal since I do have the CDrom drive in the other bay, but it is weird and I’m sure there is a logical explanation.

If you burn things to fast, some drives can have problems reading the discs. I have a Yamaha burner that can’t read its own burns sometimes but my newer drives don’t have this issue.

I have a Yamaha burner that can't read its own burns
This is not a strange thing. I have a Creative 4-8-32 that have the same problem. You burn, and after this, you re-insert the disc, and it gives "no-disc" info.
This is not a logical explanation Gospel, but at least, you can feel better you are not the only with weird hardware.

This last time i will try Burn audio in Dark blue side cd-roms, appear they are best for this purpose.

I have found that some older burners don’t seem to like the newer high-speed CD-Rs (e.g. 48x, etc.)–for me it was mainly when it came to reading. But since it’s harder to find slow media these days (e.g. 8x), there is often no other choice. It’s hard to tell now since the drives are so old whether it was the drives (firmware/hardware) or the media (dye formula, etc)–I ended up just getting a new burner.

But a firmware upgrade to one drive did improve it’s media compatibility. It’s probably a long shot with really old drives, but maybe you could see if your burner has updated firmware?

Tony

As usual I didn’t make myself clear. But I think this will clear it up. I had a game disk in the burner and played the game. I then burned a CD with the burner and when I put the game disk back in it wouldn’t read it. It won’t read anything now, but it will still burn.

Hi Gospel. You are getting fun, eh? ???
I have a similar problem with the first cd-burner i buy, a hewlett-packard one. Someone says me that the laser become out of calibration. It was more expensive fix it than buy a new one.

Another thing that gives me problems, dont ask me why, is leave a cd-r inside. When the machine turn on, it is searching for long because the cd-r disk inside

Could it be because the burner software is turing off AutoRun? If that’s off nothing happens when you stick in a CD.

Quote (phoo @ Sep. 24 2004,20:16)
Could it be because the burner software is turing off AutoRun? If that's off nothing happens when you stick in a CD.

My burning software does turn off auto-run. Would this make it unable to read a CD even after I open up "my computer" and try to play it from there, Explore it, etc? It keeps giving an error that it cannot read or when clicking "play" it says I should install a disk.
Quote (marce @ Sep. 24 2004,06:21)
Another thing that gives me problems, dont ask me why, is leave a cd-r inside. When the machine turn on, it is searching for long because the cd-r disk inside

marce this is what mine did (DVDrom) before it went completely out. ???

I’d say the drive just needs to be replaced. Drop it in another system using a different data cable, and if it still does the same thing, it’s probably bad. If it works, then perhaps it’s the cable or some other hardware issue (motherboard?)…you can also try a clean reinstall of Windows and see if it can detect CDs, then install things one at a time to find the offending software…

WG

Would this make it unable to read a CD even after I open up "my computer"
No, it shouldn't. What I have seen (and what made me wonder if it was related) is that Windows Media Player 9 won't recognize changing audio CDs when AutoRun is off unless you exit WMP and restart it. I made a couple of registry keys that can be used to toggle autorun. On my machine Feurio would turn it off, but Feurio doesn't have a way to turn it back on, and neither does the device properties for some reason. There in an AutoRun tab, but all it has is what to do when an CD is inserted. There is no check to enable or disable AutoRun.

The other symptom that was much worse was that CD burning from within WMP and directly from a Windows directory would not recognize that a blank CD had been inserted but it would write enough data to it that the CD would become unusable in Feurio. Turing AutoRun back on with the reg key fixed CD burning outside Feurio. Burning with Feurio would automatically turn it back of..... :)

Anyway, I don't know if your problem is related. It doesn't really sound like it, but it's worth a try to turn AutoRun back on to see if it helps any at all.

My burning software is RecordNowMax. I think it has a way to turn Autorun on and off. It started doing this when I installed a new CDrom after the old one went bad.