CD Restore kits

Anyone tried one with success?

Greetings,

This involves scratched up CDs belonging to the kids. Just tried to install the Sims 2 on a new computer and disk 3 is hosed.

EA will replace the set at the cost of $13 but if anyone here has had success with a repair kit, please tell me about it.

Thanks,
Doug

A repair kit - no; but I once used a CD Recovery Program to copy then re-burn a damaged CD-Rom (coincidentally, also a kid’s program). Off the top of my head I can’t remember the name of the Disk Recovery Program nor do I recall what (if anything) I paid for it (this was quite some time ago) but that’s an avenue you may want to explore.

Thanks Bill, I will try to Google up a “CD Recovery Program”.

I checked too - to see if anything tweaked my memory. Nothing did but I did find these two freeware recovery utilities:
Freeware #1
Freeware #2

I don’t know know if either of them were the one I used but whatever I used was likely freeware ('cause I’m a cheap son-of-a-gun!)

Hmmm. I replied to this about 12 hours ago. Looks like we may have lost a few posts in the board upgrade. Anyway…

What I said was that I haven’t used the repair kits but I’ve used the “toothpaste” method… gently polish the surface of the disk with toothpaste (and water to taste). Toothpaste is abrasive and hence erodes the scratches. Not foolproof and not everyone agrees with this method, but it’s rescued several of the kids’ PS2 and PC games. YMMV

Well, I said a lot more in my original post but I can’t be bothered to repeat it :slight_smile:

I haven’t used one, but a friend of mine has, and I seem to recall he was quite happy with it.
The kit was rubbing alcohol for cleaning, then a filler to fill the scratches.
The filler I guess was something with the same refractive index as the disk.
I don’t recall what the kit was called, but I recall him telling me that if the scatch went as deep as the pits, then there was no hope, otherwise it worked fine.
When I see him again I’ll ask the name of the product.

I haven’t used one, but a friend of mine has, and I seem to recall he was quite happy with it.
The kit was rubbing alcohol for cleaning, then a filler to fill the scratches, then something else to polish it with.
The filler I guess was something with the same refractive index as the disk.
I don’t recall what the kit was called, but I recall him telling me that if the scatch went as deep as the pits, then there was no hope, otherwise it worked fine.
When I see him again I’ll ask the name of the product.

Thanks for all the ideas. I’ll give the free ones a whirl when I get back from a weekend trip and let you know if any worked.

Thanks again

Eyup!

I have previously used metal polish (Brasso) to smooth out the worst of the scratches, followed by silicone grease. Silicone grease has almost the same refractive index as the plastic used in cd’s and is excellent on its own as a polish for lightly scratched plastic surfaces (scratched mobile phone display windows)
Use the silicone grease very sparingly (furniture polish and car dash restorer contains silicone grease but I have not used it) and remember that it is almost completely inert, so once applied you cannot use a solvent to get it off again! It is also a wonderful waterproofing substance, will resist high temperatures and is a very good electrical insulator. BUT on no account get it anywhere near your car windscreen, it’s fine until it rains and you put your wipers on then you have a smeary mess of water that is hard enough to see through in the daytime and impossible at night. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :disagree:

Steve

To remove the streaky crap from your windshield, 1 can of Coca Cola.

To remove stubborn mildew from the shower curtain or tile, 1 can of any clear diet soda, such as Sprite or 7-Up.

Try these cheap home remedies to see what they can do. Then remember that the next time you open one of those soda pops for drinking!

Quote: (Beefy Steve @ Aug. 25 2007, 11:06 AM)

Save the cheerleader, save the world.

We can be heros.... just for one day.

I thought it was “Save the cheerleader, save the network” :cool: