Chalk And Cheese

With Poppa Willis

New tune ‘Chalk and Cheese’ here:

http://8.14.112.20/bands…6796547

I asked for a basic guitar picking part from the multi talented Tommy, and he sent me just about every track I’d need…bass, rhythm, picking…even a drum track.

Thanks Poppa.
If you don’t know, here in the UK we say ‘you’re like chalk and cheese’ when we mean you are nothing alike. I didn’t think that perhaps the saying didn’t mean anything across the pond!

Comments appreciated!

Craig

Sounds good Craig - you did a great job!

Sounds good guys.

Uh, I know this is an over the pond thang, but it sounds like yer saying Chokin’ Cheese. Sorry shouldn’ve typed that.

Great vocals, great backups, the lead guitar coming in for just a few subtle notes is a great soft touch. Great tracks between you guys, I love your genuine style, there is so much plastic music out there and we need more real music like this.

yeah I have to chime in too - I saw the title here and on SC but if I had never seen the title, like I heard it on the radio, where it belongs, I would say, " yeah but why is he like chokin’cheese?

This one really gets me because an old friend from way back is just drifting away these days, sad to me.

Good job guys. The music sounds real familiar though…??

D

Quote:

Good job guys. The music sounds real familiar though...??

Not sure what that means..? Ring a bell in there somewhere?

Nice job guys. Very delicate playing, Great vox and, as usual, excellent songwriting.
Great work!

Ian

Great song. Great performance.
Ok, now I am officially jealous. How can I get involved in a collaboration?
Bax

Some nice comments…and thanks!!

Must admit it was really nice not having to play anything, and the quality of stuff from Poppa was awesome. He’ll probably tell you he just played some chords etc… but he’s really given the tune a life I never could have.

D…do you mean you think you may have heard the tune before? Was it the melody or the chord sequences? I promise I didn’t steal when I wrote it!!!

Chokin’ Cheese…heh! That’s all I’ll hear now…I suppose at least you’ll remember it
:laugh:

Bax lets go for it!

Cheers
Craig

Really nice one Craig, i like it. :)

ps… if you should ever wanna try some female vocals/backing in any of your work i’d be more than happy to hitch an easy ride to fame wit you :wink:

Ange x

Quote:

or the chord sequences?

Specially during the intro with the strings. I don't think you "stole" it. It just sounds familiar somehow? Maybe it will come to me today as to what it is...

Don't sweat it. It's a great tune! Besides, there really is nothing new under the sun. Our P&W leader at church last Sunday went up at the end of service and was playing piano while pastor was winding down to close the service. After one or two measures, my mind was singing, "Highway run... into the midnight sun. Sending all my love along the wire." Journey's "Faithfully". I asked him after church what he was playing and he named some CCM artist's new tune I hadn't heard yet. (I don't remember who ATM?) Go figure... it was almost EXACTLY the same.

We're all just a musical amalgamation of past experiences and information, limited by the 12 tone western scale right?

D

Shouldn’t post without having my morning caffeine… that should read…

We’re all just a musical amalgamation of past experiences and influences, limited by the 12 tone western scale right?

D

My little shadow of a grand daughter ended up singing this song a lot over the few days I piddled with it. To her it’s the “Chuck E Cheese” song. :laugh:

LOL… You ever heard “Chuckie Cheese H#!!” by Tim Wilson? LOL… it’s a classic!

By the way, I’m still waitin’ for one of you guys to clue this dumb 'merican in on this “Chalk” bidness…

D

It’s our "Oil & Water"
opposites.

for some reason, craig, this time i hear a distinct graham nash quality to yer vocals. i always loved csn, and i always try to pick out nsh’s part when singing along to exercise smoothness and control in the upper register. listening to this tune is very pleasant.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Aug. 11 2008, 9:50 AM)

It's our "Oil & Water"
opposites.

Ahhhh... I see... I like cheese better'n chalk, but water better than oil... hmmm...

Whoa, I got it! I'd rather have Wine and Cheese! :p Yummy...

D
Quote: (ange @ Aug. 11 2008, 3:25 AM)

Really nice one Craig, i like it. :)

ps... if you should ever wanna try some female vocals/backing in any of your work i'd be more than happy to hitch an easy ride to fame wit you ;)

Ange x

I initially wrote this Ange for a female singer.

I figured it would be a bit too mushy for a bloke...
:)

JDET not sure who Graham Nash is
:(

Crosby, Stills and Nash ????

kids…