Channel Groups

How do they work?

When routing several tracks to a ‘grouped’ channel, what should I do for aux effects?

On the individual track, should the auz send be set to 0, -inf or a appropriate value relative to other tracks in that group.

I’m confused:-(

Nick

You can either use the individual aux sends for effect, in which case that’s the signal that goes to the aux, or you can use the group aux sends, in which case that’s the signal.

Suppose you wanted to group bass and drums together, and wanted the snare compressed and then sent to a reverb, before mixing it in with the rest. So you’d set up the snare track to go to a group, but put a compressor in the snare channel, and then use the snare channel aux to a reverb in an aux channel.

This is just an example.

That depends on what you want:

If the tracks need different amounts of aux-effect --> use the track sends ).
If the tracks all need the same amount --> use the group send (track sends to 0).
If the group uses the aux effect exclusively (and all tracks need the same amount) --> use the effect as a group insert (and save one aux channel).

(
) you could also use the group send to set a “base” level and use the track sends to fine-tune.)

hansje,

<!–QuoteBegin>

If the tracks all need the same amount --> use the group send (track sends to 0).

Do you mean -inf. ‘0’ is acutally quite a lot of send on my setup.

Thanks (and Tom) for the replies

<!–QuoteBegin>

Do you mean -inf.

Yes, I mean -inf.
That wasn’t very clear. Sorry. :)