Computer Hard Drive  Setup Help

Proper Drive Layout For Recording

Hello All,

I am an absolute beginner/newbie to music recording.I don’t know squat.
I am assembling a new computer with 3 internal SATA hard drives being installed.

1- 160Gigbyte(Operating System) & 2-250gigbyte.
What do you folks recommend as a good logical layout for,

1. The Operating System, C: drive of course I assume.

2. N-Track and other software. Use a separate Drive other then C: drive? Should I partition the 160gig and use 80gig for OS & then 80gig for N-Track and other software install?

3. What directory structure and placement for the music recording itself?

4. Lastly do you place all the pluggins & add ons within the N-track directory layout(subdirectories).

I would like to set this up the correct way the first time.
Should I partition any of the drives I will install?

I am reading as much as I can. I have never ever recorded anything ever. This is supposed to be a hobby.
Thanks in advance for any help you can share.
Lou.

Hi Lou,

C: = Boot disk and OS, all your programs in one partition.

?: = Storage for sample libraries and such.

?: = Recording drive for streaming audio data. I use one folder per song. There may be a tiny gain by recording to the root directory and moving the files to a folder later after tracking. That’s the myth anyway… I just use folder per song.

Well… thats how I would do it and that’s how my DAW is setup. Except I only have two internal disks. Samples and stuff are on the OS drive too…

Plugins go in the n-Track plugin folder. I keep them all there and even point other programs there for plugins.

As far as partitioning goes… on a modern OS like XP I don’t think it’s really necessary except for maybe housekeeping or whatever…

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Mar. 17 2007,10:16)
Hi Lou,

C: = Boot disk and OS, all your programs in one partition.

?: = Storage for sample libraries and such.

?: = Recording drive for streaming audio data. I use one folder per song. There may be a tiny gain by recording to the root directory and moving the files to a folder later after tracking. That’s the myth anyway… I just use folder per song.

Well… thats how I would do it and that’s how my DAW is setup. Except I only have two internal disks. Samples and stuff are on the OS drive too…

Plugins go in the n-Track plugin folder. I keep them all there and even point other programs there for plugins.

As far as partitioning goes… on a modern OS like XP I don’t think it’s really necessary except for maybe housekeeping or whatever…

D

Thanks for the suggestions.
As you can tell I’m not very good with the proper lingo with all this recoding info.
Basically I just want to layout everything so that when I build my computer I don’t have to do any reinstalls.

Sounds like I can point other softwares plugins to the N-Track plugin directory. I guess it would be good to keep everything in one place.

I am going to use Acronis Disc Imaging after initial OS install, and then again after installing all my basic programs. I am going to try and keep this computer off the internet as it will be a dedicated recording music box.

I do it pretty much the way Diogenes does but with one change. It’s pretty hard to keep a computer completely off the internet these days so I have XP installed on two drives. When I boot, the system lets me select which drive I boot from.

This way I can access the internet with one boot drive and not use the other one, which has n-track etc., for this purpose.

a couple of thingsthat might be helpful:
put all your operating system file (windows and other programs) on the C: drive and set the C: drive up as a partition. that is, if you have a 160 gig drive, make the
C: partition about 40 gig. By doing this, if you ever have to format the operating suystem to get rid of bad stuff, you don’t have to mess with the data wou want to save.
Set thw Swap file at twice the size of you memory and make it so that it is a set size - you do this in the control panel advanced settings.
When you are recording, record to a different drive than the one tha has the operating system. This will max the ability of the hard drive to keep up with recorded data/

What they all said…

Plus… Make sure you BACK UP EVERYTHING!

You have two 250gb drives?? Make one of them a backup. And not just a data back up. you MUST back up your C: drive.

Remember, every setting you have is kept on the C: drive, all your preferences and settings, documents and identities are on the C drive. BACKUP DAILY, or at least after EVERY SESSION. There are tons of free and for-pay software packages that can make it a no brainer. Personally, I like BounceBack Pro.