Concert songs

Help me out here…

So, folks, as you know I work for a guitar school, and every year we put on a Showcase concert. This year we’ve booked the local theatre -which is big for us (in many senses of the word).

We have around 250 students (guitar, bass, drums - mostly guitar), ranging from total beginner to very advanced. Mostly young, but some older. Obviously with so many students (and wanting to keep the concert to around 2 hours), we tend to have a lot of students in each song.

Now, Christmas is a long way away, but, of course, an event like this needs planning. And the first step to that is getting the set list together. So will you help me? I need to find about 25 songs.

So is anyone able to suggest some songs? Generally we go for easier songs that our middle- aged audience will know, but they don’t have to be.

We also try to make sure the songs are family friendly - lyrically speaking.

Suggestions welcome : -)

Cheers!

Mark

What are the parameters, Mark, is it nailed down to carols or can you fire-up some distortion?

Mostly pop/rock Tony. Last year we did some Beatles, ZZ Top, Joan Jett, CCR, some Rockschool stuff, and some more modern poppy songs.

So, yes, distortion.

Cool. And it takes place around Christmas time and tradition is applicable?
Is modernising oldies normal? Some wonderful choral stuff to choose from.

Difficult one that Tony. We have a few students whose beliefs will not let them take part if we perform Christian Christmas songs (if that’s not tautology). But generic Christmas songs are OK.

“Long Live Rock” :D

How about some carmenelectra songs? :O

Hi Mark A;

You might consider some West Coast “Surf” Music… Sort of music out of the '60’s and '70’s…
OR would you consider '80’s stuff…
BUT now you’re getting into Disco Music…
Are the average age of the Parents gonna remember the '60’s-and-'70’s stuff ????
Am I that old ?
Holey Moley…

Bill…

Quote: (TomS @ Jun. 23 2011, 2:09 PM)

"Long Live Rock"
:D

That is actually the right kind of song.
Not sure we'd get the lyrics past our "Censor"
: -)
Quote: (woxnerw @ Jun. 23 2011, 9:42 PM)

Hi Mark A;

You might consider some West Coast "Surf" Music.. Sort of music out of the '60's and '70's..
OR would you consider '80's stuff..
BUT now you're getting into Disco Music..
Are the average age of the Parents gonna remember the '60's-and-'70's stuff ????
Am I that old ?
Holey Moley..

Bill..

Hi Bill. Most of the parents are 30 - 50 so songs from the 60's, 70's & 80's are spot on. Some of the kids grumble a bit about older songs but that's all part of learning to play for your audience (that's our excuse anyway!).

As for surf-type songs we did Wipe Out last year for our drum students. Had two kits on the stage and we our more capable students taking various parts of the song. We actually swapped people on the kits as the song progressed. Then for the remainder of the drum students we had a row of three floor toms at the front of the stage with two students per tom and they each played a segment of the drum solo. Lots of drumming, lots of drum solos. And some of the guitar kids are still noodling the riff even now.
Quote: (Mark A @ Jun. 23 2011, 12:41 PM)

Quote: (TomS @ Jun. 23 2011, 2:09 PM)

"Long Live Rock"

That is actually the right kind of song.
Not sure we'd get the lyrics past our "Censor"
: -)

Why, what's wrong with "We were the first band to vomit in the bar..."
(etc)?
???

How about "The Kids are Alright"?
That's not offensive.
And it is really easy.

Or, better -- "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday..."

That was the line I was thinking of Tom.

The kids are alright is a great song. I’ll add that to the list.

I tried to do Alright Now last year (by Free). I guess after years of hearing these songs don’t always pick up on the meaning. But one interpretation was pointed out to me that was not appropriate. Shame, great guitaring.

FWIW, I never thought that Free song was all that subtle, or all that good, actually. :laugh:

Actually, thinking about Who songs, I Can See For Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles etc. is really not all that hard to play, and is really effective.

Quote: (TomS @ Jun. 24 2011, 10:48 AM)

Actually, thinking about Who songs, I Can See For Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles etc. is really not all that hard to play, and is really effective.

You got me thinking....

Substitute has a nice intro - not too hard but quite effective, and had a great bass line - especially with that little lead-bass line/solo in the middle. Also My G-G-G-Generation. Nice bass solo in that too.

We have bass and drum students too so it's nice to think of songs that feature them too.

Thanks for the ideas folks.

If your talking about Free…I always liked ‘Wishing Well’ Not too complicated but great feel.