Copy/Pasting MIDI notes

How to avoid overlap/duplicate notes?

When I copy a MIDI phrase and paste it somewhere else in the song it ADDs to what is already there. What I want to do is OVERWRITE what is there (like a typical Windows “paste” function). How do I do this?

Also, if I accidentally paste twice to the same location I get duplicate MIDI notes which are not visible in the piano roll.

I have the checkbox set to “replace MIDI data when overdubbing” in the options menu but this doesn’t do it. Is there another setting somewhere else that controls this?

Quote (slowfingers @ Mar. 08 2005,09:14)
When I copy a MIDI phrase and paste it somewhere else in the song it ADDs to what is already there. What I want to do is OVERWRITE what is there (like a typical Windows "paste" function). How do I do this?

Also, if I accidentally paste twice to the same location I get duplicate MIDI notes which are not visible in the piano roll.

I have the checkbox set to "replace MIDI data when overdubbing" in the options menu but this doesn't do it. Is there another setting somewhere else that controls this?

I don't recall exactly how 3.3 works, but in 4.04, N-track doesn't seem to allow two notes to overlap when cutting and pasting, so if a note is pasted over another of the same length at the same starting point, one of them will be deleted. Also, if one is longer than the other, the longer one will be truncated and will start after the end of the shorter one.

**EDIT: Playing with it more, the truncation I mentioned above doesn't seem to be consistent. But I still haven't gotten any doubled notes.**

If you wanted to completely remove all notes in the measures you're pasting to before the paste operation, I think the only option is to delete them first, then paste what's in the clipboard.

Hopefully someone can either confirm this or call BS on me... :D

Tony