crashing

trying to add Ntrack effect

Okay, I’ve downloaded the latest version. I have a new Dell XPS 400 running WinXP-Pro with 512mb Ram and 160Gb SATA 7200rpm drive, Radeon X300SE w/256mb graphics card.

So I was testing this program out to see if I was going to fork up the cash. I heard good things. But wanted to try it first. I laid a guitar track, then a voice track. added effects to the guitar track, reverb. no prob. Then topped it off with Chorus. Crashed and lost the file. So had to start all over again.
Laid the guitar again. Then the vocal. only reverbed the guitar this time.
Reverbed the vocal and went to add chorus to it. worked fine.
Then I want to add another track to recut the beginning vocal line. As soon as I recorded it. I was trying to figure out how to copy and paste into a track, or delete a section of the vocal previous intro verse. And the Ntrack register banner came up, clicked if off. And BAMM!!! a Microsoft error box shows up. Lovely… Hit don’t send, and off goes Ntrack. This thing needs a self save mode for crap like this. All I want to see is if it will meet my small need for crap at home. So far I’m frustrated. Can anyone help out on why this is happening.

Peace,
guitarguts! :angry:

<!–QuoteBegin>

This thing needs a self save mode for crap like this

It does have autosave. And hitting “save” after that killer take is a good habit to get into.

As for the crash, it’s possibly a drivers issue. Check to see if there are later drivers for your soundcard, graphics card and mobo chipset.

As to what might be happening, I would check some of the other threads, it appears as though autosave is actually responsible for some problems and that the most recent build may fix this. Remember that if the .sng file crashes or is lost, all the original audio tracks (.wav) are normally still there. The audio tracks are recorded straight to disk and are completed as soon as you press “stop”. You can just load these into a new .sng and don’t have to re-record.

I am on a back-rev install (3.3) so I don’t know how much my experience applies to the more recent builds. I have encountered problems with the N-track compressor if I use the original version (but not with 1.1) which causes freezes or crashes so I just avoid using it. Overall N-tracks has been very stable for me but I only use my music PC for recording and burning CDs and have a very “clean” install of Win XP.

Good Luck,
Jim

Thanks for the help. I got it to work tonight by disabling my McAfee and everything else in the sys tray.
So I take it the freeware version embeddes some weird tones in different parts of the mixdown so you can’t use it. Only for testing huh???? Does this go away when you purchase?

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

So I take it the freeware version embeddes some weird tones in different parts of the mixdown so you can’t use it. Only for testing huh? Does this go away when you purchase?

Yep.

Thanks, I figured as much.
:D