dBPowerAmp

MP3 support?

I recently rebuilt one of my PCs and routinely re-installed dBPowerAmp Convertor.

30 days later I need to register (buy) the Powerpack to get MP3 support to work. Did I dream it or has this changed? I don’t remember ever having to do this before.

If so, what’s good, free and usable for converting to MP3?

Mark

ogg is where it’s at! :D

i’m not familiar with dbPowerAmp… are you simply in need of a utility to convert from .wav to .mp3?.. if so, this looks promising: http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_wav_converter.htm … also, bladeenc is another popular converter (i believe that ntrack actually employs bladeenc for it’s own conversions)…

isaac

Mark
i had the same surprise than you. You will need to look for another one, at leas for mp3. I use RazorLame that is a front end for Lame. But can be some nice others that i dont know.

Isaac:
bladeenc, afaik, is outdated compared with lame. You will have better results with Lame, i believe.

Hi Mark:
I’ve been useing this converter on my P-111 '98se machine … it works like a charm but I’ve tried to install it on the Studio P-4, XP but I get a catistropic failure… It’s another one of those utilities that may not work on an XP operating system… or at least, my set-up…

http://www.cheetahburner.com/index.html

If you could… download this converter for me and try to install it on you system… The converter is a few apps. down the page… You’ll see it there…

I originally installed v1.2 some time ago… But recently, this guy posted v1.3… I thought this would cure the install issue… but, no-go…

I wrote him some mail regarding the install failure, but I haven’t heard from him on this matter…

Now, I’m wondering if some code could be written to cure the XP install issue… Got any thoughts on this??

Bill…

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I’ve got to go to work soon so I’ll have a look at the suggestions later.

Mark

Just install an older version of dBPowerAmp.

I always save the install package for anything I install – put’ em all in the same place so it’s easy to reconstruct my machine after a wipedown or hardware upgrade.

They had little choice – the owners of MP3 audio codec technology decided they want to make money from it. Any codecs that don’t pay royalties are subject to change if they get discovered by the folks who own the patents.

I use CDeX with Win XP and have used it with Win98. Works and it’s free:

CDex

<!–QuoteBegin>

Just install an older version of dBPowerAmp.

Doh! Why didn’t I think of that!

<!–QuoteBegin>
I always save the install package for anything I install – put’ em all in the same place so it’s easy to reconstruct my machine after a wipedown or hardware upgrade

So do I. Problem now now problem!

<!–QuoteBegin>
I use CDeX with Win XP and have used it with Win98. Works and it’s free:

Yes. I’ve got that and in the end that’s what I used to do the conversion the other night. I find it a bit clunky though. I always have to go and hunt down my converted files…

<!–QuoteBegin>
ogg is where it’s at! …

That’s as may be, but it’s not supported by default in Windows and I only use compressed audio when I’m sending it to other people to listen to.

<!–QuoteBegin>
http://www.cheetahburner.com/index.html

If you could… download this converter for me and try to install it on you system… The converter is a few apps. down the page… You’ll see it there…

I tried it Bill, it works and I like it. I’ll alternate between dBPowerAmp and Cheetah for a while and see which I like best. What problems are you having with it? Can we help?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Mark

Hi Mark:
I see you’re on here… Thanks for your reply… I just got home… 3:55pm here…

This was the first time I’ve seen this on this P-4 XP build… I get the install wizzard and begin to "Just-Follow-the Prompts… Then… all-of-a-sudden… this Nag-Screen appears … The installation has failed due to a catistropic failure… The installation will now abort… NO_GO…

I checked both feet… There ain’t no Bananna Peals on my shoes… :p

With this P-4 XP install/build… I’m beginning to find myself in No-Man’s Land… I guess it can only happen to me… There must be a “Rain Cloud” following me around…

That Cheetah converter works like the Bee’s Knees for me and my setup… It’s “Drag-and-Drop” and it it supports all the file reselutions, as well… I’d like to make it work with XP…

I’ve downloaded the utility on my P-111… It’s connected to the network through my modem/dial-up and tele wire… The only issues I have with that is, it’s slow… I transfered the download to my P-4 through the local network like “Normal”… But NO-GO on the install…

Generally, I import the files to “My Documents” folder on the C Drive and open/install the apps. from there…

Bill…

Bill,

Are you using the ‘compatability wizard’ in XP?

Right-click on the program’s install icon and select ‘properties’ then you should see a compatability option. Select 'run in w98 or w95 mode. Exit properties and try to install it again. It’s not foolproof, but I have had success with it on proggies that refuse to run under XP. Select an OS mode that the app used to run in and see if it will work.

HTH

Don

PS: That being said…I had to trashcan Word Perfect 7 Suite because it refused to install on XP Pro. I went to Google and found that no one is able to use WP v7 on XP and no support from Corel.

Hi Don:
How’s it going? Thanks for your reply to the issues I have on this “Rock Pile”… If I ever get this up-and-running the way I’d like to see it work, I’ll promise myself, I’ll never take on another build project like this again… I’ll try your “Right-Click”, thing… on the install icon of that utility and see what it shows, me… It sure would be nice to get that converter working on this, P-4, “BOX”…

My health must be getting better… I’m up with the birds… a little after 4am… (The longest daylight of the year is upon us, up here… I’m eating healthier… and walking more… Fuel is gonna be breaking a Looney-a-Litre… That’s criminal… Cheap booze don’t cost that much… :O :p

I’m back, working on this project… I have re-mastered this dobro track… But I have to re-sample the composite track to record a harp track for it… The route key for the song is C# D Flat… or whatever… lol… There’s not many harp players that have harps in their harp pouch for those keys… Well… I think I’ve found a Harp Player from Cape Breton Island to do it for me…

Here’s a link… to the work-in-progress…

http://www.woxnerw.com/index_folder/lane_hobo_project/ It’s the 062205 cut…

[EDIT] I have the composite track re-sampled and have the track able to be played in the root of “D” now… the track is posted in the folder, as well…

I got Ronnie, the guy who maintains my page to post a WorkShop link on the frontPage of the site… So I can post Works-in-Progress… Thanks Ronnie… Anyway… I have more energy, these days… :O :)

Bill…

I use Audacity for WAV to MP3.
It’s free.

Hi markh1289:
I’ve been lurking over on the Audacity Board for some time now. As-well-as-several other guys on this Board… There are some pretty clever guys over there… They write code for Plug-ins, and all… At least, I think they do… I’m not sure if the plugs they code work on Windows based operating systems… Mabey, someone can comment on that aspect…

However, I think the codecs that Audacity uses for converting .wav files to mp3 files is the “Lame” codecs… Mabey, someone can comment on that… as well…

I stand corrected on this… Audacity as well as a number of other multi-track editors… including n-Track become a host for the converter codecs that convert one audio compression/extension to another…

Have I made a good explaination of how codecs and editors are used to compress audio files? :O ??? Just check’in…

Bill…

Hi Mark and Don, and All:
I finnally got that Cheetaha converter to install on the intel P-4 XP Box… After several attempts to install it, I got a corrupt file prompt saying, I should download/replace the install file for another one… After doing that, Guess what? Well…

I’m pickin’em up and putt’in em down… One-Rock-at-a-Time… :p * I’m shaking my head from shoulder-to-shoulder*…

At this rate, I might not get into the studio this summer… :p

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hi Mark and Don, and All:
I finnally got that Cheetaha converter to install on the intel P-4 XP Box… After several attempts to install it, I got a corrupt file prompt saying, I should download/replace the install file for another one… After doing that, Guess what? Well…

Woohoo!
Well done.

Ii KkNnOoWw… I’m still thinking about dragg’in for whales with this thing… :p

I feel so good about it when I accomplish a task with this thing… Then some other issue lurks… :p

Anyway, I’m off to Prince Edward Island, this weekend… The P-4 wouldn’t have to worry about me till Monday…

So…There…

Bill…

Gosh, am I the only one who actually paid for the registration for dB Poweramp?

Do I feel silly. :O

Hi still4given:
Every-so-often the topic will come up… as to how much software/utilities you have on your drives that is not paid for…

Fo me… I think the ratio of Free-to-Paid software is favoring paid software…

The most recent plugs/software I’ve bought is this stuff…

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/gac-1.php

Now, all I need is, to get this P-4 to work…

Bill…

I paid for dbPoweramp too. They have to pay a license for the Lame encoder. There are no free mp3 encoders anymore. But dbPoweramp is good software, worth paying for.

John