Decisions, decisions.

You ever notice nowadays it’s the kids who have discovered Ozzy and the new “Stairway” is the opening riff to “Crazy Train”. Hang out in a music store for an hour or so… some kid will snatch a guitar off the wall and plug into one them cheap solid state Marshalls…

TG

Don’t mind them playing it wrong so much as when they play it wrong and the geetar is out of tune. OUCH!

Quote (Bruffie @ Aug. 31 2005,00:05)
Quote (TomS @ Aug. 30 2005,17:17)
"comfortably numb" over "wish you were here"? :angry:

Yup!! :D Music is purely subjective of course :)

Argh. :)

Funny thing is, a bunch of those "worst" songs you guys are picking on, along with "most overplayed" songs, are really well written songs, even apart from commercial success. I mean, "Dancing Queen" is brilliant. So is "To All the Girls I've Loved Before."

I'm not sure I want to defend Bobby Goldsboro, however...
Quote (TomS @ Sep. 01 2005,06:50)
Funny thing is, a bunch of those "worst" songs you guys are picking on, along with "most overplayed" songs, are really well written songs, even apart from commercial success.

Yes, definitely. Who would like to overplay a mediocre song?

Uh Tom, “Thick as a Brick” is brilliant, not sure Dancing Queen is Brilliant. More like a 5watt appliance light. ???

Quote (YazMiester @ Sep. 01 2005,09:50)
Uh Tom, "Thick as a Brick" is brilliant, not sure Dancing Queen is Brilliant. More like a 5watt appliance light. ???

:) Had 'Thick as a brick' down as my all time favourite song but thought it was a bit cheeky as its 45 mins long. However, lyrically and musically, it's brilliant indeed!! My favourite piece of music.
Cheers Yaz,
Ian

Eyup!

I kind of like the chord progression in Dancing Queen. Anybody else would just have gone from E to A and anyway any song co-written by someone called Stig Anderson has got to be at least interesting :cool:

Steve

Yeah, Dancing Queen is brilliant; in the correct context.

Like all ageing hippies, I hated Abba with hate that was profound. Those smug smiling faces, bouncy bouncy tunes, peroxide hair and peroxide teeth, ugggh :( not to mention Eurovision.

But, if you watch the movie; “Muriel’s Wedding”, then it does become enjoyable, and I might even go so far as to say; “brilliant” :D

(Anyway, I always really did like SOS. :( )

Ali

(Had ‘Thick as a brick’ down as my all time favourite song but thought it was a bit cheeky as its 45 mins long. However, lyrically and musically, it’s brilliant indeed!! My favourite piece of music.
Cheers Yaz,
Ian )

Ian, it’s not cheeky! I love the long compositions myself. “Brick” to this day is still probably my all time favorite song. Also the acoustic numbers that Ian Anderson has written thru the years are some of my favs.

I just can’t bring myself to listen to a pop tune and call it brilliant. Some have bigger hooks than others, and Dancing Queen is one of those with the preverbial “hook.” But brilliant, nah!

I went and saw an ABBA tribute band a couple of years ago, and I couldn’t believe the number of the songs I knew. Classic hitmakers, whatever you might think of them.

Quote (YazMiester @ Sep. 02 2005,05:20)
Ian, it's not cheeky! I love the long compositions myself. "Brick" to this day is still probably my all time favorite song. Also the acoustic numbers that Ian Anderson has written thru the years are some of my favs.

Yaz, maybe we were seperated at birth :) You expressed my opinion to the tee! I also love Andersons acoustic numbers. He's my favourite lyricist.
I don't dislike Abba violently but the words are so banal. Anyone who looks for songs to mean something and express those meanings with charm, and frequently wit, should listen to songs like " Wondering aloud" or " Baker St muse"
Cheers!
Ian

<!–QuoteBegin>

I don’t dislike Abba violently but the words are so banal. Anyone who looks for songs to mean something and express those meanings with charm, and frequently wit, should listen to songs like " Wondering aloud" or " Baker St muse"

So, you don’t like The Bloodhound Gang?
Quote (Willy @ Sep. 02 2005,10:56)
I don't dislike Abba violently but the words are so banal. Anyone who looks for songs to mean something and express those meanings with charm, and frequently wit, should listen to songs like " Wondering aloud" or " Baker St muse"

So, you don't like The Bloodhound Gang?
Hey Willy,
I'll demonstrate my ignorance, cos I've never heard of them!
:)

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hey Willy,
I’ll demonstrate my ignorance, cos I’ve never heard of them!

And that you did Ian, with great success and oustanding style! :D

(Wait! Are you telling me there’s been other bands formed since the Beatles split up? :( )

Ali (still stuck in the 60’s. And don’t laugh, 'cos I’m still only paying half a crown for a pint of heavy! :cool: )
Quote (Guest @ Sep. 02 2005,22:56)
Hey Willy,
I'll demonstrate my ignorance, cos I've never heard of them!

And that you did Ian, with great success and oustanding style! :D

(Wait! Are you telling me there's been other bands formed since the Beatles split up? :( )

Ali (still stuck in the 60's. And don't laugh, 'cos I'm still only paying half a crown for a pint of heavy! :cool: )
Thanks for that Ali. Im always open to demonstrating my ignorance :) I may have been listening to music for 40 yrs or so, but the depth of my ignorance is not limited by that!

But I do remember the girls on the tenants lager cans! :)