Delta 1010 and a Mixer??

If one wants to record 8 tracks at one time, with a delta 1010, what is a good mixer setup that will allow that?

Is anyone doing this, if so how to setup the 8 ins and outs?

If your question is about routing, I’ll give this a try.

I’m using a layla unit with 8 ins & 10 outs - it’s not too different from the Delta1010

My mixer is a berringer UB2222fx. All the lineouts of the mixer lead to the inputs of the layla interface unit.

The 2 outputs of the Layla unit are sent back into the mixer. (The reason for that should be obvious… You’ll need to hear the clicktrack and previously recorded parts of your song as you record new parts)

My headphones run out of the mixer.

BTW, if I’m using a preamp, I will unplug one of the inputs to the Layla and send the preamp signal there. Of course even in that situation the sound still comes back out to the mixer and I have my headphones running through the mixer then too.

Don’t forget the all important step of telling Ntrack to look for those inputs!!! It’s a 2 step process:

File/settings/preferences/ recording settings/audiodevices will get you to select your soundcard and tell NTrack which channels you set up as options

Then, view the VU recording meters, click on “settings”, then click on “select i/o channels” to actually choose the channels

Hope that is what your looking for.

I don’t have a Delta 1010 but, I do use a 8 in 10 out unit (Echo Layla), I have the Layla inputs connected to the 8 sub-master group outputs of my mixer, that way I can send any channel to the recorder by assigning it to the group. You can also use direct-outs for the channels you want to record. If you don’t have direct-outs you can use inserts, but you’ll need to use insert cables.

As for the returns from the sound card, how many do you need to use? I just use 9+10 as a return, and plug them into unused channels, but if you need to use all of them, you’ll need channels for them. Or, if you have a mixer with tape returns you can plug into those and use the flip switch to change between live and tape. Most mixers also have a 2-Track input or “Cascade” which is just another line level input designed to plug in another mixer or 2-track tape device. These can be pressed into service as returns if necessary. Mixer returns can also be used, they are basically additional channels that are normally used for effect returns.

To recap: Sources (line/Mics/etc) to mixer, mixer directs (or inserts) to sound card. This will permit you to record on all channels discreetly at the same time.

.-=/gp=-.

I used a Mackie 1604 with a 1010 for a number of years. The channels 1-8 go into the soundcard through the 8 direct outs. The card returns come up on channels 9-16.

Look here for other setup ideas:

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/vlzproseries_hu.pdf

Generally, inserts bypass the EQ strip on the mixer channels. This can be good (in that it eliminates extra noise) or bad (in that you have no control over the EQing of the raw track.

Some mixers have Direct Outs as well as Inserts. Direct Outs often DO run the signal thru the EQ prior to splitting.

I prefer to use Inserts and do my EQing inside N.

tj

I also use a Delta 1010lt with a Berringer 2442 mixer. I use the direct outs from channels 1-8 to go into corresponding 1-8 analog inputs on the 1010. I use outputs 1 and 2 from the 1010 to the “tape in” inputs on my mixer to send to head phones or monitor amp throught the control room outputs on the mixer. It seems to be working good.
Has anyone done much with the spdif I/O on the Delta? What types of devices could I use this for and maybe get an additional input channel to use?

Thanks everyone for the timely and informative answers.

You might want to switch off that echo ! :p

<!–QuoteBegin>

Has anyone done much with the spdif I/O on the Delta? What types of devices could I use this for and maybe get an additional input channel to use?

I’m wondering the same thing - haven’t experimented yet, but I’m thinking of using my SBLive! input, and then telling its software to only output SP/Dif, and then put that into the Delta’s spdif input. Essentially using the Live only as a A/D converter.

Then I’ll have 10 inputs that can all be analogue…

W.

Man that was wierd, how I repeated myself, I never got the post to go thru, Must be a hickup in the server at my provider.

So Wihan, Did you try routing your SBlive through your Delta 1010lt SPDIF? Did it work?
Does anyone know why I can’t use my M-Audio Quattro USB simultaneously with my Delta 1010 to get 12 inputs. I tryied to do this by selecting both as recording choices under N-track preferences but it wouldn’t work.:frowning: