Delta 1010LT Not Doing Multiple Outputs

Anyone Ever Get This to Work?

Running latest 32-bit n-track 2599.
On windows 7 64-bit home edition.
Trying to send n-track out to multiple outs of a Delta 1010LT.
With Settings, Audio Devices, I can select multiple output devices 1010LT 1/2 and 1010LT 3/4.
Then I can see two output vu meters.
On the playback meter, I select the Settings hammer, and
then Select I/O channels, and see both 1/2 and 3/4 are selected for output.
But playback only goes out thru 1/2.
The n-track 3/4 meter shows no output, and no signal
is getting to the 1010LT 3/4 outs.

If I use the vu meter Settings hammer, Select I/O channels, and unselect 1/2, just leave 3/4
selected, then playback works through 3/4 output of the 1010LT.
Anyone able to get multiple outs of a Delta 1010LT to work at same time?

Hi Pingcat. You didn’t say but it could be an ASIO thang?

Hello TonyR.
No, not asio.
I have had some odd popping with asio so I am using wdm.
But since you mentioned it, I did just try asio, and if both outputs 1/2 and 3/4 are selected, I only get output from 1/2.
Same problem as wdm.
Then with asio I tried with just selecting I/O 3/4, and then I got output from both 1/2 and 3/4!
I switched back to wdm and was able to recreate this with them as well.
So to get output from both 1/2 and 3/4 of the delta 1010LT, I have to. . .
Pull down Settings, Audio Devices, select both 1/2 and 3/4.
Then at output settings hammer, select I/O channels, just select 3/4.
Then I get output from both 1/2 and 3/4, but only one output vu-meter.

Don’t know if this is an n-track channel bug, or a problem with the 1010LT drivers.
Any one else with a 1010LT out there that has tried running output to multiple outs?

Further testing tonight suggests you should not try this.
At some point I just had outputs 3/4 working, I did a basic 24 bit mixdown.
When I loaded my already created project for masterering of the mix,
the mixed track showed it had been mixed at a lower than normal volume, and the
master vst effect (isotope 4) was missing.
I simply returned output to 1/2, and everything went back to normal.
A lot to think on, I will post again if I figure it out, else try to formulate a
bug report for Favio.

I have personally tested a Delta 66 which is very similar to the Delta 1010 and it has always worked correctly for multiple outputs, with both WDM and Asio drivers.
You should enable both 1/2 and 3/4 outputs, but note that by default tracks go to a single output stereo pair. When you have multiple outputs you can select to which output pair a track (or group or instrument channel) goes to with the output drop-down box.
If you want a track or channel to go to multiple outputs, you can do that by adding additional outputs with the small + button near the mute and solo controls on a channel’s mixer strip.
The + button will add a send, which by default goes to an aux channel but you can instead send it to any channel you want, including an output pair, by clicking on the send output drop-down box.

Flavio.

Thanks for the quick reply Flavio.
I also tried using the + button to add output tracks, but still get the same problems.
The 1010LT a lot more in/out than the Delta 66, so their drivers are probably a bit different.
Maybe I am hitting some odd combination of the card with 64-bit Win 7.

Quote: (pingcat @ Jun. 28 2010, 9:35 AM)

Thanks for the quick reply Flavio.
I also tried using the + button to add output tracks, but still get the same problems.
The 1010LT a lot more in/out than the Delta 66, so their drivers are probably a bit different.
Maybe I am hitting some odd combination of the card with 64-bit Win 7.

Does the playback vumeters window show the signal in both the 1st (1+2) and the 2nd (3+4) stereo pair (after having enabled both output pairs in the Select I/O channels box)?
Does the problem appear if you select Asio drivers (you should get rid of the popping/clicking by increasing the Asio buffer size in the Delta Control panel)?
Also check in the Delta control panel, there might be a setting that assigns the 3+4 output to a different hardware output or digital output that you may not have connected.

Flavio.

No, when both 1/2 and 3/4 are enabled, only the 1/2 playback meter shows a signal, and only the 1/2 is putting out actual sound.
The exact same problems happen when using Asio.
The Delta control panel is setup correct because 3/4 work fine when fed from Windows 7 sound sources like Windows Media player.
Attached is a link to a screen capture wmv file, see if you can get it and view it.
It steps you thru the scenario. . .
-Settings shows audio setup for out to 1/2
-I play a track and sound is sent out 1/2 (vu meter shows signal)
-Then I add 3/4 along with 1/2 in audio settings
-verified at the output that 1/2 and 3/4 were setup for output and each has vu meters
-when I hit play, ntrack had a problem and locked up, I had to kill it.
This always happens at this step of the scenario, even with Asio. notice track 6 vu meter shows a signal.
-I restarted ntrack.
-1/2 and 3/4 are still selected for output.
-I play the track and it plays just out of 1/2.
-I then setup so just 3/4 are selected for output.
-Now when I playback, the sound is actually coming out of both 1/2 and 3/4, but very distorted.

Hope this helps you out Flavio.

http://www.users.gmavt.net/gard028/temp/ntest.wmv

When you have both 1/2 and 3/4 outputs enabled, it appears to be correct (I’m can’t be sure because the track mixer is not shown) that the output goes only to the 1/2 pair, as all of the tracks are set to output to the 1/2 output.
In the scenario of the video, when 1/2 and 3/4 are active and playback is working, what happens if you set a track to output to the 3/4 pair (selecting the 3/4 output in the drop-down list that appears clicking on the output drop-down control in the left track bar)?
If the 3/4 master channel level meter doesn’t show any signal it means that the internal n-Track routing is set so that no track or channel is going to the 3/4 master channel, even before the signal is sent to the audio device.

Flavio.

From the track mixer (with 1/2 and 3/4 enabled in Audio devices) I tried two things on the bass track.
1) Selected channel output and selected Delta 1010LT 3/4.
This sent the bass track out 3/4 an 3/4 vu meter showed output (But it is way distorted), and the rest of the tracks out 1/2.

2) Selected channel output and set back to Delta 1010LT 1/2.
Then selected channel output, Add new send, then change Aux 1 to Delta 1010LT 3/4.
That caused 3/4 output to be some odd buzz sound, and the vu meter for 3/4 showed one bar of output.
The 1/2 tracks played good, but the bass track was also being heard thru it.
I shut down ntrack and restarted it, and then 1/2 still worked good, but 3/4 had no sound or vu meter activity.

I don’t think we can solve this unless you have a 1010LT.

The clipping is clearly visible in your vid. It couldn’t be a simple gain issue, could it?

Quote: (pingcat @ Jul. 01 2010, 5:30 PM)

From the track mixer (with 1/2 and 3/4 enabled in Audio devices) I tried two things on the bass track.
1) Selected channel output and selected Delta 1010LT 3/4.
This sent the bass track out 3/4 an 3/4 vu meter showed output (But it is way distorted), and the rest of the tracks out 1/2.

2) Selected channel output and set back to Delta 1010LT 1/2.
Then selected channel output, Add new send, then change Aux 1 to Delta 1010LT 3/4.
That caused 3/4 output to be some odd buzz sound, and the vu meter for 3/4 showed one bar of output.
The 1/2 tracks played good, but the bass track was also being heard thru it.
I shut down ntrack and restarted it, and then 1/2 still worked good, but 3/4 had no sound or vu meter activity.

I don't think we can solve this unless you have a 1010LT.

It looks like the problem now is the distortion. Many users have used n-Track with the Delta 1010 in the past and I've never heard of a similar problem with multiple outputs.
Does the same distortion happen with Asio and WDM drivers? Is it the same if you select the 1/2 and 3/4 outputs in the Settings/Audio devices box, or if you select the Delta WDM Multi output (which is a single driver for multichannel output)?
Make sure that the audio formats for all output pairs are the same, in the audio format box that appears clicking on the hammer button on each output pair playback meter window. The format should be 24 bit unpacked left justified.

If the problem persists, one other thing you can try is to mixdown the song in multichannel format, and then check if the .wav file corresponding to the 3/4 output sounds correctly or it sounds distorted. The mixdown .wav file corresponds to the signal just before being sent to the soundcard's drivers.

Thanks.

Flavio.

This may or may not help. Even with onboard audio, be it sound blasters or even line6 audio devices, the maximum output levels of the device should not exceed 85%. Setting maximum levels, which I’ve seen the past can distort the audio, case in point, when my windows audio main volume and my wave audio is set to 100% I get distortion when I’m playing MP3’s. So I move the sliders down a little to 85 to 90%. This solves any distortion from the output.
Hope this helps,

PACO

Flavio, Paco, TonyR, thanks for the help.
1) I now know to use the mixer panel, and select Channel Output for the output I want.
2) Distortion was because the output from ntrack Master channel 2 was higher than Master 1.
The default level at creation is 0, and that makes perfect sense. I just needed to turn it down.

But I still can’t get output to both Master 1 and Master 2 at the same time from the same track(s).
I tried a track that has channel output to 1/2, and I did “Add new send”, and then set the new send to Delta 3/4, expecting to hear the track now on both 1/2 and 3/4, but it does not work.
The master 2 output vu meter for 3/4 shows no signal.

Quote: (pingcat @ Jul. 03 2010, 11:23 AM)

Flavio, Paco, TonyR, thanks for the help.
1) I now know to use the mixer panel, and select Channel Output for the output I want.
2) Distortion was because the output from ntrack Master channel 2 was higher than Master 1.
The default level at creation is 0, and that makes perfect sense. I just needed to turn it down.

But I still can't get output to both Master 1 and Master 2 at the same time from the same track(s).
I tried a track that has channel output to 1/2, and I did "Add new send", and then set the new send to Delta 3/4, expecting to hear the track now on both 1/2 and 3/4, but it does not work.
The master 2 output vu meter for 3/4 shows no signal.

Pingcat,

I've just found a bug that is probably the cause of the problem you've just found. It appears that the Return slider for the master channel to which a channel is sent is still used to amplify the incoming signal, even if it is sent directly to the master channel instead of going through an Aux.
Please try to set the return slider to 0 dB on the 2nd Master channel (for the output 3/4).
If you try this I'd be glad to know if it works on your system/song.

Thanks,

Flavio.

Flavio, when I turn up the aux 1 return for master channel 2 (delta 3/4 out) I get a huge buzz (not the good kind).
But if I switch the tracks send from 3/4 to aux 1, then it works, I can hear the track thru both 1/2 and 3/4.