Divorce rate in the US

Where does your state rank?

Divorce Rate by State.

And it is VERY interesting to note that many states with the lowest divorce rates are “Blue” states. Also interesting is that MA has the lowest divorce rate of all the states, and that AR & OK are among the highest.

I’ll let you come up with the reasons why, but you’ll remember the recent post about giving & red/blue states.

Wow (NOT).
:p :laugh:

I guess the concept of amoral, family killing blue states is just a figment of the Republican slander machine. But of course, we already knew that.

What I am still waiting to see is this superior Republican morality I have been hearing so much about. ??? ??? ???

Mike

You hit the nail right on the head Mike!

I would think it’s more related to standard of living/income as opposed to political affiliation. But somehow Clinton had something to do with it since Arkansas is one of the worst ones. :laugh:

Also age of first marriage. Arkansas marriages tend to be between folks on the young side.

edit: although one has to question the implicit assumption that a failure to divorce is evidence of a strong family. Could be equally a sign of people - women esp. - trapped in bad marriages who feel they have no option…

Tom - you could say lots of things, but the point of this post is that you can find stat’s to justify whatever you want to say about “red” vs. “blue” states. IMO - it is all BS, i.e., you can’t make any generalizations.

Here’s my take on the blue states vs. red states. I lived in California for about 25 years. I lived in Nevada for about 7. When I lived in Nevada I had more dealings with the govt. of CA than I did with NV. CA kept trying to collect assorted taxes. I reported the move, turned in my license plates, the whole bit. Yet, CA kept trying. I moved from NV about 3 years ago. Haven’t heard a peep out of them.

I don’t miss the blue state, “The Peoples Republic of California”, at all. If you like govt. control, move to a blue state. Of course the state I’m in now is about 75% democrat. But that’s another story. I haven’t figured out West Virginia yet. It seems to be mostly democrats but controlled by big coal. The pollution problems are horendous. It just doesn’t meet the stereotype.

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 04 2004,00:42)
I don't miss the blue state, "The Peoples Republic of California", at all. If you like govt. control, move to a blue state.

That's funny you should mention that because I have a conservative co-worker who refers to any state he doesn't deem conservative enough as the "People's Republic of (place state name here)." Is that a tactic taken from the conservatives handbook? It's really eerie how often you people do and say the exact same things, sometimes word for word. It can't be a coincidence. These secret conservative training camps must be kept pretty well hidden.

By the way, I too have lived in California and have not encountered any problems with them trying to get money from me since I left. Whether yours was an isolated situation or a common one, I don't know, but every state you go to, red OR blue, is gonna have its problems in some form. Speaking of "People's Republics," I have also lived in Texas and can safely say that the "Lone Star State" (about as Red as they come) is more deserving than any other state of the title "People's Republic." Only in Texas can the state flag be flown at the same height as the US flag. 'Nuff said. Personally, I'm looking for a nice Purple state to settle down in. Anyone know of such a place?

The first time The peoples republic of … was ever mentioned to me was by my brother about 5 years ago. I don’t think it is used much on conservative talk shows that I know of.

I would agree that all states red or blue have their probs but CA has given me the most grief.

Oh yeah! haven’t heard a peep about the abortion thing since the election is over! I guess they just pull that out every election year because they know they can count on that issue alone to garner votes, then do nothing about it till the next election…cause they sure don’t want to let people have an opening for some THOUGHT to take hold, Or lose the one of the two issues they have to herd people with.
Cheers
???

Abortion seems to be a stupid issue in the campaign anyway. Most people are for leaving it the way it is. I would even say that a fair percentage of those against it aren’t willing to make any real contribution to ending abortion. So why even bring it up? Makes no sense to me. ???

Quote (Mr Soul @ Dec. 03 2004,17:41)
Tom - you could say lots of things, but the point of this post is that you can find stat's to justify whatever you want to say about "red" vs. "blue" states. IMO - it is all BS, i.e., you can't make any generalizations.

Generally, I never generalize. :)
Quote (Guest @ Dec. 04 2004,13:36)

(Abortion seems to be a stupid issue in the campaign anyway).

Abortion is not a STUPID issue TS. I'm flabbergasted that anyone could look at it that way no matter what side you are on. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the right in using this issue as a hot button issue then ignoring it after the elections and they got their votes from it.

Cheers
BTW I'm not sure i used the "QUOTE thing correctly haven't figurted that one out yet. :(
Quote (cruiser @ Dec. 04 2004,16:52)
BTW I'm not sure i used the "QUOTE thing correctly haven't figurted that one out yet. :(

LOL! I couldn't figure it out for a long time either. :laugh: Just click the "quote" button on the post you want to quote. It automatically gives you a reply window. Then you just delete all the stuff you don't want to quote and type your reply. Too easy.
Quote (Takayama @ Dec. 04 2004,22:35)

LOL! I couldn't figure it out for a long time either. :laugh: Just click the "quote" button on the post you want to .

Ahhh like this huh? thanks T
Cheers :p
[quote=Guest,Dec. 04 2004,13:36][/quote]
(Abortion seems to be a stupid issue in the campaign anyway).

Abortion is not a STUPID issue TS. I'm flabbergasted that anyone could look at it that way no matter what side you are on. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the right in using this issue as a hot button issue then ignoring it after the elections and they got their votes from it.

Perhaps you misunderstood me as well. What I was trying to say is that it is stupid for Republicans to even bring it up. Their base is going to be there whether they mention abortion or not. I think the dems use abortion much more than repubs anyway.

As far as doing anything, the only thing being done is by the repubs, which is partial birth abortion. Otherwise there's not much that can be done anyway without offending a major majority of the population.

Ofcourse abortion isn't stupid. It is very important to alot of people. Especially those that need that option. It's just a stupid campaign issue.
Quote (Guest @ Dec. 05 2004,21:36)
It is very important to alot of people. Especially those that need that option. It's just a stupid campaign issue.

Well said. Lots of important issues become stupid issues around election time. And lots of stupid issues become important issues. Why is that?

Polls, focus groups and a general lack of touch with reality. It seems both sides are guilty of it.