Drumagog and Triggers

Opinions?

Hey everyone,
I have been looking into drum triggers and drumagog lately. What are your opinion on each and does it even work with N?! Also another questions is if you dont have a delta or anything, and dont have your snare on one track, kick on another and so forth, will it work with a set all on one track?

Of course the best version of drumagog costs about 400 bucks, and i have been in a studio that has used it (www.myspace.com/steadyfall) and it seems really easy and reliable and versitle when it comes to making your own sound. And by all means it has never once sounded anything remotely resembling a drum machine. So it seems worth it, right?.. maybe.

When at the same time i could be using triggers for about the same price that will work with any program. Alesis DM5 module, ddrum pro triggers… in the long run with the dm5 and say you get the hot rod triggers that come with it for about $450, and it works with any program out there, it might be the better choice. And reason being because its less expensive, works with anything, and when you have someone come in the studio playing on your acoustic set, it will sound perfect everytime (after you worked out the double triggering bugs) and you can always change the presets from the 4gig library they offer with it.

And from the reviews, the ddrum hot rods that come with the DM5 seem to be ‘ok’… but not exactly up to par on some reviews. So that would be about another $230 for ddrum pro triggers.

So i am basically torn on the subject because both ways sound great, look great, and from reviews are very user friendly. So which way would you go?

:)
tony

There are free option to Drumagog:
http://www.hometracked.com/2006/04/29/free-drum-replacers/

Only way I know to make it work if kick and snare are on the same track is to manually mute the snares when you want the kick, and vice versa - or perhaps try to side chain a compressor that only responds to select frequencies - dunno if I said that correctly, but you get the idea.
the KTM drum trigger apparently does that for you.
But if you have cymbals also on the same tracks, it’ll be hard to replace the snare or kick - although you could layer one on top.
Lots of folks do that.

Another free option:

http://jens.org/stuff/jtrig/readme.htm

Those are great links. Thanks Tom

Hi Gents:

My experience using Drumagog with n-Track v 5.1.1 b 2313 has been Fair-to Pretty Good…
I use Drumagog v4.0
or …
I think that’s the version…
My Editing machine is a P-111 XP Home 1.2ghz. ASUS/Intel CUSL2c 512 meg. RAM setup…

I don’t worry with how the Drum tracks sound during the Tracking Session…
I’d like the “Hits”
(Snare, kick, toms, and hats) to be in the right place-in-time…
on the tracks…
(Less EDITING
after-the-fact)…

I don’t have a lot of RAM to work with on this machine
so I create a new timeline/project using n-Track and import the drum KIT, one track at-a-time…
Maybe…
but at times the snare as well as the kick along with a two-track ghost /rough mix of the song to use as a guide …
Bring up Drumagog into the track I want to EDIT… and EDIT MY Head OFF…
Re-render the EDITED track
e.g. KICK…
then Rename-and-Re-import/Substitute the Drumagog’d track into the original timeline…
I’ve even kept the original Tracked Track, on the timeline, as well…

I don’t use Drumagog in Real Time during the tracking session…
Too many issues doing that…

You may have to dig-around to locate the samples you like for your porject…

That’s my experience as to how to use n-Track-and-Drumagog… There may be other ways of manufacturing Drum Tracks…

It’s not the software/applications you use…
It’s the software/applications you get used to using…

Nothing good that works, is Cheap-and-Easy, to use…

Bill…