E/V 664 L/D Dymanic mic..

To: Tom S.

Hi Tom:
I found one… It needs some cleaning up and all… It belongs to my Driver… I think he is going to get me to restore it and then make me the owner of it…

I’m looking for parts for it at ElectroVoice Canada… I’ve sent them some mail. I hope to get a reply, this comming week… We’ll see…

It works perfectly… But it needs the grill assembly replaced…

Bill…

The grill doesn’t look too bad! You should see some of the 5 dollar specials I’ve bought on Ebay! Do you have the odd connector? I’ve just rewired mine with a little tail ending in an XLR. I suppose this reduces the “vintage” value of them, but it was more convenient for me. I’ve bought four of them so far, two work, two for parts, and I’ve noticed that the capsule in some actually gets mildewed. Is that normal? Can it be cleaned?

It is a GREAT electric guitar mic, as you know much better than I. Cool. :)

Hi Tom:
Harry, my Driver, has an adaptor cord. It converts the 4-pin connector to an XLR receprical… On some Shure mics I have… I’ve replaced the 4-pin receprical, to an XLR connector, right on the mic. Now, that limits the mic to a Lo-impedence mic… But that is O.K. if you are just useing it for that purpuse, anyway…

I’ve not noticed that the capsule is mildewed,on this mic, in any way… But, I haven’t looked, as well… So, I wouldn’t know that… Seeing mildew on the diaphragm, means that something must have been growing on it… Well… lol… Is it Green or Brown?? hehehe… The diaphragm should take some “Flexing”… If you’re careful, I would try a Q-Tip dipped in some rubbing alohol, and see if that’ll remove the growth… Well… it’s a thought… Gotta be careful, though…

I’ve googled the E/V page and lo-and-behold, the 664 and many more of these vintage mics don’t even appear… That is a shame, cause these mics have set standards in the recording domain that other manufactuers only wish they could set…

I’m gonna get my camera out again and photograph my E/V 644 Shotgun mic… It’s outta the same time-frame as the 664 days… Give me a day-or-two…

Right now, as of today, I’m working on a vintage Crown 800 series Tape Deck… The Bi-Polar Rail supply for the Record/Repro amps is not working… That’s what’s on the bench, right now… This guy is a Crown Freek… He has a 1/2 track and a 1/4 track deck. and then has a 1/4 track spare-parts deck, for parts… I’m trying to get the Spare-Parts deck up and running, instead of seeing it go for salvage… He’s got all the TOYS…

Bill…

Documentation for the 664 and 644 can be found here - a great website:

http://www.k-bay106.com/photos.htm#electro-voice

I’ll try the Q-tip thing, it’d be cool to have another mic working. :)

He has some turners on that site. But not mine…