Erratic midi velocity drawing

midi velocity drawing

1 Like

Been using ntrack off an on since version 2.x and have been very happy with it. However, I’m currently running into some problems with midi velocity drawing. For example, if I create a drum track in the piano roll and then try to edit the velocity of notes using the draw feature, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. I can’t seem to find any rhyme or reason as to why it work sometimes and sometimes not. Also, I can’t seem to figure out what the relation is between the display and the selected note. For instance, if two different drums sound on the same beat, which one does the line in the velocity window correspond to?

Thanks in advance for any help.

For example, if I create a drum track in the piano roll and then try to edit the velocity of notes using the draw feature, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason as to why it work sometimes and sometimes not.

Hrm, when you look at the event list nothing has changed? I have never run into such a thing before, so I am not sure what to tell you with out more information. Tell us more. You do have the "pencil" selected and not the arrow or eraser as well as the sine wave looking icon, right?

Also, I can't seem to figure out what the relation is between the display and the selected note. For instance, if two different drums sound on the same beat, which one does the line in the velocity window correspond to?

All of the notes. If you have a kick, snare, high hat, and crash all at the same point in time, the drawing will set them all to the same velocity.
Quote (Bubbagump @ Nov. 29 2004,11:27)
All of the notes. If you have a kick, snare, high hat, and crash all at the same point in time, the drawing will set them all to the same velocity.

Whats the work around for this? Separate tracks for each instrument? Or can they be edited separately in the event list?

TG

There are a few ways…

1. Put them in separate tracks. (Remember, a change in panning or volume in one track effects them all if using the same channel on the same synth.)
2. Edit them one at a time in the piano roll by right clicking and choosing properties. (Ewww…)
3. Edit them in the event list. (YUK!)
4. Cut them out to a new track, edit, and paste back into original track. (Probably your best bet. Just be sure to only edit cloned tracks so you don’t make a boo boo you can’t undo.)

Thanks for all the replys. I’ll try the suggestions, especially the one about creating temporary track to do volume editing then pasting it back in to the original track.

If you select certain “notes” in the piano roll (e.g. use the select mode to select a group of notes by click and drag, or click on a key to select all occurances of that key), when you draw the velocity it only effects the selected notes. The displayed bar will show the highest velocity event for notes occuring at a specific time, so this may not change if the highest velocity note is one you have not selected, but you can change the velocity of notes independently that occur a the same time throught the draw function.

Snaps, I learned something else today. You’d think after 6 years I’d know everything in this proggie by now. Well whadda ya know.

I’m happy to be able to give you a new tip Mr. Gump, a very small payback for the massive volume of good information and help you provide.

no thanks need, just send the money

:D :D :D

quoting Don Gaynor

I was having this problem yesterday while attempting to use the pencil tool to assign velocity changes in the piano roll window. It doesn’t seem to be working correctly, so I was just wondering if I should send a message to Flavio, or does he monitor these issues? Maybe its Operator Error, but if so, I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.

Dave???

GOD save sweet Flavio !!!

Yep. I only just noticed this problem yesterday too.
It worked fine in v3.
This is the first time I’ve done any serious midi editing in v4.

sometimes drawing the velocity works and sometimes it doesn’t.

I found that when it’s not working, if you right click on a note in the piano roll and change it’s velocity in the properties, drawing seems to work after that, but will then stop later for no apparent reason.

Right clicking was the work around for me at the moment

Rich