Fave Guitar Solo or Performance?

Ya gotta love the intro and guitar solos to “Reelin in the Years” by Elliot Randall… I still teach those solos to students.

Quote (teryeah @ May 04 2006,18:02)
OK, back on topic - the guitar solo on Hey Bulldog is one of the coolest EVER :)

WOOF! :D

D
Quote (DrGuitar @ May 04 2006,06:27)
Ya gotta love the intro and guitar solos to "Reelin in the Years" by Elliot Randall... I still teach those solos to students.

I always liked "Bodhisattva" .

KingFish

Ok…Ok…I’ll say it…

Peter Frampton Live

KingFish

Here’s some of mine:

David Gilmour - soul and feeling he puts into it. Too many to mention. Although I must mention coming back to life and the sound of that Gretsch he plays (along with the way he does it) on Comfortably Numb on the meltdown concert.

Brothers in Arms also for the same reason.

Brian May. Period.

Then there’s a weird one for me.
The solo in the Carptenters’ song ‘I’ll say goodbye to love’. It is so unlike their other songs, and its got a beautiful, almost playfull melodic line to it. Awesome.

Lastly, I got my 1st electric while watching the Chris De Burg live from Germany video (this was just before live from dublin). The german shows was better. He had a guitarist (Danny McBride) that played there (as well as on Live from Dublin). That guy was (according to me) brilliant. He did a solo on the Germany show (with a Les Paul) to ‘Borderline’ that still makes my hair stand up.
He was probably the biggest influence on my electric style, as I played while watchting it, trying to get everything down the way he did it.

Lasty I must mention James Hetfield’s solo on 'Nothing else matters’
Short but sweet.

W.

Another guy I forgot to metion was Lindsey Buckingham. Amazing style of playing. Check out "Never Going Back Again " from Rumours, or his live acoustic version of “Big Love.” His acoustric picking is unreal.

I’m also going to reiterate my absolute admiration for Tom Scholz of Boston. Not just as a guitarist, but as a producer / engineer. Saw an old interview with him in his studio, and he’s got these tiny little strips of recording tape with a different drum on each one, and when he’s recording, he creates his drum parts from these bits of tape. Incredible. No wonder it takes 10 years between albums! What a guitar sound though. Totally recognisable, but insanely hard to recreate. How it can be SO distorted, yet still SO clear is incredible. By far the best example of using chorus on a guitar. Imagine him and Brian May on the same stage, trying to “out-harmonise” each other in true “Deliverance” style. Lol.

You guys said she WAS good looking ?

Sheez …

How good did she look ?

Reeling In The Years, oh yes! Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter.

Johnny Winters, some of his blues albums, (on Gator Records I believe) nuff said.

Eric Clapton’s solo on George Harrison’s 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps’

Eric Johnson’s 'Cliffs of Dover’

Nancy Wilson, definately a ‘babe’, and can actually play a little bit. Saw her and Ann doing a live version of ‘Battle Of Evermore’ (Zeppelin) with Ann on guitar and Vocals, Nancy on Mandolin and Vocals. T’was awsum!

This thread could possible be the longest thread in n-Track history.

Quote (YazMiester @ May 05 2006,06:46)
Reeling In The Years, oh yes! Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter.

This thread could possible be the longest thread in n-Track history.

Ya know Yaz, I thought "Reelin'" was soloed by Skunk also, but I did some checking and it seems that Elliot Randall was the player on that track.

As far as this possibly being the longest thread in N-Track history, that will only happen if we start to include the guitar playing wizardry of George Bush... :p
Quote (Wihan Stemmet @ May 05 2006,04:33)
David Gilmour - soul and feeling he puts into it. Too many to mention. Although I must mention coming back to life and the sound of that Gretsch he plays (along with the way he does it) on Comfortably Numb on the meltdown concert.

Dude, you are forgetting Gilmour on the tune Sorrow. Great guitar tone.