Feature request - Pitch correction

A product like Autotune integrated into n-track.

I see “Tuner” in the FA ParaEQ, what is that for (side bar question).

You could be worse off than with some freebie like GSnap. The ‘tuner’ feature is for actually tuning an instrument… - far better than correcting a take in postproduction, IMHO.

Sometimes, however, you don’t have that choice. Vocals, various older wind instruments, pianos not kept in tune regularly, etc. - they may all benefit from auto-tuning.

I think that an autotuner feature is a bit out of line with the n-Track concept. I have the great and very powerful autotuner-like program Melodyne (costs an arm and a leg, BTW), and I rarely use it for anything than ADT effects.

FWIW, the ParaEQ is actually also a plug-in…

regards, Nils

Thanks for the reply.

I have just started using Gsnap, and it is pretty good when you get the settings correct. (AutoTune has a tutorial download with a woman singing “Somewhere over the rainbow” out of tune, and I use that to know how to use gsnap.) But since N-track has given - IMHO - much more than the price of the product, I thought they could maybe put it in their cross hairs.

Melodyne isn’t an Autotune like product?

BTW -
Take a look at the YouTube video - How to make a sexy pop star. Very interesting.

(michael f t @ Jul. 17 2007,04:23)
A product like Autotune integrated into n-track.

...so you want Flavio to build in a $250 plugin (Autotune / Melodyne) into a $50 program????

Well I'd like Ford to build in $250,000 Rolls-Royce amenities into my $30,000 Expedition, too!!!

:laugh:

I disagree - I think n-track is a product that because of the distribution model remains at a lower price. A product like AutoTune is software - the price is associated with distribution and marketing not as much to development.

So the price is not relevant to the function. Gsnap could be adapted and made slicker and that integrated into n-track nicely.

In the meantime - I use gsnap.

I would rather see Flavio focus on the things that CAN’T be done as plugins, since we can always find good plugins to serve special purposes.

Pitch correction is a very nontrivial and fussy application, requiring lots of tweaking of the algorithms & parameters to sound good. For example, AutoTune (or actually, the $50 version, OB-Tune) worked quite well for me where GSnap doesn’t seem to work nearly as well. No doubt on someone else’s voice the reverse might be true, or perhaps the gap narrower. In any case, it’s a specialty and it’s not where I’d like to see Flavio spending his time.

BTW, I bet far more copies of AutoTune have sold than n-Track. AutoTune is a staple in virtually every pro studio, especially ones that do commercial work like jingles, since it’s such a time saver when the talent isn’t quite up to the task. Whereas n-Track is in the minority in home studio applications. Mostly because of the promotion by the bigger vendors, I suspect – folks either don’t realize there’s a low-cost alternative, or they assume they have to spend big bux to get good software.

<!–QuoteBegin>

(learjeff @ Jul. 21 2007,10:58)
AutoTune is a staple in virtually every pro studio, especially ones that do commercial work like jingles, since it’s such a time saver when the talent isn’t quite up to the task.
<!–QuoteBegin>

[QUOTE]· Posted on Jul. 21 2007,10:58
BTW, I bet far more copies of AutoTune have sold than n-Track.

Hi Jeff:
Around here you’re as good as the last jingle you worked on… The more jingles you do (as a musician) the more work you get… Some places around here put your work (hiring practice) on rotation… Experience matters… If there happens to be a vocal or voice-over and it doesn’t work… you get the guy that does it in pitch…

The producers of jingles don’t want to put more time into the end product than it takes to track it… If you’re doing something on a National Level, then that kind of work is different…

If the jingle is gonna run for a couple of days you hire the guys that it takes to do the job…

On the other point (you make) you are comparing “Apples-and-Oranges”…

Auto-Tune is a Plug-in you use with a Multi-Track Editor… You can’t Multi-Track with with OB Tune…

I’d say that far more copies of n-Track have been sold to Multi-Track with than Auto-Tune… but… I do understand the point you’re trying to make…

You don’t get much work anywhere if you are unable to tune you’re instrument… or… voice, for that matter… Start looking for another Day-time Job, when that happens…

If you’ve attained national or world-wide visibility and you can’t reach the pitch after several takes the producer tells you to get off the stuff you’re on… or try something else…

I’ve heard of that happening before, and… many times…

Bill…

Has anyone done pitch correction on 4 male voices to get the best harmonics? what plug ins would work best with n-tr for this?

Quote: (rxman24 @ Jan. 02 2010, 7:29 PM)

Has anyone done pitch correction on 4 male voices to get the best harmonics?
what plug ins would work best with n-tr for this?

Antares AutoBarberShopQuartet
Quote: (learjeff @ Jul. 21 2007, 8:54 AM)

Pitch correction is a very nontrivial and fussy application...

Truer words have not been spoken.

it would really ruin Arabian music :laugh:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 03 2010, 6:38 PM)

it would really ruin Arabian music

keep shinin

Why? Are you saying that Arabians can't sing on pitch or in tune? That sounds racist. Haven't you ever hear "Rock The Casbah" by Sam The Sham & The Pharoas? :)

I am glad I was on my daughters computer and not singed in so was able to read your idiocracy.

Please try to follow the conversation,

JEFF: Pitch correction is a very nontrivial and fussy application…
TOM: Truer words have not been spoken.
JEREMY: it would really ruin Arabian music

There is no other place pitch correction would be more detrimental then in Arabian music since it relies so heavily on the double harmonic scale (a.k.a. Byzantine scale), hence the irony of the conversation…while it is an essential in Western music and scales it would literally ruin Arabian music (especially of one would use Autotune on the singing as it pertains to the music)

Little FYI for the dimwitted here, we happen to be a community that has been around for quiet some time, I know it says 2004 but that was quiet a while after the last few forum crashes, some of us actually know each other and are freinds in real life outside of internet anonimity, so we do understand each others senses of humor over the years and do not assume things of one another, I understand you are on the outside of the fishbole looking in and will probably never be respected by anyone here, but hey you put yourself there, which is not an easy thing to do here take it from someone who knows first hand, so congradulations!

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Jan. 03 2010, 8:54 PM)

I am glad I was on my daughters computer and not singed in so was able to read your idiocracy.

Please try to follow the conversation,

JEFF: Pitch correction is a very nontrivial and fussy application...
TOM: Truer words have not been spoken.
JEREMY: it would really ruin Arabian music

There is no other place pitch correction would be more detrimental then in Arabian music since it relies so heavily on the double harmonic scale (a.k.a. Byzantine scale), hence the irony of the conversation....while it is an essential in Western music and scales it would literally ruin Arabian music (especially of one would use Autotune on the singing as it pertains to the music)

Little FYI for the dimwitted here, we happen to be a community that has been around for quiet some time, I know it says 2004 but that was quiet a while after the last few forum crashes, some of us actually know each other and are freinds in real life outside of internet anonimity, so we do understand each others senses of humor over the years and do not assume things of one another, I understand you are on the outside of the fishbole looking in and will probably never be respected by anyone here, but hey you put yourself there, which is not an easy thing to do here take it from someone who knows first hand, so congradulations!

keep shinin

It's spelled "congratulations". :whistle:

Actually, you spelled “it’s” perfectly well the first time.

Jerm! Did you hear of a new piano ‘system’ that can be tuned to any nation’s scales?