Fender Telecaster

need advice

I’ve always been an acoustic player but I want to make the leap to electric. I’ve always loved the look and feel of a Fender Telecaster … and #### Springsteen plays one.

So to make a long story short…I did some googling and there are a whole whack of telecasters to chose. What would be a solid selection? … say something around < = $1200 USD.

Thanx

hey Stu,i been a fender picker for better then 30 yrs now,i started out with a tele thinline,which is a tele thats semi hollow an has 2 hummbuckers in it,that is still my fav fender neck,but i wore it out,squashed the fretts down to nuthin,i own 5 diff fender guitars an that tele neck is still the best feelin one of em all,the sound was good too,i liked it alot better then a regular tele,like Jimi Hendrix said"a telecaster only has 2 sounds,an one of them is bad". i had a regular tele also,but by that time i had been playin Strats ,and after ya get used to havin all the diff tones in a strat the tele seemed a bit boring,but mine played a part in my development cause they just seem to scream"finger pick me"!
and thats where i got started finger pickin seriously,ive heard a tele described as the purest guitar made,the closest sound of wood and strings your going to find,and i find that true,fender makes a lotta different teles now,and alott of diff price ranges,but of course an american made one is the caddilac,and im sure if ya got 1200 to spend yer gonna find yerself a beauty of a tele an you’ll live happily ever after man

A tele is a very special instrument, but what Hendrix said is not far off the truth. I had one of these, bascially, although mine was an 82 reissue:

Replaced the nut with bone, and through the treble pickup into a musicman it screamed. the neck pickup was not good for what I wanted to play.

Like Wozz, I too have played Fenders for a while (about 25 years).

I have a '76 strat that I got in '79. It’s been my “main” guitar for all of that time. It feels like it is part of me when I play. Love it.

Three years ago I bought a beautiful black USA standard telecaster. It sounds fantastic and plays beautifully. It is a different playing experience to my strat - it’s much more “choppy” and “strummy” (Springsteen!), rather than the fluid feel of my strat.

The Tele is much more “subtle” (which is possibly why Jimi made has comment) and is at best with clean/edgy sounds rather than distortion. I love the neck pickup.

Both my Fenders are keepers. Different, but horses for courses.

I primarily play acoustic now (Taylor and Ovation) as a church worship leader. As someone who made the transition in reverse (electric to acoustic), I would say the tele is the closest of the two Fenders to an acoustic in playing style so would be a good match for you Stu.

HTH

Mark

I have a stock standard american tele, about 5 or 6 years old, and it is absolutely beautiful to play, many different styles. Both pickups are totally usable. I think you can’t go wrong. The only reason I ever grab another guitar instead, is if I want a fat humbucker tone. But 90% of the time it is tele. Teles are great value, $1200 will get you a ‘lifer’.

If you wanna hear what a Tele can do, check out any Roy Buchannan recordings. Here is a short snippet.

I’ve heard that some of those early Fender Japan Tele’s were pretty good. Actually, I think the early re-issues were the Japanese ones?

I love the Hendrix quote; however, a tele has a certain kind of sound that isn’t for everyone.

I’d love to get a Tele but I’ve already got too many guitars.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’d love to get a Tele but I’ve already got too many guitars

Oxymoron

hey doc guitar,dont forget to mention muddy waters and james burton,albert iceman collins and albert lee,and the byrds clarence white.
buchannan"s volume swell bends will send shivers down yer backside

<!–QuoteBegin>

hey doc guitar,dont forget to mention muddy waters and james burton,albert iceman collins and albert lee,and the byrds clarence white.
buchannan"s volume swell bends will send shivers down yer backside

… and Status Quo… ???

Here’s the one for me:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product…SOSWXXA

Always TRY IT 'Fore You Buy It.

KF

Led Zeppelin’s first album was a Tele through a Supra amp. The second album was when Jimmy Page switched to the LP Standard he’s so well known for.

Well thankyou all for your input. Sounds like the guitar for me.

But my image of this masterpiece is shot now. I just watched an old video of Katrina and the Waves (Walkin on Sunshine) and she was playing a telecaster. OHHHHHHH the irony. I’ll just make sure mine isn’t pink.

Squash that vision. Watch The Pretenders instead. Crissy Hynde uses a baby blue Tele.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But my image of this masterpiece is shot now. I just watched an old video of Katrina and the Waves (Walkin on Sunshine) and she was playing a telecaster. OHHHHHHH the irony. I’ll just make sure mine isn’t pink.

And what’s wrong with that?

<!–QuoteBegin>
Squash that vision. Watch The Pretenders instead. Crissy Hynde uses a baby blue Tele.

Oh, OK getting better!

Changing the subject completely, well nearly completely, I read that the IndyCar driver Danica Patrick is not yet ready to enter Formula 1. Shame really. Would be great to get a woman in F1.

Seriously, it would be great to get a female F1 driver. It would seriously do the sport some good.

Now, if Danica played a tele too…

$0.02

Hi StuH:
I gotta say this about that…

You… Being a Caper… I can’t imagine you owning another guitar then… some Fender Model… And in particular a Tele… As to the colour? IT should be a tri-colour “Sunburst”…

You being in the mineing buisness… ?? Just throw your VISA Card onto the internet and you’d have IT inside of a week-of-two… I know, you should TRY-Before-YOU BUY… But ya gotta know someone you can trust, to go get you one…

I was gonna say, You should know Bruce Timmons… He is a Seal Island BOY… I’m not sure just where you call home… But He could and would be your GO-Between to get you a great guitar…

Bruce is into the studio this weekend to do some guitar tracks, here in Dartmouth…

I got the call from him this week, to see if I could do some work on his Black-faced Deluxe Amp for the session… He’s in there to do the Beds and the Backing Tracks…

This guy has done session work for just about everybody across the country…

Comming back to THIS GUITAR… If you got the money to blow on IT… Get busy… You can’t play this guitar if you ain’t got IT… :O ??? :laugh:

If I win the Super Seven, this weekend… I’ll buy you one… How’s that…

Bill…

Quote (phoo @ April 20 2006,18:04)
Led Zeppelin's first album was a Tele through a Supra amp. The second album was when Jimmy Page switched to the LP Standard he's so well known for.

I didn't know that - thanks phoo!

Re: The Pretenders - they Rocked. :)

KF has the right idea. I have been lustin’ after a Nashville Power Tele for a while now. I wish it was available in tri-burst though. I toyed with one in a shop near here. It was hard to put down and leave… it was callin’ my name. Unfortunately, so are a bunch of bill collectors! :(

D – lessee… Nashville Power Tele = 704.99 OR a little over ten fill-ups at ye olden petrol station :angry:

What do you drive? A dump truck?

drives a tiny little Toyota