First Attempt at live drums

wrong forum i know…

but no one seems to post in the other one anymore. and i really need some feedback…

i am producing and mixing other bands now. this is the first one i worked with. we did the tracking in two days for 4 songs… and they had nothing but reallllly crappy gear. however I think it turned out pretty great…

I’d love to get some opinions on the recording and the mix…

A Cadence of Sorts

Download "And How We’d Give Her the Moon"

Thanks!!

Wow, that was your first attempt? Only thing I can say off the top of my head is that there is pumping from compression when the kick drum plays.

Tell us about the equipment you used & how you used it. :)

wow, sounds really pro actually.

you need to drop some tips on us on how you recorded EVERYTHING :)

Not bad. Not bad at all.

If I was mixing the song, I might drop some of the low end from the guitars, raise the bass a bit and re-eq the kick drum (more low end, less snap) to get some more oomph into the mix. The rest of the drums might work with slightly more (relatively short!) reverb, maybe just a bit of flanger or chorus. The back-up vocals could use some more reverb. too, to emphasize the dialogue between close (lead) and distant (bv’s).

At the beginning of the first verse, you might like to fade down the guitars a bit, as the first lines drown under them a bit. Going easier with guitars during the verses and raising them back during the choruses would also make the song more dynamic sounding.

Just some thoughts.

- Mwah

what kinda’ settings did you use on vocals. the singer sounds very in the mix but definitely not too verbed and still prominent. I like the background vocals as is. but that’s on a crappy mono computer speaker at work here :)

we tracked everything in a room at a church. i have an RME Multiface and had 5 mics on the drum kit… 2 overhead, one snare, one kick and one room. the room mic was placed just above the kick drum about 8-10 feet from the kick.
mics used:
Overheads: some Oktava’s or whatever they are called (i borrowed them)
Snare: sm57
kick: an Audix something or nother (also borrowed)
room: Blue Baby Bottle

for guitars we used some crappy strats going into some Crate head. i’m surprised the guitars dont sound like total crap… because they should. i basically tried to get the tone to sound as opposite from what it really is as i could. haha.

the main vocals have a heavy compression and just a slight amount of reverb. nothing too fancy.
I used a Great River pre for all bass, guitars and vocals. i really like that thing (also borrowed… haha).

i’ve been doing alot of recording of music like this and have had some expierience mixing it… but this was the first time tracking live drums.

Quote (geekformayor @ Feb. 05 2005,09:14)
wrong forum i know... but no one seems to post in the other one anymore. and i really need some feedback..

Well, the activity level on the music page is a bit up & down but to say that no one is posting there is a strech.

Maybe you'd get more feedback there if you offered some feedback yourself now & again ???

ouch… ok…

Ah, the room you were in is key - no way you’d get a drum sound this good in a basement…

think so? it was just a room that they use for youth group. with a stage that is about half a foot high. the room was big enough to fit maybe 50 chairs in. nothing too special.

Quote (geekformayor @ Feb. 05 2005,23:07)
think so? it was just a room that they use for youth group. with a stage that is about half a foot high. the room was big enough to fit maybe 50 chairs in. nothing too special.

Yes, that sounds like a good size for drums. Never get that in a basement. Unfortunately for me. *sigh*. :)

Man, i give props on this recording… The ‘only’ thing i would have done different, was record the band seperately from the vocalist… and made the vocalist a little more seperated from the instrumental… …recorded him in either a booth or just a house studio sounds like u tried a little ‘too hard’ to edit bg noise out, i could hear it resignating near the end of the recording… but all around this track is Very nice.
-Reflex-

heh interesting. the vocals were actually recorded seperate from the music… no BG noise to get out. you must be hearing something else…