Floyd Rose Compensation Nut

It’s finally here.

I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. Finally a Floyd Rose compensation nut for my Jasckson Dinky. Mine is in the mail and I should have it in a few days. Here’s the link.

http://www.earvana.com/floydrose.htm

PACO

Technology…
Will it ever stop…
??? ?

Is something like that expensive ?

Bill…

$100.00 US for the unit and it’s a drop in, no cutting or messing with the bridge. Just remove the old one off the neck and drop this one in. (Be sure to measure before ordering) My ESP LTD came from the factory with a compensation already installed, this floyd nut will go my Jackson Dinky to compliment my collection. It should make a difference. I use a very accurate guitar strobe tuner which can tune within 0.01 cents. This is about 500 to 700% more accurate than your standard $20 buck digital tuner. Despite tuning so accurate, I have noticed in the past with my dinky, that notes higher up the neck tend either be a little flat or sharp and I have to compensate it with finger pressure or fine finesse of the whammy bar. The new nut for the Floyd Rose should correct this.

PACO

Hi Paco. What if the intonation is out?

With these units, it’s always best to have the intonation “set” after the install of the nut with brand new strings. Then all the notes on the fret board will be in “tune” as they “can” be. All guitars should have a compensated nut however due to patents, just about all manufactures refuse to pay out for the use of it because it becomes an added cost which gets past on to the consumer. There are some guitar manufactures which install a factory compensated nut, ESP is one of them and I’m sure there are others but there are very few who do. I think it’s Buz Feton that owns the patent. Earvana is another, which I go with because it’s cheaper and does the same job. Buz Fenton doesn’t make a compensation for the Floyd Rose either, another reason to stay away from Buz. Before Earvana decided to make the nut for the Floyd Rose, the only other company to make one for the Floyd Rose was “Funky Guitar”?? I think out of some place in England, very expensive and hand made.

PACO

Cheers Paco.
I’m in the middle of tidying up my old CMI Tele - maybe worth the up-grade.

Earvana is a just a compensated nut to be used with standard guitar tuning. The Buzz Feiten is a tuning system. Not just a nut but must also have a tuner, much like my Peterson strob-o-flip that recognizes the Feiten system. Search online you can find how to tune the Buzz Feiten system with a stanard tuner,
which string needs to be sharp or flat and by how much.

Personally, after trying a Buzz F setup guitar…I think the Buzz F is a pain in the ass. I have not heard or tried the Earvana yet. And to be honest, if a guitar is setup correctly I probably couldn’t tell the difference, by ear, anyway…And most players couldn’t either. The pitch drift on my Les Paul is in the neighborhood of 6 cents (6/100 of a semi tone) over 14 frets. I can’t hear it and neither can anyone else.

Duff

I have that Peterson. Interesting experiment; tune the guitar by ear until it sounds right - then look at the relative tuning of each string to the others. I’ve concluded (probably nothing new!) that each guitar “likes” slightly different tunings - a tiny bit different here and there, and it is the difference between sounding “in tune” and actually “singing” - and those slight difference can be programmed into the Peterson, which is cool. So, it’s something like the idea behind the Feiten system but adjusted for each guitar’s peculiarities.

I also think that being slightly out of tune in the right way is often cool, however. :laugh:

Today I listened to a radio(BBCR4@@5PM) prog about a new film on piano tuners (not The Piano Tuner?). As described by a piano tuning guest, it’s quite a small global community, each with their own sense of perfection. Even with technology, it’s all in the ear and crank. Facinating.

Just got my guitar back with the comp nut installed and intonation set, I must say I could tell the difference right away. Open chords are sound better especially around the 5th, 6th, 7th frets. I think it was well worth it. Total cost for nut, including new strings intalled+extra set of new strings, and service tech to set intonation, a little under $120.00

Just my thoughts.

PACO

The Buzz Feiten system does not use a compensated nut per sea. It is based on intonation screwiness and scale. The nut they do add in a retro fit to a guitar shortens the scale rather than compensates in a technical sense. So far as I know, there is no patent on compensated nuts just as their isn’t on compensated saddles. I think the bigger reason compensated nuts are not more common is the same reason Buzz Feiten is not more common… people either don’t know or don’t care. In either case, it is simply a matter of dorking with the temperament so instead of the B string being out of whack… things are more balanced from key to key with downsides elsewhere… so your 7ths may be right on, but your power chords (no perfect perfect fifths) are meh or whatever. Thus the trade off of convenience in tempered tunings.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Aug. 30 2010, 2:59 PM)

The Buzz Feiten system does not use a compensated nut per sea. It is based on intonation screwiness and scale. The nut they do add in a retro fit to a guitar shortens the scale rather than compensates in a technical sense. So far as I know, there is no patent on compensated nuts just as their isn't on compensated saddles. I think the bigger reason compensated nuts are not more common is the same reason Buzz Feiten is not more common... people either don't know or don't care. In either case, it is simply a matter of dorking with the temperament so instead of the B string being out of whack... things are more balanced from key to key with downsides elsewhere... so your 7ths may be right on, but your power chords (no perfect perfect fifths) are meh or whatever. Thus the trade off of convenience in tempered tunings.

I can appreciate what you saying.

Both Earvana and Buzz Feiten do hold patents, a simple search of the US patent office website will describe these patents should you want to review them.

As side note: I like beer.

PACO

Another vote here for the Earvana stuff. I’ve got them fitted to a few of my Strats, and they make a hell of a difference. intonation is spot on,and tuning is perfect right up the neck.

Daz