Function to import tracks from audio CDs

Version 4.1.6 Funcion Question

I saw there’s supposed to be a new function to import tracks from audio CDs. How do I do that?

Hi howard2150:
I believe there are a couple of steps to the process… Before this feature you had to “RIP” the file/files from the CD and then make sure the file was converted to a .wav extension… Then it (the file) could be imported into the timeline of n-Track…

This new feature may combine all the steps into one process… If IT is. then it is the windows media Player v10 (Ripping-and-converting) that could be used for that function… Mabey??

Bill…

Hmm… I just tried this and couldn’t figure it out either, but may have a kinda-clue…

I went to File|Import Wave File and noticed that the dialog now lists .cda files. I highlited a .cda file and clicked Import but nothing happened. This makes sense because .cda files aren’t audio files, they’re index pointers (or so I understand).

To try something else I went to File|Open and tried the same thing. Again the .cda files are listed. When I click on one of the .cda files I get an Import Audio From CD dialog with the tracks and times listed - now we’re getting somewhere! But them immediately a Windows error dialog comes up with "n-Track Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Has anybody been able to get this to work?

<!–QuoteBegin>

I went to File|Import Wave File[/] and noticed that the dialog now lists .cda files. I highlited a .cda file and clicked Import but nothing happened. This makes sense because .cda files aren’t audio files, they’re index pointers (or so I understand).

To try something else I went to File|Open and tried the same thing. Again the .cda files are listed.

Nah. Importing a WAV file is a different thing to importing from a CD.

Anyway, try “Add Channel–>Import from Audio CD”.

HTH

Mark

That worked perfectly, Mark A. Thanks!!

Hi All:
I played with this feature tonight. I opened n-Track and scrolled to Add Channel>import from audio CD… A Pop up screen appears where you select the Drive where the CD is (if you have more than one drive) Click on load… the songs appear… on the list… Then Hi-light the song and click on import… The Bar proceeds to load and pressto the wave file appears on the timeline and n-Track now plays the file from the CD. If the file is in another compression the codec needs to be installed on your DAW… e.g. .ogg files .wma files mp3 files and so-on… I’m gonna expirment with other extensions and compressions… I see no problems where that will be an issue… However, conversion to .wav files are needed to import the files to the n-Track timeline.

I have a project that I received from RADAR Wayne the other weekend that has Radar encoded 24-bit res. files… I imported them after converting them to 16 bit 44.1kbs. files… They play fine but I’m gonna play with them some more… I’d like to keep them as 48 kbs. 24-bit files that I think will play on an n-Track time line… with the correct audio card… We’ll see…

Also. RADAR is capable of creating Broadcast wave files… I’d like to get a project from him on a CD that has Broadcast wave file extensions burned on it… To see how n-Track behaves with those file extensions. I believe Flavio has thatfile extension working on v4.1.6 ?

Bill…