Future Toys

Quote (Diogenes @ May 01 2006,17:11)
He's a pretty handy guy to have around IF/WHEN you can get 'im to do what you want. :p

D -- I confess. I'm a MIDI noob... but I like it! I like it!

Around the time I started messing around with n I tried to be a MIDI noob. I retired immediatley.
Piano roll? Vee don vant no steenking piano roll!
Heh - can you tell I hate programming stuff?
Quote (Bubbagump @ May 01 2006,17:10)
Hrm, I though Adobe was a audio/MIDI deal like the rest try to be. Shoot. I had high hopes for it too. I still use Cakewalk ProAudio 9 for my MIDI stuff.

I think when my bud and I start a new song which should be soon, I am going to have a go at it in Sonar 4LE that came with that EMU upgrade bundle. If it works out well and I can do what I want MIDI-wise, I'll start saving the pennies for Sonar. I like their look and GUI buttloads better than Cubase. The few times I have played around with MIDI in Sonar, it seemed very capable and I was able to do things like transpose an entire track and such with just a mouseclick or two... AND it WORKED.

I guess Cake has been at the MIDI game a while...

D
Quote (teryeah @ May 01 2006,17:17)
Quote (Diogenes @ May 01 2006,17:11)
He's a pretty handy guy to have around IF/WHEN you can get 'im to do what you want. :p

D -- I confess. I'm a MIDI noob... but I like it! I like it!

Around the time I started messing around with n I tried to be a MIDI noob. I retired immediatley.
Piano roll? Vee don vant no steenking piano roll!
Heh - can you tell I hate programming stuff?

I hear you Teryeah... it's hard to wank on the Bigsby with MIDI ain't it? It IS great for one man band stuff though. Complex arrangements, bunches of instruments through virtual synths etc... The sky is the limit. I wanna get good at it someday... someday...

D

I first & foremost wanted MIDI for drums but I hated each & every moment I spent with it even if I had no problems making it work technically. Luckily, me & phoo agreed to see what we could do together instead :)
I’d like to use MIDI for soft synths & textures & adding spice in general but I can’t play anything with a keyboard worth a dang, so…

<!–QuoteBegin>

it’s hard to wank on the Bigsby with MIDI ain’t it?

Playboy does it for me; but whatever greases your wheels. But I don’t think I’ll be able to look at a whammy bar the same way ever again.

I’m not sure why everybody rags on nTrack’s midi interface; I did this entirely with n, guitars excepted, using a soundfont player and public domain soundfonts (thank all Gods for soundfont.it). Sure,there are a couple things about n’s midi that could be improved (like not being able to paste notes into existing bars without erasing the notes already in those bars), but they can be worked around…

'til next time;
tony w

I guess it’s just as it is with every other piece of software - you don’t like things that are not like you’re used to.

Me, I have used a Cakewalk Pro audio 4 for years as a midi editor, and then, for a weak moment, (confession time) a cracked Sonar 2. When the original EMU 1820 disk contained Cubase VST/32, I was happy to have a good midi sequencer with all the bells and whistles. A good one it is, but it never felt right. EMU’s “Production Bundle” cd, that came a bit later, contained the Sonar 4 LE and I was happy for a moment, until I realised it lacks the groove quantize function, which I consider absolutely essential. Sigh, back to Cubase. When i got the money, I bought Sonar 5 Studio. Now I’m a happy camper midi editor-wise, although a few hundred euros poorer.

Actually, I’m pretty happy to use different programs for midi editing (Sonar), multitrack recording (nTS) and stereo audio editing/mastering (Adobe Audition - again something I got used to in the old Cool Edit 96 shareware version days). Staring at different looking interfaces now and then keeps thinking fresh, I reckon. :p

Quote (KingFish @ May 01 2006,08:05)
I would like to try a Variaxe. (sp?)

I don’t know anyone who has one so I don’t know how well they work but it seems like it might be fun to have.

KingFish

Hi Kingfish,

A friend of mine has the 600 series as well as 30 some years of traditional axes. His main guitar now is the variax. The thing plays great and sounds incredible as far at the models are concerned. Combine it with the variax workbench (ah the good old Amiga) and theres no limit to what you can create if your into tweaking. I was kinda jonesn’ for a T5 last year why I don’t know as I also have collected a few old friends along the way but if I were going to fork out $1500 it would certainly be for the Variax…you couldn’t even look at Taylor’s entry level T5. If your a guitar purist I’m sure you’d appreciate how good the models are…

Chris
Quote (TomS @ May 01 2006,13:34)
On the OLP - try before you buy. If that's the $200 one I'm thinkin gof, it's not worth spending any money on.

Thanks for the tip Tom.
Quote (chrisd @ May 01 2006,14:16)
Quote (KingFish @ May 01 2006,08:05)
I would like to try a Variaxe. (sp?)

I don't know anyone who has one so I don't know how well they work but it seems like it might be fun to have.

KingFish

Hi Kingfish,

A friend of mine has the 600 series as well as 30 some years of traditional axes. His main guitar now is the variax. The thing plays great and sounds incredible as far at the models are concerned. Combine it with the variax workbench (ah the good old Amiga) and theres no limit to what you can create if your into tweaking. I was kinda jonesn' for a T5 last year why I don't know as I also have collected a few old friends along the way but if I were going to fork out $1500 it would certainly be for the Variax...you couldn't even look at Taylor's entry level T5. If your a guitar purist I'm sure you'd appreciate how good the models are....

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. That's the model I am saving for.....................'cept everytime I get close something in the house decides to break!

This time I'm not gonna let the appliances know I've got xtra cash! :)

KingFish

A decent sound card with multi ins and outs and a couple of figure 8 mics

Roland GR-20 …

sigh

Here it comes… wait for it…

A Wishnevsky fretless. I just think they’re unlikely looking, and I’m more or less allright with that. Also I don’t mind the “lo-fi” approach, or the idea that it’s nearly a rough-hewn log, since it’s a fretless. That’s it’s own kind of instrument.

Now back to the program:

RNC compressor;
Alembic Spoiler, midnight blue lacquer (more than the Wishnevsky);
Rickenbacker bass, 4001/3 or 4001s (more than the Wishnevsky);
8’ recording snake;
Control surface, maybe a Peavey PC-1600;
Matched pair of AT4050’s;
Tascam 234 4-trk recorder

Time to stop…

Quote (Sloom @ May 02 2006,07:24)
Tascam 234 4-trk recorder

Why just a 4 track Sloom???

What do you have in mind for it??

Hi All:
I got some mail from this place… Cause I have a bundle of these plugs…

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/mpl-1.php

This “Special” should not be overlooked by me… However, I need someone or all of you to send me enough loonies to cover IT on my VISA… O.K. All of you… decide how much you wantta drop in the bucket… :O :laugh: :p

Bill…

[EDIT]
Oh yes… I pick up that mainboard and ram… after I get home this afternoon, from work… We’ll see how this “Swap-out” project is gonna go with this P-4…

They make fantastic pugs Bill, I really like the free classic series would have paid money for it.

Stu,
If I had more time and a better space, maybe I’d like a fancier machine. But it’s pretty easy as far as procedure, and not very fussy. That’s good with full-time stuff in life. I also am just kind of attatched to cassette. I know, this is wrong… :D

I just got in my head a day or so ago… I really think I need a few ribbon mics around this place.

TG, let me know how you get on with Sonar. I didn’t get the upgrade bundle. I too don’t want to drop the bucks… but for something I spend 40 hours a week dorking with, might as well belly up. As for Cakewalk, they were probably the first PC based sequencer out there 10 or 15 years ago (With Cubase a close second). But dear god, Cubase is just sooooo klunky and awful. I loaded up the bundled copy from the EMu and maybe spent an hour messing with it. It sucked.

And really, I can’t complain about N’s MIDI capabilities. It has served me well. It’s editing features are just very basic is all. Heck, for MIDI folks, hit ebay and look up an old version of Cakewalk before it became Sonar.

Hi StuH:
I have a couple of Free Limiters… But I think the algorithm on this (Limiter), the Pro One would see some use around here… And now that n-Track has the Time-line Clip feature I think that IT might take the editing I do around here to another level… I do use free plugs but as I add “Paid-For” Plugs to my collection, I seem to navigate to the Paid-for ones…

But I’d have to say the “Classic Series” plugs from this site is mabey, the nicest set of Plug-ins I have, in my collection…

IT’s a good thing I made a phone call to the place where I’m getting this Mainboard and Ram… It isn’t gonna be in till tomorrow… If I went over there without checking I’d still be in the traffic and without the board-and-ram… Quiting time traffic to Hailfax, from where I live is awful… to say the least… I may even delay the pick-up of this order till Friday… I don’t work on that Day… We’ll see…

Bill…

My list, if I can ever get to it …

A pair of SP VTB-1 preamps

Another LDC mike (have an SP B3), either an SP B1, an SP C1, or Rode NT1-A

Peavey Grind 5-string bass, unless someone can talk me out of it by identifying something better (most likely used). Maybe I’m dense, but the Grind just feels, sounds, and looks nice to me, and it’s cheap.

Tube screamer or similar – just got a used Blues Deluxe, and it’s just not quite hot enough (and too loud – but Blues Jr just doesn’t seem to have the juice).

Radio Shack digital piano, for $300 a great fully-weighted 88-key board with MIDI I/O, only 29 lbs, OK sounds but I’d use it with laptop, so I can leave my Ensoniq MR76 set up at home rather than pulling it out and setting it back up every week.

Repairs on my Guild cedar-top classical guitar (it buzzes – loose brace inside)
Repairs on my Jubal archtop – needs a neck reset
Repairs on my Martin HD28 – I’d like a touch lower action, and the bridge is already too low. Then again, when I dig in really hard I like the action how it is. So maybe I’d be better off getting a Taylor K14CE, if they ever make 'em again, for finger picking. Or an HD28-VLS with action set low for fingerpicking.

That’s all, really. 'less I get to thinking about a Dobro again …

Gee, only one keyboard item and I’m mainly a keyboard player. I guess I must be pretty happy with the MR76 plus the sounds I can get from my laptop!