getting GM MIDI tracks /clips

to work in VSTi instruments

this may help you if your imported (downloaded) MIDI tracks/clips do not work correctly in N -

first - although the track extension always says .mid, there is more than one type of MIDI track - the main types are GM (General MIDI) and SMF (standard MIDI file) - it is the GM type that foul everything up -

the problem lies in that a GM MIDI track is PRE PROGRAMMED to select an instrument from the Gereral MIDI set - what this means is that every time a MIDI track is played it will change the PROGRAM of a VSTi instrument - you set the VSTi to the program (preset/instrument) you want, the GM track will reset the progran to what it wants every time the track is played -

to overcome this - insert MIDI track/clip - double click in MIDI track to open track preferences - look under the green speed change arrows, if the PROGRAM box shows an instrument, acoustic grand piano/organ/guitar etc - click on the dropdown arrow at the end of the box and set it to NONE - this will stop the track pre-selecting an instrument -

NOW right click in the track - select EVENTS LIST - from the bottom buttons select VIEW/PLACE EVENTS - box opens - in the VIEW section hold down the SHIFT kay and select both NOTES and PROGRAM CHANGE - OK -

scan down the list and look for PROGRAM CHANGES - click in the TIME collum next to the program change (turns blue) then click on the DELETE button - do this for all program changes -

your MIDI clips should now work correctly -

BUT this not permanent it only works for that session - resaving the MIDI track under a new name does not work -

you have to ues another app to strip out all program changes -

http://www.sweetwater.com/k2000/smf-t.html

this app works BUT is not that easy to work out what to strip out as n often says it cnnot read the file, plays it OK though -

M.R.

Nice work MR! At least you pointed to some temp solutions. Its to bad the changes can’t be saved. One used to be able to make changes in N, then close N, not saving, and when reopened the changes where there.
A little like the buffer settings changes. There isn’t an option to save those you just close that window. N remembers changes like that. Try making your midi changes, then exiting n without saving anyting, song still open etc. Who know that might still apply.
Levi

The trouble with midi: I feel like I need an advanced degree to use it. I stil like just getting people in a room and make sounds that are recorded. Trouble is, tyring to find a good drummer, and trying to record drums are ALMOST as much trouble as midi. Oh, Well . . .

I was the same way bax - get over it! :laugh:
It’s actually very easy when you get the hang of it. Especially with VST instruments and a keyboard controller.

Speaking of T-shirts…

I wanna make some that have “MIDI ??” in big bold text on the front. Underneath in smaller text… “AIN’T SKEERD!” On the back, it just says “MIDIOT”… :laugh:

Problem is of course, few average Joe’s will “get it”…

D

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 20 2009, 5:05 PM)

Speaking of T-shirts...

I wanna make some that have "MIDI ??" in big bold text on the front. Underneath in smaller text... "AIN'T SKEERD!" On the back, it just says "MIDIOT"... :laugh:

Problem is of course, few average Joe's will "get it"...

D

Why not get a T that says "Magnum" some women will prob get that ;)
Quote: (bax3 @ Jan. 20 2009, 4:11 PM)

The trouble with midi:
I feel like I need an advanced degree to use it.
I stil like just getting people in a room and make sounds that are recorded.
Trouble is, tyring to find a good drummer, and trying to record drums are ALMOST as much trouble as midi.
Oh, Well . . .

Get a delta 1010 bax3, their are plenty of good drummers!

I own Band-in-a-Box, PowerTracks, RealTracks, Jamstix and what ever it is that come with n_Track. I just end up tapping a key on the midi keyboard after getting frustrated trying to get the thing to, I don’t know, play along with me. Can’t get it to listen - of course, I have had humans respond in the negative also. :heart-break:

I’m with you on midi.
However, midi files take up no room.
I have a software prog called drumsite.
it isn’t expensive and easy to use.
You can export in eather wav or midi.
I usually make a measure then export it looping the one measure 400 times or so lol
And work on the grove and guitar riff to the loop.
I go back to the drumsite software and start building arrangement.
Or there are times when Im just into playing drummer and build a whole song based on 12 bar, and do it all in my head.
then make adjustments later.
You might like it.
I’m liking the sound of pw’s drums.
Could be just his mix, the punk.

Quote:

However, midi files take up no room

However, great samples to trigger take gigabytes of room.
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 20 2009, 6:01 PM)

Quote:

However, midi files take up no room

However, great samples to trigger take gigabytes of room.

So you are sampling loops or hits? Maybe you might like drumsite for building your midi songs with. The score sheet is minamized and maximized like ntracks track line. I find it a nice tool to work with.

I got my system down pretty slim the way I like it. But thanks for the tip!

No that dosn’t work!
No reason to say that.

Quote:

So you are sampling loops or hits?

Neither.

D, speakung of T Shirts - surely “kill da wrabbit” would sell more …

or you could publish a book titled DUMMIES for MIDI -

anyway, think you are great, have a happy day -

M.R.

I think you can do the same thing with most DAW’s (with drum midi files)
by importing to a single track and using the correct midi map. (usually
a text file)
The midi maps for most combos of software(EZ) and DAW’s are out there on
the net. Pretty easy.

DUB - you know that they have the map for EZ and R - it’s on their forum.

Lets see - that might just be for the instrument listing in the
MIDI editor.

http://ntrackforum.com/cgi-bin…50;st=0

An old MIDI tutorial I wrote. Might be of use.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Jan. 21 2009, 5:19 AM)

I think you can do the same thing with most DAW's (with drum midi files)
by importing to a single track and using the correct midi map. (usually
a text file)
The midi maps for most combos of software(EZ) and DAW's are out there on
the net. Pretty easy.

DUB - you know that they have the map for EZ and R - it's on their forum.

Yep.

Are you aware of EZPlayer? Toontrack offered it free for a long time but now I see it has achieved "Pro" status and costs moolah doo-dasky... Anyway, EZPlayer lets you use any GM MIDI drum file and it automagically remaps it to work in EZD without headaches. It works great. If you don't have it, let me know and see if I can find the free version for you.

D