Going to version 4 from 3

It has been a while since I have visited the forum, (pre-hacker garbage), but I have been using my n-track 4.
Should I delete version 3? Plus, I can not get my sfz player to open anywhere. I am so glad that version 4 comes with the compression; it works great for me!
Awaiting a reply,
Billy Hopkins

It depends does version 4 work okay for you, then 3 might not be needed, your choice, as far as sfz not working that would worry me a tad since i use it alot, also what does the new compressor have to do with sfz? one is a sampler the other a compressor? Me confused!

I think he is not implying that those go hand in hand. just stating them one after the other. yes? ???

I am finally going to make the change from 3.3 to 4 when I get home from work tonight.

Partly because I want the compressor, and partly because it just seems to be about time. I am going to do an archive of all audio crap on my laptop soon and it seems that I might aswell begin on my nicely cleaned and organized drive with the most up to date version I can.

So… wish me good luck! :O

I’m struggling with the same issue – purchased V4 but haven’t even installed it yet. Pretty soon I’ll install it for testing purposes only; I won’t save any modified songs.

Just remember that once you save a song in V4, there’s no going back to V3 for that song (except from archives, of course). I wish Flav had asked me; it’s not too hard to write forwards/backwards compatible file formats. Ah, well – it’s such a great program in so many ways!

Quote (learjeff @ Jan. 25 2005,17:08)
Just remember that once you save a song in V4, there's no going back to V3 for that song (except from archives, of course). I wish Flav had asked me; it's not too hard to write forwards/backwards compatible file formats. Ah, well -- it's such a great program in so many ways!

why don't you let Flavio know about it now? I haven't bought v4 yet, and if he could still do that (big IF there - I'm not a programmer and perhaps it's too late for this change) it would be great - and I'm sure you could benefit from it once that upgrade would be available too - unless you plan on modifying evrything you've done on v3 all at once...

The better (easier?) option at this point would be to add a version format save option like there is in MSWord, for example. That way, if you want to save it in 3.x or 2.x for some reason, you could.

fish

I doubt Flavio wants to rewrite all the load/save code. But if he does, here’s one way to do it.

When saving data, save EVERYTHING in (type, length, value) tuples, where the type is an integer code that indicates what the parameter is, length gives the length of the value, and value is the data. If it’s hierarchical, the data portion contains more TLV tuples.

When assigning integer Type codes, NEVER reassign a value. Once you’ve assigned it, it’s forever.

When reading data, ignore tuples with unrecognized Type codes.

Works great for protocol interoperability between different versions of the same protocol, and also for files saving program state & data (like n-track config file and song files).

I usually use a different solution, where everything is saved in nerd-readable ASCII format. This has saved my bacon numerous times, since it’s easy to hand-edit a partially garbled file (usually caused by a bug). It also makes it easier for savvy users of the program to pinpoint the source of bugs. On the other hand, it probably makes it more likely to get bug reports due to folks hacking the file and getting it wrong. (Though, most hackers should know better than to file a bug report for a hacked situation.)

PS: I use the term “hacker” in it’s original meaning, having nothing to do with piracy or privacy invasion or anything illegal, immoral, or fattening.