Grand Piano Recordings

feedback welcome

I went to a friend’s apartment and recorded these two songs for her. I used condensor mics placed behind the pianist. When I first put the mic near the strings, I heard too much of the sustain pedal hitting the strings. You can still hear it but it is not too bad now. I panned the stereo mics 40% and reduced the EQ at 200 to remove the muddiness.

Here are the recordings. She does mostly New Age stuff.

http://www.keithredingband.com/Dreaming_Final.mp3
http://www.keithredingband.com/CarlaSong_Final.mp3

Keith

Copyright 2006

I really enjoyed the tracks, especially carla song, the dynamics and key changes were great, recording a grand Piano must be very, very difficult to get right.

I enjoyed the tracks, very much, thanks

Guy

Well…whomever is playing has some talent.

There is something weird going on around 3k and seems to be missing the 12k and above frequencies. Did you cut these to hide the pedal noise?

Overall, it sounded clean and clear. Nice job.

Quote (Katau @ April 07 2006,13:32)
Well…whomever is playing has some talent.

There is something weird going on around 3k and seems to be missing the 12k and above frequencies. Did you cut these to hide the pedal noise?

Overall, it sounded clean and clear. Nice job.

No sure what you picked up with the EQ. I did notice when looking at the EQ spectrum that the high frequencies had really low levels. Not sure why. I use these same mics with drums and I get all of the highs. Maybe it had to do with the placement and trying to get rid of the pedal noise.

Carla came to my house tonight and recorded some new songs on my Yamaha P90 digital piano. Recording is certainly much easier. One take with no background noise.

Here is one of them. I think it sounds remarkably like a real acoustic piano, without the noise!

http://www.keithredingband.com/Longing.mp3

Copyright 2006

Hi You:
I’d sure like to have something better than a modem and telephone wire.

Placing mics on a real piano is an ART in-itself. It’s different on every piano, so, they say… When you find IT on that piano, you take notes and then tape the notes to the “Soundboard”… Easier Said-than-Done…

Bill…

I like the sound that you got with acoustic recordings. On the other hand, if you are after a really accurate sound, it seems like high frequencies are missing. What kind of microphones were you using? The sound is not as open and airy as I would expect to hear from condenser mics.

I used a stereo pair of MXL 993 condensor mics.

Keith

It turns out I also have a pair of 993’s, and they normally provide plenty of highs. I like them a lot. Woxner might be right… perhaps mic placement prevented the high frequencies from the pianos strings from being picked up.

I’d sure like to have something faster then a modem and tele wire… Then I wouldn’t be on here as long as I am downloading and uploading these files… I’d like to partisipate more in listening to your creative work and spend more time enjoying what you all are doing musically…

A piano is no different finding the Sweet spot(s) than mic’ing an acoustic guitar or a fiddle or a guitar amp… Moveing the mics one-way-or-another by a few inches is the difference of a “Keys” track that is O.K. and a Keys Track that is Great… After the right placment is found… IT needs to be documented…

Bill…