help! ntrack & reaper are fighting on my pc

hi its tina remember me i sold my soul to reaper!
well our demos have got a lot better lately i wont say thats cos were using reaper but it is cos were using addictive drums!
anyway we want to go back to some old songs on ntrack & put addictive drums on them but it wont play… it just says error opening midi out device which is set to use microsoft wavetable synth

if we now open reaper it says the following midi outputs could not be opened micrasoft gs wavetable synth…if we close ntrack then reaper will start to play addictive drums but if we close reaper then ntrack still wont play it… if anyone knows the answer to this wed be very grateful if youd tell us!! we might even hang around here again!

Do you have both Reaper and n-Track open at the same time?

no we dont have them running at the same time but what ever the reason its happening it doesnt matter anymore we made a drum part in reaper rendered it & put it in ntrack & whaddya know 170bpm in addictive drums is not the same as 170bpm in our old boss drum machine … the 2 drum parts go out of sync …what a bl**ding waste of time!

Glad to hear that you have it at least partly working. About the sync issues, I am not at all surprised. Nasty problem to solve.

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Oct. 04 2011, 12:06 PM)

no we dont have them running at the same time but what ever the reason its happening it doesnt matter anymore we made a drum part in reaper rendered it & put it in ntrack & whaddya know 170bpm in addictive drums is not the same as 170bpm in our old boss drum machine ... the 2 drum parts go out of sync ..what a bl**ding waste of time!

More like 170 BPM on a computer is not the same as a drum machine. The computer is probably much more accurate. You could sync the drum machine to PC using MTC... but that is a huge pain and AD probably sounds 100 times
better any way.

To your original question, in the MIDI device properties in N, uncheck "Keep devices open". See if that doesn't fix you.

There is an entry in the FAQ on here somewhere that describes a method for lining up two (stereo) tracks pulled in from a 4-track machine. Due to tape motor speed accuracy the tracks will end up being slightly different lengths.

This is similar to what you have.

The FAQ describes a method for time-stretching one of the tracks to line up with the other. You could try time-stretching (or shrinking!) your AD drum track to see if you can make it line up. Should be OK over a 3 minute song.

You might also want to experiment with slight variations to the tempo of the AD track - eg 171 bpm, 169 bpm, 170.5 bpm etc

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Oct. 04 2011, 2:52 PM)

More like 170 BPM on a computer is not the same as a drum machine. The computer is probably much more accurate.

Good point.
Ages ago I tried to line up a Roland DR-7 with n-Track's grid and found that the DR's 100BPM lined up pretty good with n-Track tempo set to 99.85 or something.
Try Mark's suggestion, Tina.

thanks for the suggestions! before i read most of them id decided it was the addictive drums snare sound i liked most so im embarressed to say i went thru the whole song moving all the snare beats into sync & taking out the old drum machine ones it took me absolutley ages but it does sound great now…i dont want to have to do that again! next time i will try what youve suggested

Moving things like that is a big time marketable skill, Tina! :)