Hockey Legend  Gone

Habs #5

Hockey’s Bernie Boom Boom Gefferon, dead at 75…

The Sports News reported his passing, of stomach cancer,
today…

He lived in Atlanta Ga.

His jersey #5 is being retired tonight in Montreal…

Bill…

Saw a bit of the ceremony. His slap shot is still worth studying, as Grapes noted tonight, he never really raised the stick that high, none of this ridiculous “reach for the rafters” slap shot sort of thing.

A perhaps irreverant bit went through my mind: “Boom-boom - out go the lights”

:(

The present day MinorLegue Kids have never seen these names playing. They only heard the uncles and grand fathers telling them stories about their skills… Sortta like the “The Big Fish Story”… :O :;):

I happens in other sports, like Basketball, Football, Baseball and Soccer… and…

Bill…

and music! :(

How could I ever forget… MUSIC… ??

Just for that…

How many songs were made popular by Bill Haley and the Comets? And… In-What-Order were they? And… where were they recorded?

NO Googleing… Please…

Bill…

Oh, sure, I know that off the top of my head… :D

Lessee, um, Rock around the Clock" and…ummm…hmm… :)

The power of Boom Boom’s slap shot was in the fore arms!

Bill and the comets, OMG.
Tough one Wox! :D

Hi YazMiester:
I couldn’t help IT… I cheated and did a Google on Bill Haley and the Comets

You’ll be surprised at what comes up… Anyway, I followed the first one and spent an hour or more on the links…

Now, I ain’t that old… Well… But I remember listening to the radio station on my Crystal Set, that I made… Bill Haley came IN… Just fine…

I bought one from the Catalogue Book but the one I made worked much better than the bought’n one…

I’m gonna say, the year was 1954… :O ??? I strung out an antenna… I’d say IT was about 50ft long… The Crystal set needed a “Good Ground”… Our old home had old Hot Water Radiators… I wrapped the ground wire around the radiator pipe… and voila… What a great Crystal Set I made… I had a pair of Diver’s Hi-impediance headphones that my uncle gave me… They worked just great… The “Crystal” was a piece of feldspar ?? The gernic name is Fools Gold… You can find IT anywhere… Especially, up here, where I live…

Bill…

Isn’t “fools gold” iron pyrite?

Can ya get it when Panning? I have 2 little chunks of Gold I found in local river while panning. Thought panning for gold would be a cool little hobbie to try, arrrgggggg, it’s a back breaking hobbie!

Hi Tom S:
You are probably right… You did your homework… I know… :O I said felspar cause I didn’t do mine. I only remember that this stuff could be found around here as easy as picking IT up. But the molecules of this stuff is aligned in such a way that RF Energy can pass through it easy in one direction and not in another direction… It’s something like germanium and something like silicon… You know that’s how transistors were discovered for the control of electrical current…

Then, all of a sudden there were no more “Tubes”… What a shame… IT spelt the END of that “Sweet Musical Tone”… and that Harmonic Distortion…

Danny Gallivan, a Cape Breton’er was the “Colour Man” for the Habs… and Foster Hewett… How do you spell his name? Anyway?? did the Leaf’s games. They came in on my crystal set… Les Paul, he pioneered the first multi-track tape recorder… was there and Her name was ??? Betty Ford… She did the vocals… Hank Williams… Bing Crosby… These names were pioneers of Radio… as I know IT… There were others, as well…

There were live shows that came from Radio City Music Hall… and WWVA in Wheeling, West Virginia… What was his name?

Who was that Marcconi Guy? Anyway? :O ??? :p He alone was responsible for makeing a lot of guys a Bunch’a Money…

Dick Tracey’s twin Brother? Or was IT Flavio’s Great Great Uncle… lol

Bill…

Wox, I think her name was Mary Ford, I could be wrong tho.

Hi YazMiester:
You’re so right. Betty ran the AA Foundation… IT came to me in a vision… All-of-a-Sudden…

Do I need to get busy on a Project? Or What? :O

I need a computer I can rely on… and some audio hardware that works… and…

I got lots of Out-Board Junk…

Bill…

Yeah, get busy on a project! :D (kidding!)

Foster Hewitt on a home-made crystal set - that is just about as good as it gets in my book. Closest I can come is pulling an AM radio out of my first car (a pinto) along with the car battery and carrying that stuff to my bedroom so I could listen to Bruce Martyn call Red Wings games in the late 70s. Martyn was as good as Foster H. Really. :)

It’s our memory of “Things” that’s as good-as-IT-Gets… Without that… who are we? and what is Day-to-Day… anyway… ??? I’m not so sure that I want to go back there… But it’s where we were that points us in some direction… Things seemed much simplier … then… and… with the expenditure of less energy.

I need some music to go along with these “Lines”…, ??? :laugh:

Bill…

But music that reflects the wisdom one picks up along the way doesn’t sell!

With the exception of that Bonnie Raitt (sp?) song. Oh, and “touch of grey” by that drug band. :)

Hi Tom:
Bonnie Raitt… I know… I Googled “Touch of Grey”… The Greatful Dead. I know the band name… but I still don’t know the song… Mabey, it’s cause I moved on from some styles of music…

Bill…