How do I turn a 4 track R2R into a tape delay?

?

TIA!

IS THE TARE FITTED WITH A ‘MONITOR’ HEAD ? - DO YOU HAVE A MULTI OUTPUT SOUNDCARD ?

DrJ

Yes, and yes.

as i prefer tracks to be recorded at the top -

insert blank audio track - output to channel 2 on soundcard -

insert wave file (any for test) - output to channel 1 on soundcard -

connect outputs from channel 1 to tapes input -
connect MONITOR output (on tape) to soundcards input, arm track 1 to record from this input -

TEST 1

for slapback, untick echo live input on track 1 -

press record on tape, start recording in N -

output from soundcard out 2 is recorded to tape, when recording on tape passes the monitor head the output (which is now delayed) will be recorded back into N on track 1 - monitor delay on phones via channel 1 - as this is where it is being recorded to -

altering tape speed will change tape delay -

TEST 2 -

here we are going for a more complicated type of delay -

change the output of track 1 to channel 1 - re-tick echo live input - we have now (on record) created a feedback loop, but due to latebcy in N it does not HOWL but re-sends the delayed input back to the tape - tape speed changes tape delay and buffer size highers and lowers latency delay in N - you will have to plug phones into tapes out to monitor what is going on -

Dr J

Quote:

I know how I'd do it... eBay. :)

D

i use a version of the above to send a track through my Rolamd sampler so i can use the D BEAM and record it back again into N - OHH how i love ROLAND gear -

Dr J

Diogenes - Ebay - that’s the ticket! :)

Seriously, I love Roland stuff too, but I have to say, the tape echo pedal (RE-20) that came out recently just doesn’t have the sound that the RE-201 has…

i dont have a R2R - so i use my Roland SP 606 which does a good job -

have a look here

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/eurodog6/myscreenshot-36.jpg

the source audio clip is sent to channel 1 on soundblaster, this then goes to the inputs of Roland, the output from Roland goes back to the input of soundblaster -

the recording track is set to the same output as the clip track (channel 1) -

on record, the timeline reaches the audio clip, the sound goes to the soundblaster then in and out of the Roland, it returns back to the recording track and after a delay set by Ns buffers is echoed to the output again - his cycle continues till audio is lost -

Dr J

in the screenshot the volume return from the recorded track was set to 0db, lowering the return volume shortens the echo length -

Dr J

Microphone stand.

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 20 2007, 12:15 PM)

Diogenes - Ebay - that's the ticket! :)

Seriously, I love Roland stuff too, but I have to say, the tape echo pedal (RE-20) that came out recently just doesn't have the sound that the RE-201 has...

Hey Tom,

Buncha geetar pickers I know swear by a little Akai delay unit. Darned if I can remember what the heck it's called? Senility setting in... Anyway, they said it's a Swiss Army Knife little rascal. Use it in guitar rigs, mic's, effects loops on recording gear. I'll try to find out what it is... they say it's as close to tape as they've heard and some of these had the old echoplex of yore.

D

PS Maybe it's the Akai Headrush?

D, that is pretty cool, but as far as emulations go, there is the free Karlette plug in from Steinberg.
Here:

http://www.steinbergcanada.com/support/freeware.htm

But I have real tape, and it’s just sitting there…
:)

And I need to waste a few hours farting around with the idea instead of writing something!

Yaz: mic stand?

Quote: (TomS @ Oct. 20 2007, 12:15 PM)

Seriously, I love Roland stuff too, but I have to say, the tape echo pedal (RE-20) that came out recently just doesn't have the sound that the RE-201 has...

Hmmm... the folks over at www.gretschpages.com can be quite particular about their delays & echoes, and this is a pretty typical opinion re the RE-20:

"I have a mint condition RE-301 and I can assure you that the Boss RE-20 pedal can match the long delay times, the preamp sounds, and the overal mojo of an RE-301 perfectly. I used to drag my RE-301 everywhere. But since the Boss RE-20 pedal came out, I can get every sound I want 100%, with no compromises. The Boss RE-20 really is the ****! You don't miss out on anything as compared to an RE-301 Space Echo. I kid you not!"

Well, I think they are mistaken. The “organic” quality is absent - it just sounds like a digital delay with some fancy features to me. I dunno, maybe I am missing something.

Oops, sorry, that’s a flange, nevermind.

I haven’t seen this yet…I’ll register someday… :)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug07/articles/tapeecho.htm

An old 4 track with a monitor head is really fun to play with.

Something else to do is to use a short piece of recording tape, spliced into a loop, so it will continuously loop around (getting the tension right can be a pain but it should be do-able and sometimes the methods are WAY other there). Put a piece of splicing tape over the erase head. The thickness of the tape causes less and less to be erased, so whatever was played will be replayed when the tape loops. The more it loops the more it is erased and fades. Loop length determines delay. 15" of tape is a second delay on a 15" ips machine.

Great link, phoo. I used to have a subscription, if I can find a copy I will fill in the missing details…

[edit] my school library get the mag. I will report back tomorrow. :D