How do you use and "insert"

O.K. newb question.
I recently traded for a RNC compressor.
Love it!
I am going out from a DMP3 to the compressor and out from there to my sound card.
Not really clear on what the “insert” plug does, or how you would plug into it.
help appreciated.

Actually I mean the RNC has a “Sidechain” then I have a VTB1 pre that has the insert… how would that work together?

The side chain monitors the main input signal in a side circuit.

It’s used for pluggin another device into it. Usually an EQ but you can use hook up an additional pre-amped signal to this, but I don’t see advantages to this. Maybe if your into podcasting and want different audio signal to fade out as another comes on line?

Say if you go pre-amp to compressor input then on the side chain plug in an EQ, the compression will only respond to the frequencies set in the EQ. So this way you can get rid of real crappy sounds pretty effectively. Do a search for compressor tips and look for ducking and de-essing.

Anyway to make a long story short pre-amp out to compressor in, compressor out to sound card in. EQ on the sidechain if you want to supress unwanted frequencies.

The FMR audio website has all the info. Read this section of the FAQs.

Jim

The side-chain of a compressor allows you to feed an independent signal to the control input of a compressor so that the gain is controlled by that signal rather than the main signal.

Jim

the VTB1 insert is where you place the compressor, and as mentioned the sidechain is for feedding a signal into the compressor that is “listens” to instead of the main signal. Most notable use is de-essing or compressing a portion of the signal rather than ALL of the signal.

O.K. did a little reading and “think” I understand. The ducking and de-essing is nothing I would be doing for now.
But still one more question, when you say
"the insert is where you place the compressor" do you mean for de-essing back into the side chain?

I guess what I’m asking is what is the best way to hook up the compressor. From the out of the pre…into the ins of the compressor, then to the soundcard??

That would work.

If you were using a mixer without a separate preamp you would typically use the mixer’s insert. Inserts on a mixer place the mixer preamp output onto the tip (or ring, depending on design) of a TRS plug where it can be sent to an external effect. The ring (or tip) is then used to return the signal to the next stage of the channel (EQ or whatever). When a plug is not in the jack, tip and ring are shorted together, passing the signal through without modification. This connection is unbalanced and a cable with a TRS plug on the insert end and two TS plugs on the other end are typically used to connect to the input and output of the effect.

As I indicated above, some mixer designers may choose to place the output on the tip, others on the ring. The same insert cable works for either but you have to know which TS plug is the input and which is the output (for your mixer configuration) to connect it up properly. There are a few mixers that use separate jacks for the input and output signals but these are rare.

In any case the term “insert” means to insert an effect in series with the signal path.

Inserts can also be used to tap the output of the mixer’s preamps before the EQ and faders if you don’t have separate preamps. You can either use a special cable with a TRS plug with tip and ring shorted on the insert end and a TS plug at the other, a standard insert cable with the two plugs at the effect end plugged into a Y-adapter (which is plugged into the soundcard), or a standard TS (guitar) cable inserted into the insert part way for mixers with a ring output or all the way for mixers with a tip output. In the last case the mixer channel will always be muted so you cannot use the mixer for monitoring if that technique is used.

Jim