How does one group tracks together?

If I wish to move many tracks together at one time to keep them in sync, how do I group them (I am used to multi-picking - shift-clicking - tracks and then being able to group them or apply them to another layer or something like that.

Could anyone tell me if ntrack can do this? If so, how?

I am an old ntrack user (from 2.2 days) and decided to come back after seeing the new improvements.

Lastly, Flavio, will surround sound production ever happen in ntrack?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

hi mike… surround is in the beta… please share any findings with us, as it seems that we’re slowly learning the surround things ourselves…

to group tracks, simply right click on a track and select “send to group”… that will create a new group/bus and you can apply effects and adjust volume etc…

thanks,
isaac

Many thanks.

I will have to downloadf the beta then!!!

I am setup for surround processing in two rooms - my recording studio and my home theatre, so I can mix here in the studio and then listen to it in a more “normal” home application.

Great to hear it’s "in the mix"

Mike

In reading your “grouping” answer, I think you did not get what I was asking, so I will define it further (but I sincerely thank you for your quick response):

I wish to GROUP the tracks so that I can physically MOVE THEM as one track and not many tracks.

My background includes graphic design (a la photoshop, corel, etc) and in those programs you can group and ungroup layers - thereby allowing for easier editing. Most audio programs have followed suit (adobe premiere, cubase, sonar, etc) and I really use this feature tremendouly.

I was NOT looking for add tracks to an aux bus for processing together - I am looking to EDIT tracks together. For example, if I am doing a foley prject and need to align a sound fx to the main video/audio track - after a while of editing (many hours) I may have to move something and then all the other tracks/fx are out of sync - instead of moving them one-by-one, I would rather GROUP them together as ONE ENTITY snd them move them as one track together into place.

I hope I clarified my question and I thank you for a quick response.

Mike

I don’t know much about it, but I know that if you select one track, push shift, and you can select another, and once you have however many you want selected, you can move them. I don’t know if that’s what you’re after though.

yeah, sonar has a similar function called “track folders”, photoshop has something called “layer sets”… you’re probably thinking of something like that? they are basically project management features.

n-track’s grouping may do some of what you want (just not visually)… try sending a bunch of tracks to a group and put an effect on that group… adjust the level, eq, etc.

Thank you for the help, but no, that’s not what I was looking for. You are right, though, with Sonar and Photoshop you can group layers and objects together. Another area where this is normal is in 3D modelling applications, something I also do, grouping is 100% necessary in that case.

I just cannot see working with digital audio without a grouping function where many tricks (say, shift clicking them and then choose a function called GROUP to make them part of a group) cannot be done otherwise.

How else, other than using the grid, which is not as exacting, would you accomplish this otherwise? It’s one thing if you have 3 tracks, it’s another when you have 30 tracks (or more) and many samples per track and you need to move them all because, say, you accidentilly nudged them the wrong way and undo became unavailable (just trying to make a useful example point) - without a grouping function you would have to move each individual audio byte. Ughhh - not me - I could not see sitting there for hours doing that over and over again when I could group them all and move them in one action.

Mike

<!–QuoteBegin>

How else, other than using the grid, which is not as exacting,

It certainly is if you’ve set the tempo first and recorded to a click or metronome.

This is indeed functionality missing from n-Tracks. I find myself wanting it when working with complete drums or groups of layered guitars. As it is I feed them into a single submix (group) for playback but edits to the individual tracks much be done one track at a time. It’s time consuming and prone to errors, but that’s the only way to do it…for the kinds of edits I do.

<!–QuoteBegin>

It’s one thing if you have 3 tracks, it’s another when you have 30 tracks (or more) and many samples per track and you need to move them all because, say, you accidentilly nudged them the wrong way and undo became unavailable (just trying to make a useful example point) - without a grouping function you would have to move each individual audio byte. Ughhh - not me - I could not see sitting there for hours doing that over and over again when I could group them all and move them in one action.

n-track can handle this:

- select the wav files dragging tool (the crosshair icon in the toolbar)
- without clicking on a wav file segment, drag a box around all the wav segments you want to select (although i can’t seem figure out how to add or remove individual wav segments after you’ve highlighted a bunch… forgive me, i don’t do ALOT of editing this way).
- now that the selection is made, drag any one of those segments and they should all move together (this works across multiple tracks)

Thanks dimmer77, that seemed fishy from what I remember so I just tried it and it worked!

Another way to move multiple waves (whether they’re in the same track or not) is to hold down the shift key and click each wav individually. Then you can slide them all along the watchtower, WAIT I mean timeline! They should all move together. And yes it would be a nice feature if you could “group” a selection of waves like this (as opposed to sending tracks to a group for processing). This is what you mean, right Karmacomposer?

I’m not quite sure how to describe this but n-Track seems to have 2 different “flavors” of making a selection. One flavor is clicking and dragging which works for cut-and-pasting sections of a track. The other flavor is shift-clicking that works for moving entire wav files as described above.

Try it and you’ll see that they are graphically and functionally different.

hth,
mrtoad