How to copy MIDI-Bars with more than one track?

Hi,

Lets think I have done three MIDI-tracks (8 bars long). The first and the second track are drums and bass, the third is a lead-instrument. Now I want to copy the first 4 bars of those two tracks to another position (insert between 4th and 5th bar). How can I do this? Selecting and using Copy&Paste does not work like I expect.

Any tipps?

Donald

Not sure that you can “insert” automatically like you can, for example with a text editor.

I think you may need to physically move all your events past the 4th bar to the right to make room for what you want to insert.

Any other takers on this?

Yeah as far as I know you can’t “insert” you’ll need to cut at the point and drag the right part across 4 bars to the right so you have 4 bars empty in between what used to be bar 4 and 5 (and is now bar 4 and 9.
then copy bars 1-4 and then paste them at bar 5

Rich

Yeah as far as I know you can't "insert" you'll need to cut at the point and drag the right part across 4 bars to the right so you have 4 bars empty in between what used to be bar 4 and 5 (and is now bar 4 and 9.
then copy bars 1-4 and then paste them at bar 5

And if I need to do this with a whole Refrain? Do I have to do this for every track?

It seems to me, that n-Track is a really good recording-program but the MIDI-features are not complete enough to use it as a sequencer. I hoped to get rid of the other programs like Cubase, Logic, Jazz++, Massiva, Anvil etc...

Has been just a dream...

Donald

You can use “Edit->Insert” to insert space into a song file – but it works on the whole file, not just the selected tracks (IIRC). If you have the grid set up properly, it’s not hard to do multiple copy-paste operations – but then, it depends on the part and whether there’s a pickup, etc.

I do all my MIDI editing in n-Track, but I mostly play in parts and then edit to adjust, rather than taking blocks of parts and repeating them to arrange songs (I prefer a natural sound to a repetitive one).

n-Track is a great program, but it’s not as advanced a MIDI editor/compositor as other programs. Some folks do their initial MIDI composition in a different program and then import it into N when starting to add audio.