How to determine the "key" of a song?

I dunno, my friends say I have a lousy temperment! :)

I was sort of kidding Ali, what with VSTi and all I’ve had a chance to play around with all sorts of temperments, and I actually think I get Beauty in the Beast and the rest of them. :)

This is where Dr. Guitar’s teaching comes into play, yes, I agree with doc bout teaching when the subject comes up in a forum such as this. Now we have to comunicate thru language. If the subject came up in the bar, someone would just grab a Les Paul and say, “John check it out, here’s your key”, But then again Tom would pick up a strat and confuse everyone too LOL :D

GIBSON RULES! :D

Quote (nergle @ Feb. 28 2005,19:00)
I was sort of kidding Ali, what with VSTi and all I've had a chance to play around with all sorts of temperments, and I actually think I get Beauty in the Beast and the rest of them.

Yeah, sorry Tom, exchanging posts with Toke tends to leave me with a humour deficit for a while. :)

Ali
Hee hee hee - I know that too, Ali! Just pulling your leg! :) It is totally cool however, that VSTi allow us to explore these sorts of things so easily.

Yaz, what exactly does Debbie Gibson rule?

My brain hurts.

You guys are way out of my league. :O

I was thinking that there was a simple rule that would be something like “In the key of B, the following seven chords can be played:…” etc… And then there you guys go bringing up “tonal center” and “modes” and “temperment”… ouch. Maybe I’ll stick to G/C/D songs and just move the capo up and down the neck from now on. :D

Thanks again for ll the reponses! Even if I don’t quite follow most of it, it’s fasinating to read, and I’m impressed by the amount of educated musicians we have here, even if some of them still like Strats. :p

-John
:cool:

Well, in a round about way we kinda did give you the rules. If you know how to make a major scale and know that the chords follow the following rules in a major scale: I is major, II is minor, III is minor, IV is major, V is major, VI is minor, and VII is diminished, you can figure out the key to most things.

Jeez louuise, dont know wwwwhattttahtt, youre talking here, but , sure enough, some simple stuff will go thru most guitarists roofs. It seems simple enough, noone makes it simple, but maybe my sons’ tab stuff cuz he is playing what he wants?.

Am I missing something, or should I learn this tab thing?

Son sounds GOOD!

Quote (nergle @ Mar. 01 2005,17:10)
Well, we strum that C7 till the audience can't take any more, then we release, or, resolve it.

But, where to?

Well, the fifth of Bb is F, and not only that, but the C7 contains a C, which is the fifth of F. So perhaps a Fmajor is the way to go.

Heh... Funny thing is that opne of my newer songs does almost exactly that on a part of the chorus:

C C7 F Fmin C

Cools stuff, now I know why it "feels" the way it does. Thanks!

-John
:cool:

Case in point, Tull.

And Martin Barre played a GIBSON, not a debbie either LMAO :D

Plug in the GIBSON!:D :D