How to render reverb tail at end of song

I’m having trouble getting my reverb tail rendered properly at the end of my song in N 4.1 (1980). The final mixdown ends abruptly at the end of the last note and I don’t get the final reverb tail or any silence at the end.

I’ve got a single MIDI track that I’ve mixed down (with sfz) to a single wave file. I’m running one instance of FreeVerb2 and the Kjaerus Audio classic master limiter.

I’m rendering the selection, and I’m selecting a bunch of silence at the end, but the render still ends at the end of the last note, cutting off the reverb tail. “Stop playback at end of song” is NOT checked.

I’ve been using previous versions of N for some time now, and I haven’t ever seen this. Am I missing something obvious?

Eyup!

I have experienced this myself, usually when a midi track(s) and an audio track(s) are present in the song.
The workaround I found is to always make sure that an audio track extends well beyond the intended end of the song. I sometimes just let one of the audio tracks run on a bit when I am recording.
It doesnt matter if the audio track is faded to zero, just so long as it runs long enough to allow any reverb tails to die off.
The fact that it’s present is the key.

Steve

I have a small .wav file residing on my DAW for this sole purpose - just a one-second-long stereo file with nothing but silence. I use to place it on an empty audio track way past the last midi event - 10 seconds or so will usually suffice.

BTW, I always render all midi tracks into audio before doing a mixdown, then I either load those audio tracks into a fresh project for mixing, or I copy the original project and delete the midi files from the copy.

regards, Nils

Quote (Nils K @ Nov. 30 2005,11:07)
I have a small .wav file residing on my DAW for this sole purpose - just a one-second-long stereo file with nothing but silence. I use to place it on an empty audio track way past the last midi event - 10 seconds or so will usually suffice.

That makes sense. This is the first time I have used sfz. In the past, I’ve always used a hardware synth, so there was always a silence tail at the end of at least one of the tracks.

I did try a variant of the silent sample trick. I created a new track and placed a short sample beyond what I had selecetd for mixdown. Maybe it didn’t work because it was outside the selection. I’ll try it again tonight.

Thanks for the help.

James

<!–QuoteBegin>

Maybe it didn’t work because it was outside the selection.

Correct. It must be selected of it is ignored.

This is actually a long standing bug in the application. It clips off the last few seconds when rendering a mixdown sometimes. It could be fixed at any time and I’d never know since I always extend the end of the song well past the musical end of the song to avoid that bug.

This is no reflection on Flavio. The workaround is very easy to do so I suspect he doesn’t get many reports about it. It’s similar to having a few seconds of dead air as lead-in to a song. That’s where the count-in and getting ready to play and all that happen. Likewise at the end things fade out and it takes time to reach over and stop recording. Just tose simple normal actions will mask the problem for most people.

Then a mix will be done and no one will notice that a few seconds of that fade where nothing useful gets recorded is actually missing.

Personally, if it is a MIDI only project, I just draw in some garbage CC info that goes to nothing to fill the space.

One of my pet peeves about MIDI editing is that it’s hard to scroll out to the right in the piano roll if there are no MIDI events out there. Sometimes I want to add a few MIDI parts a few measures or even minutes into a song, but have no events up to that point. It takes a little doing to get out there but it can be done. (zoom WAY out - add a random note - zoom back in - there are other ways)

I’ve even considered having a standard MIDI file to use as a template that exactly what you suggested Bubba.

Thanks for all of your help. I generated a ten-second silent wav file with Audacity and stuck it at the end of a blank track.

Worked like a charm.

James