how to....

Ok, mark thanx for the tip,

I have googled and it seems I am up to speed at least with a rudimentary understanding of RAID.

The other day I viewed a lot of RAID IBM pc’s being sold on ebay that were set up for a server.

the concepts of stripping and mirroring certainly sounds like it has it advantages in both increased data recovery and simultaneous backup respectively.

Just curious, has anyone tried this configuration in their D.A.W.s? and are there any potential downfalls or shortcomings I should be aware of (besides the obvious that stripping would cause should a drive fail and no Parity is used.)

My questions are pretty simple about RAID configuration, like for instance, is there only one boot drive? that is is there only one drive of say three that has the O.S installed on it? and if so, do you need to keep a backup drive in the wings with the O.S. on it with some sort of “ghost” file as well?

When I worked at a warehouse the used DOS backup on their servers and every day like clockwork they had to do a “backup” it took about 45 min…not sure I want to get involved in that daily routine.

Would something like this be doable?
USed Raid system

I notice the processor speed on some of these RAID computers is rather low, is that because less is needed in a stripping configuration?
Also would something like this work with Firewire?

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Quote:

With recent computer failure I am contemplating recording to two drives simultaneously.

I would recommend setting up your next DAW with a RAID 1 (mirrowed) configuration, or a RAID 0/1 configuration. You'll need 2 disks for the first and 4 for the second, but you'll have ultimate protection. I would also recommend getting an extra hard drive in case one fails.
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Mar. 31 2009, 5:59 AM)

With all do respect I read what you wrote, and understand it completely.

This has less to do with two computers being "synced" together in some sort of perfect timing (not the point really if one of them takes a crapper any sync is useless) and more to do with simultaneously recording to to computers and operating them with one mouse and the "monitoring" aspect being "synced" if that is even a term used to define such a task.

BTW, you really should think better of yourself and work bubba I have heard some of it, and you never know if your gonna have a zillion dollar take, you ever listen to The Misfits Plan 9 from outer space?

Then I really don't understand your follow up question. The resaon I suggest an after record sync is that it prevents read and write operations at the same time (which is what I said... the WHY). Plus, if machine A craps during the recording, your wav file is spaghetti anyway.

As for thinking highly of myself, I would just replay the take. If i did it the first time, I can do it the second.

RAID is certainly an option, but in the world of hyper parnoid uptime, the machine's power supply, motherboard and RAID controller become single points of failure. Would I worry about it? No, but he is asking about separate physical systems.

Yup. To get what Jeremy said he really wants, he would need to buy a server class box with multiple redundant power supplies, RAID controllers and a sack full of hard drives. Then to carry his “wish list” even further, he’d need TWO of them along with identical mid to high end audio/midi interfaces word clocked together for “perfect” synch, identical software on both and some method to control both of the computers at the same time.

You got 10 grand to blow Jerm? :p

Like phoo said… More trouble than it’s worth to hack together something less. If I were that paranoid about it, I’d go stand alone hard disk recorder fed by a split snake/mixer or by passing the audio back out the outputs of my audio interface. The drawback to the last one is if the computer pukes, you’ll likely lose the signal coming out of the audio interface. The split snake/mixer would be the safest bet.

You got 10 grand to blow Jerm? :p :p

Better yet, just go straight to a hard disk recorder which should be orders if magnitude more reliable than a PC and fly the tracks into a PC for editing and mixing after tracking.

Not trying to discourage you bro’… just shooting a dose of cynicism laced reality at you. :laugh:

D

Quote:

No, but he is asking about separate physical systems

Right - I know and that's way too complicated and not necessarily any better, IMO.
He sounds like he wants the security of a server, which is why I recommended RAID.
In the old days, setting up a RAID configuration like this was expensive but now it's within the reach of any of us.
My system is a RAID-0 system and I've debated going RAID 0/1 myself.

Actually, you don't need any of this if you have an effective backup strategy (which you must have). I ghost all my work to a 300 GB hard drive. Of course that doesn't protect me against a fire or earthquake.
Quote: (Mr Soul @ Mar. 31 2009, 12:12 PM)

Quote:

No, but he is asking about separate physical systems

Right - I know and that's way too complicated and not necessarily any better, IMO.
He sounds like he wants the security of a server, which is why I recommended RAID.
In the old days, setting up a RAID configuration like this was expensive but now it's within the reach of any of us.
My system is a RAID-0 system and I've debated going RAID 0/1 myself.

Actually, you don't need any of this if you have an effective backup strategy (which you must have).
I ghost all my work to a 300 GB hard drive.
Of course that doesn't protect me against a fire or earthquake.

Thanks again for all the help guys,

I do back up all my work, that is not the issue, haven't lost any to date.

The issue is dealing with the event of loosing a hardrive and having to install Windows XP, a myriad of drivers and software onto a new drive that run all my interfaces and devices.

My thinking was by having a separate backup computer system with all this already loaded on it and any current projects I could not suffer the loss of inspiration should it strike at 3AM and I go to turn on a computer only to find some crucial dll file has been whipped out by the latest windows update and XP no longer loads.
I would then simply use the remaining system without skipping a beat, no loading of anything, transferring of files, natta.

I was thinking I would keep the one hooked up to the net and allow it to update, while the other loaded with service pack3 offline.

I already have everything I would need to send to quality signals to both systems (no were near as expensive and complicated for me as D is making it out to be)
The GNX4 hooks up via USB, and the M-adio firewire interface I already use uses firewire.
Syncing the two computers musical input later is completely not a concern as long as one of them survives everything I would need to keep working would always be on hand.(not stored on my external as "backup" although they would be dumped there on intervals as well)

the only real issue which I still do not believe I have found a solution to and is my original question was how to control both systems at the same time, monitoring them separately but controlling them with a single mouse.

I am going to check out the links and programs people gave as I set the system up to see what can be done.

This has less to do with "Two hardrives" being synced, or even
two computers" being daisy chained together in some RAID configuration or thousand dollar server, and more to do with being able to monitor and control two independent PC's both with their own O.S. at the same time.
Not that RAID does not sound like a good way to fly but it seems to require a bit more computer savy than I have to maintain and set up, also I am not sure it would achieve in the end what I am wanting to do unless each drive had everything on them required to run the systems (OS, drivers for all the cards, interfaces and software) that if one of them failed (the master) the next one would simply become the master boot drive.

I guess I won't know until I set them up look at both monitors (with my wireless mouse) click record as the two arrows are above the button........

It really a simple idea, when I move my mouse it sends a signal to the USB receiver and a little arrow moves on the screen, if there are two computers each with their own receiver, then two arrows on two monitors move at the same time.......just like two TV's change channel off the same remote if they are within range and are on the same frequency.
IT is more of a desktop layout and monitor sizing consistency between the two systems than anything else.....

keep shinin

There’s always duct tape!

I’ve been saving my old shoe strings if you want 'em…

D

Quote: (Diogesneez @ Apr. 01 2009, 9:10 PM)

I've been saving my old shoe strings if you want 'em...

D

that will go well with my budget for this idea,

fortunately for me I already have two PC's both with windows XP on them and everything else I am going to need to send quality signals to both, besides a tested way to navigate and monitor both of them simultaneously. :)

keep shinin

Late to this thread -
Jerm - If I read this right (questionable) you want to take the same audio stream to two different computers at the same time.
So the sync you are looking for is really just starting the record on both boxes at the same time.
Is this correct?

Or do you actually want to control both boxes at the same time with each mouse click.
So if you typed ‘save file as’ on one box, it would do the same thing on the other box.

Found a possible solution for simultaneous control of two computers.

You can try using wireless keyboards and mice of the same type and manufacturer, then use the same channel on the receivers of each PC.

Or this:

Quote:

I tried this with two PC’s a few years ago and it worked:

how about using USB Keyboard/Mouse, connected to a usb hub (non-powered) and have each computer connected to that hub using A-A usb cables?
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Apr. 02 2009, 2:31 PM)

Found a possible solution for simultaneous control of two computers.

You can try using wireless keyboards and mice of the same type and manufacturer, then use the same channel on the receivers of each PC.

Or this:

Quote:

I tried this with two PC's a few years ago and it worked:

how about using USB Keyboard/Mouse, connected to a usb hub (non-powered) and have each computer connected to that hub using A-A usb cables?

Yep that was what I was thinking,

my only problem was where the specific commands would be visually on the desktop, like opening Ntrack, the record button etc etc, so that as I mouse to the left or right, the same image would be under the arrow from startup to finish.

Somehow I got the feeling I am going to keep sliding all the way top right or bottom left to get them to align from time to time, kinda resetting their positions as they slip.(or if they do not begin in the same place at startup.

Technically it is not the "same" audio stream, but close enough, the one is generated off the GNX4 with amp sims and FX processor, while the other can be either a clean signal off the GNX4 or sent through say a Mesa Boogie and then a mixer, and Firewire interface to the other PC.
I could set both to record at 48000, 96000, or vary the two, but one signal would be converted within the GNX4 while the other inside the M-audio/firewire interface.

The goal would be that at any time should one system fail at boot up or loose a crucial XP file disabling it permanently I would always have a usable system available with all the current files on it, zero downtime in studio.

keep shinin

Nice one, D. That’s gotta be the way to go - a gig machine - that’s what they’re built for. Acronis sounds like the kind of tool we all need - like jeans and tooth brushes.

I used to drag an ST around, just to make profanities ring out of the kit thru a sampler. What a pain that was! Two mates guarding it in case it got touched or breathed on :agree:

‘Go for it’, Jerm. Get the HD tool.