I'll Be Home for Christmas

Christmas song with sound effects

I recorded this song a few years ago. I found several sound effects on the web to use and made a few myself.

http://www.keithredingband.com/IllbehomeforChristmas.mp3

Keith

You know, the danger with that sort of thing is that it will come off sounding cheesy or forced or artificial, but I found myself entirely taken with the narrative. Plus your vocals are great. What’d you use for recording them?

Thanks for your comments.

It was recorded using a Presonus Firepod as the hardware and n-tracks 4. Bass and keys were direct in. For vocals, I used medium condensor mic. I think the guitar was recorded using a Traynor YCV40 amp with a SM57 mic. Everything was rather basic. The drums were just PC Drummer.

awww yeah, I really liked this…it could so easily have sounded overdone but sounded really natural…ditto Tom too, nice tone. :agree:

Wow, you did a fabulous job on the vocals with such minimal tools. Guitar sounds great too. Traynor sound great. I had a traynor back in the 1970s, didn’t think much of it at the time…

Really smooth version, like the update with the samples from the current events, interesting, very smooth.

For some reason I dl-ed this when you first posted it, but didn’t listen until tonight. Now I wish I had not waited.

I have to ask, though; did you record your own car door noises, or use store-bought sounds?

'til later!
tony w

I found the car door noises for free on the internet somewhere.
I don’t recall the URL.
I had to make the walking shoe noises myself for the end of the song.
I walked on a piece of plywood with dress shoes and put a mic on the floor.
The wind noises, bells and other effects were all ones I found on the internet.
I sang the lead and played the trumpet, guitar (except for the beginning guitar part) and keys.
My daughter did the girl part at the beginning and end.
She was 12 at the time.
The news radio clip is from NPR.

I’m not sure why I panned the trumpet and intro guitar to opposite side for the intro. Now, I’m glad I did because it could represent a virtual separation for the soldier and his family. Or… maybe not. I guess that is subject to interpretation.

Thanks for the comments.
It was really fun recording this song.
I tried to create uncertainty whether the two guys were going to the home to let the wife and family know that their husband/father had died in Iraq or if it was actually the soldier coming home for the holidays.
Not sure how well that came off.
That is why the voices are so serious in the car.
Ultimately, I had to have a happy ending.

Keith

Here are two more songs I recorded for that Christmas album. One is the Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting …) and the other one is Thank God for Kids written by Eddy Raven and recorded by the Oakridge Boys.

www.keithredingband.com/ChristmasSong.mp3

www.keithredingband.com/ThankGodForKids.mp3

Keith

Those are great, Keith. You sing them beautifully, and your voice is mixed really nicely with the rest. How do you feel about the drum tracks you’ve been using? Might be nice if you got phoo or someone to overdub a little soup stirring to replace, e.g., the somewhat mechanical track in the Christmas Song. All the other instruments are so well done.

Quote: (Keith Reding Band @ Nov. 14 2009, 10:10 PM)

I tried to create uncertainty whether the two guys were going to the home to let the wife and family know that their husband/father had died in Iraq or if it was actually the soldier coming home for the holidays.

Well, you kinda` foreshadowed that by having them wonder out loud if the family had been called - the military does not call ahead when delivering the bad news. Which is good, I liked that; it made a more complete story arc.

'til next time;
tony w

I agree about the drums. I didn’t have a drum set then but I do now. I really should replace them with real drums. Thanks for the feedback.

Keith