I'm a pirate! Argg!!!

or so flavio told me…

Well, I went to reinstall the latest N after a windows reinstall and got a “these codes have been reported as being spread around the internet by pirates” (paraphrased). I emailed flavio and I’m sure it’ll be worked out. I’m just cuious if others have had this happen to them, or just me?

fish

Yeah, just shoot of an email to him and you’ll get the proper ones.

I e-mailed Flavio the other day, because i found N-Tracks bundled with a bunch of other freebie softwares on EBay some one was selling the bundle with no reserve, for whatever. so I e-mailed Flavio to alert him that he was being pirated. I also found Multitrack Studios being done the same way, there is no way these guys have permission to bundle these softwares and it needs to be stopped. I hope someone did not acidently get your registration code, that would suck. but I assume what they are doing is to buy one and then share the reg codes with everyone out there some how.

there is no way these guys have permission to bundle these softwares and it needs to be stopped
That's probably ok to do as long as they don't include the codes. Most shareware is freely distributable as long as nothing is changed and they don't include hacks or reg codes. That's what all those of Fred Fish disks were.

Though it is always better to download stuff from the source. That's about the only way you know you are getting what you think you are getting.

The reg code problem has popped up a lot. The emailed codes might even be incorrectly auto-generated. Obviously, something triggers n-Tracks into thinking they are not legit.

As long as you and Flavio know you are legit you'll get fix up in no time.

This is almost like leaving the store and the clerk didn't demagnetize the theft thing in a DVD. It's embarrassing to have that beeper go off even when you know you paid for it.

Fish, this happens from time to time. One wonders how someone got your code, but I think it’s clear (since it’s happened several times) that it usually isn’t caused by the legit n-Track users. (Or do you post your codes where someone could find them?) I suspect there’s a flaw in how the codes are distributed by the company Flavio uses to handle the money.

Let us know if you don’t hear back from Flav right away. Most likely you will; he’s always very responsive about this kind of thing.

Robo, Paying for bundled shareware/freeware is a kind of lazy tax. Just like those mail in rebates, deals where only lazy folks get dinged.

I don’t fall for the bundled freeware, but I must confess I do pay the lazy tax now and then for stuff I buy at Circuit City. In any case, making lazy folks pay a premium is probably an excellent business model! :wink:

Yeah. I heard back from him. I didn’t give the codes to anyone, and the codes I had he said was legit. The cause must be related to my reinstall of windows. I installed a second copy of windows in a seperate folder so I wouldn’t lose all my files. It worked other than the fact that some of my program files are acting wierd when I reinstall the applications. but hey, its working now. No problem.

No it isn’t anything you did, other than installing the latest N. The program has a list of cracked codes (or something like that). There might be some problems with the way this list is handled, or it might be that someone was clever enough to come up with your code using decyphering techniques (kinda hard to believe, since that takes a lot of hard work – way more than $75 worth!) Or someone just got lucky. Or someone maintaining the list of cracked codes mistyped. Or … or … or …

I had this problem as well. I hope I’m not sharing the inner workings to much, but Ntracks registration used to (might still do) run on a certain interval… there was a specific formula that would get you the registration key, so someone might have used that to get the reg key you have. An example in what I mean is say one serial key is 400 and the next is 800 and the next is 1600 and the next is 3200 <-- notice the patern? Similar to how Ntracks reg keys are generated. But Ntracks regs are much more complex! :cool:

The title of this topic prompts me to pass along a good joke I heard recently:

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel sticking out of his pants zipper. The bartender says “Do you know you have a steering wheel sticking out of your pants zipper?” The pirate says “Aarrgh, it’s driving me nuts!”

I thought everyone got sent the same codes from digiwhoeverwhatsit, actually. Be too easy to pass that around and tehn for Flavio to search for it on the web, disable that key in the next build…

Quote (vivona @ Jan. 19 2005,22:58)
The title of this topic prompts me to pass along a good joke I heard recently:

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel sticking out of his pants zipper. The bartender says "Do you know you have a steering wheel sticking out of your pants zipper?" The pirate says "Aarrgh, it's driving me nuts!"

Aargh! :)

When I registered 3.x with “digiwhoeverwhatsit” (per Willi’s post :slight_smile: my credit card number was stolen and used a few times before I cought it. When I updated to 4.x I did it via snailmail, and Flavio sent me the codes back. I didn’t trust using that same method again.

Dave

I had this problem. i just purchased ntrack over the net here about 10 minutes ago and just about punch a hole through my hotrod deville. i sent a query through the support thing. how long does it take for the one known as “Flavio” to get back to you?

Flavio is in Rome. He’s usually pretty quick, but it’s a weekend. Give him a day or so, unless he’s out of town.

I also had this problem with some software called 3d Combine (a stereo-3d picture creation program). I upgraded to the latest version, and on starting it: “Your codes have been found to be distributed on the internet”.

I emailed the author straight away and explained that I wasn’t a pirate, and he was happy to send me a new code. He explained that sometimes people just crack the codes, so it was unlucky that the cracker happened to find mine.

I registered via fax and got me reg infor via email a few days later.

what do you call a pirate that skips class?
Captain hooky!

What has 8 arms and 8 legs?
8 Pirates!

Mr Soul