I'm considering a new digital interface

What would you suggest?

I am looking for an 8 channel interface, 8 preamps, ADAT as well as analog in/out to use with a PC laptop.
What unit would you suggest?
Bax

EMU1616M comes to mind. Buncha guys at Audiominds have it I think… Maybe drop Mac a PM over there. He uses one with a laptop and with an adapter, also uses it with his desktop DAW.

D

If money is no object, check out RME’s line of Firewire interfaces. They can also do dual purpose laptop and desktop duties rather elegantly.

D

Hey, Presonus has some nice firewire interfaces…digimax fs, firestudio, firepod… check out their website, www.presonus.com, also, they got a few videos on you tube that are really helpful…

you say PC Laptop and ADAT - ADAT as default on a Laptop is a very rare thiing indeed - OK on a PC, ADAT is far more expensive than adding a FIREWIRE CARD but ADAT will work across all systems that can accept it as it is a standard set set by the ALESIS company and not at the whim of a PC designer - i have RME 24in 24out unit in PCI format - PC express is now suppoted - you can get cardbuss ADAT systems for aptops from RME. look ot their website for more info -

M.R.

I, too, am considering upgrading. Unfortunately, gear in NZ is often thrice (and at least twice) as expensive as it is in the USA (for instance). That said:

Phonic’s Helix Board 18 Firewire MkII looks interesting…so does Yamaha’s N12.

Alesis’ “MultiMix 16 USB 2.0” is reviewed in Sound On Sound’s August issue.

Regards,
Fuggle