In the new beta - surround processing question

I just downloaded the newest ntrack beta and installed it. No problems there.

Yep, the mixer tracks do not align correctly - major graphics glitches there - I have seen others state this same problem - easily overlooked as it doesn’t seem to affect anything other than the aesthetics.

However, in my surround setup - which works GREAT for watching movies in surround, did not seem to 100% work in ntrack. I loaded in a helicopter sample and moved it around with the surround panner - very nice by the way - the front and center work fine. However, the rears and subwoofer do not work at all.

Do I need to define the production as a surround production? In windows, my speaker setup is defined as a surround speaker setup.

Now, I do have a pretty interesting setup, it’s an emu1820m with both Tannoy monitoring speakers for two track work and logitech thx certified 5.1 surround speakers for surround work. The logitechs plugin beautifully to the emu in a dedicated monitoring section which I have defined in the patchmix software and work quite well. The reason for the logitechs and not some expensive setup is that I do a lot of game composing - music for games - and most people will have this kind of a setup and not jbl’s all the way around.

Funny enough, my home theatre has jbl’s all the way around - so when I test in there it’s more high end than in here. I find that funny. The Tannoy’s I use for monitoring mostly - they are studio grade near field monitors and sound fantastic. I do have auralex on most surfaces, so it is a dead room.

So, if anyone can help me - great! If it’s my setup - I need to find out what’s going on. I ntrack is simply not ready yet - understood.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

i can’t speak to the surround problem, but i’ve made a few bug reports on graphics glitches and it has been looking good lately… at least for me (are you using build 1951?)

i would send in a bug report via the “support” page… might be helpful to take some screen shots of the the glitch happening to help describe the problem.

Quote (Karmacomposer @ Sep. 06 2005,21:02)
However, in my surround setup - which works GREAT for watching movies in surround, did not seem to 100% work in ntrack. I loaded in a helicopter sample and moved it around with the surround panner - very nice by the way - the front and center work fine. However, the rears and subwoofer do not work at all.

Do I need to define the production as a surround production? In windows, my speaker setup is defined as a surround speaker setup.

Now, I do have a pretty interesting setup, it's an emu1820m

The project doesn't have to be configured as a surround project. What kind of drivers are you using? Try selecting Emu Asio drivers in the Preferences/Audio devices dialog box. Also make sure that all needed output channels are activated (by default the program selects only the first stereo pair) in the View/Soundcards settings/Playback format/Select I/O channels dialog box.
Then make sure that the surround channels correctly match the speakers in the Surround Configuration dialog box that appears clicking on the surround format sign in the upper right corner of the surround panner window (the expanded one, that appears right clicking on the surround panner on the mixer).

Flavio.

Flavio,

I am using the emu asio 2.0 drivers. Have been all along - that is what is selected in n-track as well.

Now, here’s the dilemma. I checked the soundcard playback settings dialog box as you mentioned in your reply, and there is no “select I/O channels dialog box” visible - it simply is not there!!!

What now? I can watch a movie encoded with dolby digital 5.1 surround and it works great - so what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Mike

Flavio,

To make things even more confusing, I checked the RECORDING OPTIONS under the VIEW menu and sure enough, there was a I/O options button. Upon clicking the button, it shows for inputs that I have EMU, EMU-1 AND EMU-2 and under outputs it only shows EMU

Again, under playback settings there is no I/O button to select I/O devices.

Mike

Flavio? Any ideas? I really wish to make this work.

Quote (Karmacomposer @ Sep. 07 2005,08:49)
Flavio,

To make things even more confusing, I checked the RECORDING OPTIONS under the VIEW menu and sure enough, there was a I/O options button. Upon clicking the button, it shows for inputs that I have EMU, EMU-1 AND EMU-2 and under outputs it only shows EMU

Again, under playback settings there is no I/O button to select I/O devices.

Mike

It looks like the Asio driver is making only one stereo pair available. You may have to change the settings in EMU Patchmix control panel to enable more output channels.

Flavio.

Flavio, I cannot find anyway to add more ouput channels. I have all the DOCK channels set to mix on the patchmix application, except for DOCK 4 and headphones, which are to my monitor mix.

If you have any knowledge of the patchmix software as it relates to surround sound I would appreciate any input you have.

Thank you.

Mike Felker

Flavio,

Just to let you know, the glitches in the new beta are pretty bad - the mixers have major graphics flaws (they don’t line up well at all) and if you check the box in the preferences / paths section that says “allow 3rd party program to interact with ntrack” (or something like that), it crashed ntrack, corrupted it and I had to re-install ntrack and then uncheck that box. For future reference, is there a way to delete or default the preferences if you cannot get into ntrack at all. It crashed every single time till I reinstalled it.

I am going to call emu and see if they have answers about the surround issues I am having.

Mike

Quote (Karmacomposer @ Sep. 08 2005,09:49)
Flavio, I cannot find anyway to add more ouput channels. I have all the DOCK channels set to mix on the patchmix application, except for DOCK 4 and headphones, which are to my monitor mix.

If you have any knowledge of the patchmix software as it relates to surround sound I would appreciate any input you have.

Thank you.

Mike Felker

I think the way to add output channels with Patchmix is to click on the little * button in the upper left corner, select Host source and an then something like Asio 3/4.
Regarding the graphic glitches, please post here or email me (support@ntrack.com) screenshots showing the problem. Make sure you’re running the latest build as most of the recent builds contained small fixes to graphic problems related to the mixer window.

Flavio.