Interesting article... not surprised myself...

Atlanta most “wired” US city.

ARTICLE LINK

I used to go to Atlanta a LOT during the late 80’s. The place is nothing like it was then. Growth EVERYWHERE. Pretty soon they’ll take “GEORGIA” off all the maps and just make the font for Atlanta bigger… Anywho, this kinda sparked my curiosity…

How do YOU connect to the web? What size community do you live in? I’ll go first.

Cable Modem broadband 256K - Podunk town approx 14,500 people.

NEXT! :D

D

Ok I’ll bite…

Male, Gemini, ISO redemption song,
Likes long walks on the beach, fishing, mankind.
Basically, you put me on a lake with a pole and a guitar and I’m a happy camper.

Prefer tall dark and luscious, but being married that possibility is out of the question.
:laugh:

Hailing from a average size town in Pennsylvania, Bethlehem POP 55,000. (not be be confused with Bethlehem, Israel)

Internet stats have already been compiled in the “Yikes” thread. Including but not limited to ISP, PPP, addresses and time of logon. :p

I have been hearin’ alot about the Atlanta music scene, mostly good. I dunno if you remember a while back when I had that issue with a song I released for a comp, on Ghost Records… long story short, at least I was unleashed in the east. :laugh:
A learning experience to say the least.

Keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Geez Jerm… you gave me a lot of stuff I REALLY didn’t need to know and nothing I did… :)

D

Quote (Diogenes @ Sep. 09 2006,03:18)
Geez Jerm... you gave me a lot of stuff I REALLY didn't need to know and nothing I did... :)

D

S.O.P. (standard operating procedure)

What did we learn here?

We learned he likes male space cadets singing redemption songs, likes to troll on the beach fishing for men and would be happy to be hung from a pole in the middle of a lake. I'd be a happy camper to see that last one come true!

We learned he was born in Bethlehem, maybe not in a manger, but, surely in a barn. We learned he still can't spell Israel.

We learned he was compiled in the "Yikes" thread and thinks someone is stalking him.

Then we learned that some ghost (holy?) released a song of his and caused a terror alert on the east coast.

We also learned that I'm quite witty!

:p :p :p

Me: Cable Broadband 384+ and I live in the West's most Midwestern town: Population (metro included) approx 4 million.

Forbes chart means nada. I didn't think much of their criteria for choosing.

KF

<!–QuoteBegin>

would be happy to be hung from a pole in the middle of a lake

Why you done bring me into this? :(

Quote (Kingfish @ Sep. 09 2006,20:17)
We learned he likes male space cadets singing redemption songs, likes to troll on the beach fishing for men

Leave your personal fantasies out of this.

We learned he was born in Bethlehem

What does where your are born have to do with where you live now? To bad wit doesn’t come with an attachment of intelligence.
I was born in east LA, no really man! Memorial Hospital.
We learned he was compiled in the “Yikes” thread and thinks someone is stalking him.

IF by that you mean someone keeps tagging threads after me with homo nerotic undertones, the shoe definitely fits.
We also learned that I’m quite witty!

If your definition of witty includes a dislike of something like religion and God with the inability to stop your mouse hand from clicking threads with Jesus in the title, than yes witty indeed.

Just one question what exactly is trolling the beach for men? I’m afraid I’m not up on your big city homo talk…
Quote (KingFish @ Sep. 09 2006,20:17)
West’s most Midwestern town: Population (metro included) approx 4 million.

let me guess San Francisco cabana boy?
Oh wait you said Mid-western, that would put you somewere in Texas.
Only steers and queers come from Texas and I don’t see any horns on you boy.

I think some Gal’s in your area said it best in song.
…sweetdarlin’,
Do you feel my hear beating,
Do you understand? Do you feel the same?
Am I only dreamin’, or is this poster an eternal flame!!!

Keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

1.4 million folks in Columbus, Ohio. 3.0 Mb/s DSL at home, 3.0 Mb/s Ganged T1s at work. Really, I am suprised how “slow” the cable and DSL in some of the places you are from. Are you all on synchronous DSL? I guessI should consider myself fortunate. You can’t even get a non-dial up connection in town that is less than 1.5Mb/s, and that’s the $12.99/mo asyncronous DSL plan. Basic cable lines start at 6Mb/s or so.

<!–QuoteBegin>

homo nerotic

I love that expression!

Not quite homo-erotic nor quite homo-neurotic; but the semantic potentialities therein are wonderful to contemplate. :D

Anyway KF, shame on you!

Jerm may well be incurably Jerm, but we still love him anyway. :)

Oh yeah Jerm, I still haven’t found THE dictionary yet, but I do have a dictionary; namely the Oxford English Dictionary, and sure 'nuff pardner…therein lies ‘Doolally’.

And although your definition is one of the listed ones; I think ‘charmingly eccentric’ is probably the meaning nearest to my intended one. :p

Anyway TG, sorry to continue with the usurpation of your thread.

Town (Kraaifontein - direct translation Crow Fountain) about 70 000 people.

We have 512 ADSL available, but the costs are too much at this stage for me :(

I have 56k dialup at home and we are connected to 256k at work.

2MB ADSL line @ home, umpteen MB line @ work, 160 000 souls in town ( http://www.trondheim.com/engelsk/ ), 30 000 or so are students.

Eyup!

The population of Goole is about 20,000 and we have ADSL up to 8Mb, although my ADSL connection is 1Mb

Steve

Just a question about DSL, and wondering if anybody has tried this…

I’ve found that too many phone filters around the house reduce data speed, so I was wondering if it’d be better to put a splitter on the phone line coming into the building, then put a single filter to connect to the phone outlets, and put the other splitter output direct to the ‘modem’.

It wouldn’t hurt, but I don’t know if it’d be enough of an improvement to justify the effort.

So, anyone tried that?

The splitter should be the first thing happening to your DSL/phone line inside your house/apt/cave to separate phone & DSL frequencies.

Eyup!

What t said.

Also, don’t forget that the performance of the DSL line will fall off pretty rapidly in accordance with cable length.

If you need more than about 2 metres of cable between where your phone point enters the house and your dsl modem, consider a wireless router.

Steve

Quote (Beefy Steve @ Sep. 12 2006,17:17)
If you need more than about 2 metres of cable between where your phone point enters the house and your dsl modem, consider a wireless router.

This is news to me. Do you mean between splitter & modem?
Quote (teryeah @ Sep. 12 2006,17:22)
Quote (Beefy Steve @ Sep. 12 2006,17:17)

This is news to me. Do you mean between splitter & modem?

Eyup!

Nope, from the phone line entry point into your home.

That's the spec in the UK. If you are having trouble with your ADSL connection and have a cable greater than 2 Metres long, including the bit before the splitter, you're on your own, so hard luck!

Steve

<!–QuoteBegin>

The splitter should be the first thing happening to your DSL/phone line inside your house/apt/cave to separate phone & DSL frequencies.

Unfortunately, it ain’t like that.

The multiband just comes in on the ordinary twisted pair, they make no changes to the cave wiring or connection at all.

So the bottom 4k or so is analogue POTS and the upper bands carry the digital channels.

I suppose they do it that way for convenience, you can stick the “modem” in any phone socket in the house, but the downside is that any socket used for 'phone needs a filter, but that’s just a simple pass through plug-in.

But the thing that bothers me, is that the house wiring is in no way impedance matched, so every filter is going to have an effect on not just the signal passing through it, but also the high band stuff on the other side.

Anyway, I 'spect I’ll just have to try splitting at the input and see if it helps or not. :)

PS. Steve, soggy string can carry DSL for a couple of metres with no problem. :p :D

Hey Pancho Ali-dude…

Everything you ever wanted to know about DSL/POTS wiring HERE. Ignore the bits about the sex life of African Pygmies… (or not ??? ) :D

D

Thanks TG, that was just the information I was looking for.

As Beefy and Teryeah said, it seems that a splitter is the best idea. So thanks guys. :)