Is there a pre-roll when recording in overdub mode

Trying to find out if I can do a preroll say 4 bars to where I want to start my overdub so I can play it in more smoothly?

Thanks!

One way would be to Clone the track, minus the WAV files, so that the EQ settings match and start your new track from wherever you’re comfortable (providing you have sufficient preceding space). You can blend the tracks accordingly by drawing-in a Volume Envelope.

Tony, thanks for the suggestion, but that is not what I’m looking for, kinda like fitting square peg in a round hole.
So far what I’m doing is starting a few bars earlier and then merging the previous with new track at comfortable point, but it is still backwards to what I’m used to from tracktion , Studio one and other apps.

Urhm!? Ok - I’m not quite sure that I’m with you. Would “preroll” be ‘lead-in’/‘count-in’ etc?

I’ll try in more detail. So you have a punch in at bar 60 on a track, you tell it to punch in at 60 but when you set preroll to 2 bars and hit record, it will start playing at bat 58 and will start recording on bar 60.

I’m with you now. I’ve not played around with all that punch-in malarkey. :laugh: I’d still create a new track and work on the crossfade/punch-in post recording.

It works great in other DAWs as you can play along a few bars before that and create a punch in at the dot with the right flow and not need to do any edits later. Saves a lot of time and those pesky fades in between punch ins.
Thanks for your input!

I’d still go the new track route - but I’m a sucker for all those pesky editing jobs.

what I’m doing is starting a few bars earlier and then merging the previous with new track at comfortable point, but it is still backwards to what I’m used to from tracktion , Studio one and other apps.

Moved, no longer a tip.