Josh Whites version of "House of the rising sun"

I can’t find tab of this anywhere… Just wondering if any of you that hear it and play it by ear, can tell me what you hear. I hear a G in there and areas that are around C and stuff… but right now, I’ve had too many beers to get a good listen… I’ll try tomorrow… but was just curious what anyone else thought too. I love this version of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Ueo7r2nbA

My soundcard (the mackie ONYX) does not like Utube for whatever reason…but I am familiar with the soulful renditions of most of the classics (what self respecting musician would be without that?)…

But I do cover this song in live sets venturing a bit away from the Animals
version maybe a bit closer to Josh Whites style.

I use a drop D tuned 12 String Takamine EF381C with a CLNCHORUS setting on my GNX4, along with playing it out of G (like Josh) but since it is on a guitar tuned to D it is actually starting as Aminor (but Gminor) for 1, and lands on Emajor open strings. (which is actually D)
I also throw in a flat key at the top of the melody, kinda like a C7, only at the 8th fret on a D tuned guitar…don’ ask me what chord that really is, twice removed,…

Me pops jams a mean blues lead to this (kinda John Lee Hooker meat Eric Clapton)…people eat it up like wip cream on strawberries at me local pub.
With a few pints in us everybody LOVES this song!
I’ve seen a old lady on PBS preform it and had to sit all the way through even though she sang out of pitch and did nothing interesting musically whatsoever…it’s just that strong of a song.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Not drop tuning in JW’s version. By ear it sounds like he has a capo on the third fret and is mostly playing Cm - Eb - G7, with some changed, and when he gets to the Eb he throws in a Gb against an octave above a G. Very spare voicing.

Man, was he good or what.

Thanks guys for some of the input. I was wondering… did they Drop D like that back in 1947? Hell… I didn’t even know they Capo’d back then either! :)

Ok… thanks guys… I’m going to try that with the Capo, and see what shakes loose. :)

I seem to remember that Django used open tunings. But my memory is not what it ever was.

wowzers, that song is sooo awesome. It’s one of my favourite songs that I cover on my tour, it’s one of those songs you can really get your teath into…loose yourself completely and awake to find yourself shaking on a stage you forgot you were standing on…beautiful. I play it in Am on Open.

This is a wonderful version…i’ll look forward to hearing your version.

Ange x

Most of us learned it in Am b/c of the Animals version, but this one seriously kicks…

I’d never heard this version before - Wow! A new fav’ for me.
Thanks for that Midnight.

Ange! Any chance of hearing yours?

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 12 2010, 3:56 PM)

I'd never heard this version before - Wow! A new fav' for me.

well, it's not perfect, and it's a bit of a rough recording...but it's live and acoustic, taken straight from my tour. enjoy :D

http://www.angehardy.com/forummp3/rising-sun-live.mp3

Hi ange:

Nice Energy…

AND…
Nice Live, Room Acoustics…
I presume Rob is hanging a mic out in your audience, now…
:agree:
:p
:laugh:

Bill…

Cheers, Ange. Lovely, that.

:;):

Frigid Pink did the best version of this tune ever. :) :agree:

Wasn’t there a killer version on Ian Whitcomb’s Yellow Underground? :laugh:

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 10 2010, 12:44 AM)

My soundcard (the mackie ONYX) does not like Utube for whatever reason...but I am familiar with the soulful renditions of most of the classics (what self respecting musician would be without that?)....

But I do cover this song in live sets venturing a bit away from the Animals
version maybe a bit closer to Josh Whites style.

I use a drop D tuned 12 String Takamine EF381C with a CLNCHORUS setting on my GNX4, along with playing it out of G (like Josh) but since it is on a guitar tuned to D it is actually starting as Aminor (but Gminor) for 1, and lands on Emajor open strings. (which is actually D)
I also throw in a flat key at the top of the melody, kinda like a C7, only at the 8th fret on a D tuned guitar....don' ask me what chord that really is, twice removed,....

Me pops jams a mean blues lead to this (kinda John Lee Hooker meat Eric Clapton)....people eat it up like wip cream on strawberries at me local pub.
With a few pints in us everybody LOVES this song!
I've seen a old lady on PBS preform it and had to sit all the way through even though she sang out of pitch and did nothing interesting musically whatsoever....it's just that strong of a song.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

"John Lee Hooker meat Eric Clapton... BAWAHAHAHAHA!! Stop! I can't take anymore... STOP!
:D
Quote: (ange @ Oct. 13 2010, 12:39 PM)

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 12 2010, 3:56 PM)

I'd never heard this version before - Wow! A new fav' for me.

well, it's not perfect, and it's a bit of a rough recording...but it's live and acoustic, taken straight from my tour. enjoy
:D

http://www.angehardy.com/forummp3/rising-sun-live.mp3

very pretty voice.