Just got back ftrom the Dominican Republic

…there during the earthquake

Hey - I just got back from a one week trip to the Dominican Republic.

Interesting trip. The weather could have been better but considering the earthquake that happened and all - I guess I can’t complain.

The earthquake was quite interesting. When it hit I was walking on Highway 5, making my way into the Town of Rio San Juan. Walking ahead of me was a guy on a donkey; I was just walking along in my sandals. The earthquake hit and, from that distance, it wasn’t really bad but you definitely noticed it. I’ve been in three Earthquakes prior to this one and they all passed much more quickly; this one went on for at least a minute - at least.

Anyway, I got so distracted by the shaking of the earth that I didn’t pay attention to where I was going and, before I knew it, I stepped into a big steaming pile of Pat Robertson…

Hi Bill:

You must have been on the first plane back up this way…
OR one of them…
Are the stories we’re getting up here really accurate????
When it hit, how far from the city-and-center of the quake were you?
I’m under the impression that it not very secure there…
Lots of lawlessness there… What’s your impression ?
Seems to me there are a lot of Canucks there…

Bill…

Hey Bill,

I was on the North Shore - about as far away from Haiti as you can be and still be on the island. No problems there, at all. The airport at Puerto Plata was functioning fine - a bit of a delay getting through immigration as they were dealing with a fire but otherwise - you couldn’t even tell there had been a problem.

My second trip to the DR - I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.

Thanks for coming back here to reply… I see you up here…

I’ll bet somehow your glad to be back home… That RCMP guy that was missing is from down here on the East Coast… Tough story there… Too Bad…

Bill…

We are all shaking our heads, in these parts, regarding what seems to be going on there… It’s all that seems to be reported in the news in these parts… It’s so sad to hear…

Bill…

The deaths of Georges Anglade and his wife Mireille Neptune are particularly tragic.

That’s pretty amazing Bill. There’s nothing that quite compares to the feeling
of an earthquake. But for close to a minute long. Holy cow. That can seem
like an eternity. You really were right on the edge of disaster. You have to
wonder how you make it through this life sometimes. I’m sure that experience will
be tatooed on your brain for the rest of your life.
Maybe you can put those sandals up on Ebay.

What a tragedy for Haiti. Hard for me to watch anymore.

Just been catching up with the news. F
£$%! They need more help, now!

The news doesn’t appear to be slowing down…
It’s one horrible report after another…
There has yet to be any good news coming outta there… It seems to be mainly a French speaking country…

Bill…

Glad to see you fared well Bill,

I was wondering if there was going to be a wav from that (like a Tsunami) or something hit an adjacent shore, but this does not seem to be the case.

I have never been to the DM, but it sounds like a good place to stop on the world tour 2004, yes we are a bit behind schedule but carrying on undaunted. :p

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Funny thing Jeremy - even though I had no idea about the level of destruction in Haiti I was a little worried about the possibility of a Tsunami after the quake so I kept checking the shoreline. A sudden drop in the water level is a dead giveaway that a Tsunami is about to hit. After maybe 12 hours I stopped worrying and stopped checking but up until then I had my plan for rapid departure all worked out.

Funny the Pat Robertson you think about when that sort of thing happens.

Quote: (BillClarke @ Jan. 15 2010, 7:22 PM)

When it hit I was walking on Highway 5, making my way into the Town of Rio San Juan. Walking ahead of me was a guy on a donkey; I was just walking along in my sandals.

Walking along a road in Hispaniola? I've been down there before. That's a great way to get shot or disappear mysteriously into the mangrove never to be heard from again. :)
Quote: (flanders @ Jan. 16 2010, 9:46 PM)

Walking along a road in Hispaniola?
I've been down there before.
That's a great way to get shot or disappear mysteriously into the mangrove never to be heard from again.
:)

Nah, the North Shore around Rio San Juan is fairly safe as long as you don't dress 'showy' or anything and can speak a little Spanish. I was walking because I'd just missed a Gua-Gua for transport and didn't know how long it would be before the next one came along.
Quote: (BillClarke @ Jan. 17 2010, 6:50 AM)

Quote: (flanders @ Jan. 16 2010, 9:46 PM)

Walking along a road in Hispaniola?
I've been down there before.
That's a great way to get shot or disappear mysteriously into the mangrove never to be heard from again.
:)

Nah, the North Shore around Rio San Juan is fairly safe as long as you don't dress 'showy' or anything and can speak a little Spanish. I was walking because I'd just missed a Gua-Gua for transport and didn't know how long it would be before the next one came along.

Most of the people who end up "wandering around" down there are unilingual pasty overweight American parrot-heads with their Magnum P.I. shirts, cargo shorts and Birkenstocks. :whistle: