latency (?) problems with n-track

don´t know what to do…very urgent !!

I´m having some trouble with n-track:
When I record a track, the wave-file is a little bit delayed and
it´s not as the time I recorded it. The thing is, I think it can´t be any latency, because while recording, I hear the signal almost without any latency, but the wave instead is moved a little bit to the right side in the timeline.

I use WinXP, 2400 Mhz, etc. with an Emagic EMI 6/2 Interface
and the newest version of n-track.

I hope you understand what my problem is cause my english isn´t that good. I CAN work with this problem cause I can move the recorded tracks to their original position, but that´s very awkward and involved !!
Could you help me please because I don´t have very much time… !!!

I guess you problem exists when you’re overdubbing?

Try pressing the record button right away, instead of pressing play button first and then rec. It helped me.

That’s called a “sync” problem. Latency is when you play a note and hear it later.

Try unchecking both “Preferences -> Options -> Use system timer for” checkboxes.
If that doesn’t work, try checking “Preferences -> Audio Devices -> Advanced -> Keep Devices Open”.

Let us know if it works.

There is a manual fix available if needed under:

File>Settings>Preferences>Audio Devices>Advanced

Here you can add a + or - value to compensate (within the compensate text box) for the latency of each track. I had to do this when I was running ME, but it seemed to fix itself when I went to the new drivers and XP. Anyway, I tried to use small values (thinking 5, 10, 15, etc) it ended up that I needed like 2300 as I recall. You may want to play around with this setting if the other options do not work for you.

By the way, make sure to hit the “Help” button for more info.

Dave

Dave

I’m not familiar with the Emagic but you should have two or three types of drivers available. If you are using MME drivers that could be the problem. If you have WDM or ASIO options use one of those. Go to Files/Preferences/Audio Devices to find the drivers.

First of all, thanks to all of you for your answers !
I think the problem was that I was overdubbing (I don´t really know what this means - and is it only a problem in n-track or is in it the most audio programs ?!). Wih pressing the record button, it´s almost everything fine.

But after theese three days I recorded with n-track I´ve got suuuuuch a long list of things in n-track which could be improved :-)…but nobody will take away my opinion that n-track IS the best audio software !!

Quote (stesa @ Dec. 29 2004,02:01)
I think the problem was that I was overdubbing (I don´t really know what this means - and is it only a problem in n-track or is in it the most audio programs ?!).

Overdubbing is not a problem at all.

At first you record the base track/tracks (like drums). When you record more tracks into the song, you add a solo or vocals or whatever, that's called overdubbing.

Benutzerhandbuch hier, bitte