Let's talk preamps...amp sims

I built an iso cabinet a few years ago for my guitar amp, having used them in a number of real smaller studios. One thing is true: it has to be designed correctly, or else it will sound like you stuck your amp in a box with a mic. I’m not saying that that’s what mine ended up sounding like. I would never confess to that. Unless you think that the sound of an amp in a box is a cool effect, in which case, I think I created the paradigm design for you. :)

Quote: (Mark A @ Feb. 02 2008, 5:05 AM)

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Feb. 02 2008, 1:08 AM)

It seems what you and Mark are saying is that these amp sims are also pre-amps, that is they will do more than just add FX to a flat low direct signal, they will "boost" it to a higher level just as a pre-amp would.

Yes.

You want one.

Go and buy one now.

Go on.

Stop reading this...fire up ebay.

You still here?

E-B-A-Y

:-)

Yes sir boss man. :D

Will do.

Look out world here I come! ready and raring to rock the sock puppets off the hands that feed! :peace:

Thank you all and there will be an honorable mention to the crew at Ntrack forum on the disk!

keep shinin'

jerm :cool:
Quote: (Mark A @ Feb. 01 2008, 2:19 AM)

The J-station is no longer in production so you may be better off getting a Pod.

Just one question if I do, will I be one of the POD people? (cue in eerie 50's music) :agree:

keep shinin'

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Feb. 01 2008, 7:36 PM)

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Feb. 01 2008, 7:26 PM)

Well golldern it Woy - maybe ya ort to try one question at a time. This thread holds the record fer 'em I rectum.

My answer would be yes - it's overkill all you need for that mike is phantom power.

I would be happy getting just one answered! lol

I do have phantom power on the Soundcraft Compact 10.

Anyhow I think Mark was right about the Marshal DPR-1 as much as I like the Marshall sound that particular device picks up hum from other devices and it's pots get scratchy...which if I wanted to do that I would just use the Randall RB-120 head and Ampeg stack I have and mic it with a Shure 57!(not that the 57 would add any hum but the head shure does! tee hee

speaking of unanswered questions....heres a few more for the gurus.... anyone ever hear of a isolation cabinet?
anyone have experience with the TAD FANTA?

keep shinin'

I've heard some recordings done with a Randall Isolation Cab that sounded pretty decent.

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/cabinets/isolation/index.asp

Quote:

I already know how to do that, TRASH has all sorts of amp models and sizes you can combine A-Z to create a software simulation for the tracks

Of course, I was kidding. To get EJ’s sound you would need 2 blackface Twins. No plug-in or amp simulator is going to give you that sound.