m-Audio 192 Card..

Is this a good price ???

They want $149.00 USD for it…

m-Audio 192 Card…

That’s about right Bill. Although… an Audiophile 96 can be had for less than a hunnert US bucks. Do you REALLY need 192K? I doubt it. Specially if you don’t have a seriously powerful PC to drop it in!

Both the AP96 and AP192 only have stereo I/O plus S/PDIF right? Is that enough I/O for you?

If you want to go M-Audio, I bet a nice 1010LT would be a better fit if you are gonna tie it in with a console in that new studio you are building…

D

Hi Dubious:

The only audio hardware I have that has A/D and D/A resolution beyond 16 bit specs. is the Lexicon CORE 32 hardware…
BUT '98SE is the best operating system the drivers are written for…
That’s O.K. to track with…
Editing of the files then becomes an issue if I work/edit In-the-Box…
I don’t mind tracking with v5 or earlier… then return to '98SE for mastering In-the-Box in '98SE and CORE 32/Lexicon and Alesis/Masterlink… You’re right…
I don’t need 192 k, however, that spec. is on the m-Audio 192 card…
Flavio, and n-Track does not work in '98SE anymore…

There are other alternatives…
I’ve pondered them…
I’m not sure if my creativity is up to the task…
???
:p
:laugh:

If only I was 23 again…

Bill…

Bill,

The Audiophile 192 is a very nice card, $149.00 is the usual street price. I have been using one for the past 5 months or so. If you want to capture more then 2 mono or 1 stereo track at a time then this is not the card for you. 192 = 2in 2out with 2 dedicated outs for record monitoring. My setup is in and out through a Mackie Big Knob. This allows me to choice between 3 different input sources, tape, MD8, or mixer, and out to any or all of 3 different sets of monitors, old Ditton 110 reference, KRK RP8s, or Harmon Karden.

You can slave 2 192s together in one box via the SPIDF I/O. This will sync the word clocks.

If you are going to finally upgrade your box,boat anchor,dinosaur, you might also want to look at the ESI line of cards. They have several that are now offered in PCI-Express.

Duff

Hi duffman:

I need to address this issue/detail as the studio comes together…
I’ve been overlooking this audio hardware for far too long… This “Mackie Big Knob” you talk about is intriguing…
Maybe I can incorporate this Mackie Big Knob with the Alesis MasterLink
I got for the studio
when it all gets together…
I’d like to have the ability/choice to mix-and-edit Inside–and-Outside the Box At Will… with a card like the m-Audio and the Lexicon LDI-12T Two-Track and the three LDI-10T 8-Track Lexicon Hardware…

Maybe, I am headed in the right direction…after all…
I think I just need an audio card that is capable of handling a two-track stereo 24 bit res. audio files using XP as the operating system…

Bill

[EDIT]
I am replying to Ryan at Sweetwater at the same time…

"Hi Ryan:
I’m up on a messageboard as I reply to you… Thanks for the quick reply to my mail… Here’s a copy-and-paste of the Thread that I’m on…

“Hi duffman:
I need to address this issue/detail as the studio comes together… I’ve been overlooking this audio hardware for far too long… This “Mackie Big Knob” you talk about is intriguing… Maybe I can incorporate this Mackie Big Knob with the Alesis MasterLink I got for the studio when it all gets together… I’d like to have the ability/choice to mix-and-edit Inside-and-Outside the Box… At Will… with a card like the m-Audio and the Lexicon LDI-12T Two-Track and the three LDI-10T 8-Track Lexicon Hardware…

Maybe, I am headed in the right direction…after all… I think I just need an audio card that is capable of handling a two-track stereo 24 bit res. audio files using XP as the operating system…

Bill”

You see I use-and-have Lexicon CORE-32 audio hardware that I track-and-master, with… However, no drivers are written for that hardware later than '98SE… I’m happy to continue to track and create files with that stuff… I’m just not able to EDIT 24-bit res. files in-the-box with XP using that Hardware/Stuff…

I’m O.K. going down this road for the time-being… Maybe, I’ll regret I ever considered this route… We’ll see…

Thanks for a quick reply on this mail/discussion, topic…

Bill…

[EDIT2] So… It continues… :whistle:

Well Bill,

After reading more of your hardware list, I’m not sure that you would not be better served with a 16 to 24 channel 8 bus mixer on the input side of a 192.

You could take the main outs from the mixer to the ins of the 192
Outs of the 192 back to the mixer
192s dedicated monitoring to a headphone amp.
All of your other outboard gear could be run through the mixer via buss asignment. The bus direct outputs could be routed to external recorders, monitors ect.

If I was to completely start over from scratch that is how I would do it. But, alas…

Duff

You should go to M-Audio.com and compare Bill.
I have 1010.
M-Audio is really great.
M-Audio.com Take a look.

I didn’t spend 749.95 for mine and I purchased it from a music store of all places. A huge music store but still a music store and I think I paid around 500 or so, I don’t remember the exact price. I would call around if I where you. Don’t confuse my mixes with the great quality you get with M. I’m just a picker.
Or maybe you could say. That picker gets a good sound because of M-Audio! I apologize for not reading all the post in this thread.
Levi

I got a reply from Ryan…
It’s tough to turn down…

Here’s my reply to him…

Hi Again Ryan:

I just got home…
Thank you for the quick reply to my mail…
I am
pondering your quote on the m-Audio 192 card…
I’m still toying with this
card as a resolve to my requirements for interfacing it with the
Masterlink…
We’ll see…
I’m not a spec freak but the 192 has specs.
dynamic range and noise floor and all that gives it the ability to interface
with out-board audio hardware that’s difficult to match at it’s
price-break…
The drivers are tough to beat as well…
Stability with
different operating systems and clock jitter and A/D-and-D/A converters are
tough to surpass, as well…

You see, I use a Hill Audio Console…
24-8-16-2…
the CORE-32 converters interface with the 24 strips…
8 of them patch with the 8 Group I/O’s… That takes care of the LDI-10T’s
Then the LDI-12T (Mastering interface) is interfaced with the Main Buss…
OR can be patch-bay’d with any of the 8-Group inserts…
That takes care of the Tracking requirements… 24-bit resolution,
in ASIO…
However, '98SE is the operating system level…

I have rarely-if-anytime used more than 4-8 inputs during a tracking session…
using n-Track v3.3 b 1516 as the multi-Track editor…

The old studio I had wasn’t able to track a drum kit…
and this new studio may be unable to track a kit, as well… at this point-in-time…
My mic locker just doesn’t have the necessary mics to do justice to a drum kit…
including outboard audio hardware…
The alternative is the trigger the drums and replace the trigger’d hits with samples…
However, that requires a lot of practice and drummer dedication…

The quandry continues…

Bill…

[EDIT] That Makie BigKnob still looks fasenating… $299.00 USD :agree:

m-Audio 192 Audio Card update:

I called Sweetwater this morning, looking for Ryan…
Saturday must be a day-off for him…
Good-For-Him…
I left a message for him on his message machine…

I think I’m gonna do the deal…
The card will go in the P-111 Intel/ASUS 1.2 mhz. with 512 meg of ram…
for doing Editing…
However, I’ll not remove the Creative Labs S/B 5.1 audio card…
if they’ll both reside on that machine…
I’m in no hurry to get the card…
The studio completion is somewhere, down-the-road…
I’ve been looking at that RME Audio hardware, as well…
BoY…
There’s some nice stuff on their page…

Bill…

m_Audio 192 Card Update:
I have the 192 Audio Card Ordered… I was shipped yesterday… The card will arrive on the 18th so-says-the Tracking info…

The invoice including shipping is $170.00 USD…

The card will become the analogue Front-end for the Alesis Masterlink… We’ll see…

Bill…